emilyneel

Painting pickle!

emilyneel
10 years ago
Would like to paint this dining room -any ideas appreciated. I don't like the muddy brown in here. I would love a blue grey color but don't know if I can pull it off. The adjacent room color is Benjamin Moore Greenmount silk. Help! The exterior of our house is yellow with dark green shutters. How I long for blue!

Comments (30)

• lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Hi - I tried a blue gray, but feel like a richer tone might be better. Partly as your dining set is fairly dark and heavy and might overpower a lighter shade. Would you be interested in changing up the chairs (upholstery) or in painting them?
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    It's your house, and if you want blue, I don't know why it wouldn't work. Keep in mind that if you and your family like it, that's all that matters.

Go to the website of a paint company, upload your picture in their decorator program, and apply different shades of blue until you find the one that suits your taste. I think a Newport blue would look very nice in your dining room as it would add to the richness and elegance of the dark wood, etc., etc.

Good luck.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lessismoore-
    How'd you do that?? Could you put in mineral alloy by benjamin Moore?
    It is richer. I agree- need something darker. Thank you!!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    According to BM, Greenmount silk goes well with Mineral alloy. And I think that thát would be a nice colour for your dining room :-)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    haha... crossed posts :-)
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Mineral alloy looks like a good one - This is color tuned (visually) to the chip. Caveat: just a visualization :-)
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Amsterdam? Seems a tad darker, maybe a tad more green in base?
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    A dining room is a great room too add colour. I like BM Buxton Blue.
    http://houzz.com/photos/5684531
  • Al Fikri
    10 years ago
    Blue is good idea, how about adding some furniture and table sets? I hope this will help: http://dhomedesign.com/dining-room-tables-setting-and-decoration/
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    lessismoore did a neat painting job :-)
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lessismoore - much better! Just for kicks if you have time- could you do a pic with brittania blue? It is one shade darker.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hayleydaniels-
    Do you mean Newburyport blue?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I like that last one.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    This one is nice too: Water's Edge Blue BM
    [houzz=]
    I could almost see doing a combo of these colors, a lighter and a darker version, and having a wide vertical striped accent wall. Pull the greenmount silk onto the ceiling.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lessismore : love, love your idea!! Totally doing that! Would have never thought of that combination. Looks amazing. You are brilliant, I say, brilliant! Now what on earth shall I do to the chair upholstery? Leave be or change?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Mind you, I can't quite see what the colours are in the chair fabric, but in the photos the blue doesn't really seem to work with that. So, if you want to do blue walls, you may have to reupholster the chairs for the best result?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    haha... crossed posts again :-D
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    Glad you like the stripes. I was hoping you would. It'll look stunning!
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much! I do think a reupholstery might work better. The frames of the chairs are so strong you could easily go "neutral" - so here is my first thought, do a classic gold and white damask? Or a tone on tone damask?
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    FANTASTICO! Gorgeous. Again- would never have thought of gold damask, but that works well as the chairs have gold in them! Also, can you tell me which two blues you used in the stripes?
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    That particular fabric is described as having Light Blue, Ivory, Green And Gold, I'm not "seeing" all that but, it might be even nicer in person (definite need for a swatch!) You have a curvy thing going on with the lovely chandelier, the carving in the chairs and the staircase ... so a "curvy" pattern seemed logical (if a subtle one) and blues and gold go so well together.
    I was working with mineral alloy and waters edge but britannia blue & mineral alloy might work too. On this ... you absolutely have to find one you like best and then find the next 2 shades lighter and of course, get samples and paint up some poster board before anything actually gets on the wall!
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    I think you should look for a gold, blue, and ivory fabric for the chairs to tie it all in together!
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    may be the wrong color...on computer of course, but I'm sure you could find some out shopping!!! :)
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Love the gold and cream with the blue on blue stripe.
  • PRO
    Totally Custom Wallpaper
    10 years ago
    The stripes can be done with custom wallpaper if painting does not appeal to you. It also could be removable, if that is your preference.
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Appreciate your insightfulness lessismore, will get to work with some samples!
    Still I have to know--what computer program allows you to put in all those details?
  • emilyneel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Totally custom wallpaper- will look into it!
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Hi emily - I use photoshop :-) Happy to hear it's been helpful. Just make sure you keep us in on any final reveal, okay?
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.