modernstyle19

Yes to mirror backsplash or NO.

Nicole
10 years ago
I have a mirror backsplash in the kitchen that was installed 15 yr. ago. Can anyone tell me if it's outdated style and needs to be replaced?

Comments (75)

• Deborah Palmer
    10 years ago
    You can look into PVC backsplash which comes in 25 foot rolls, resembles the look of tin tiles for a much more affordable price. It is flexible, easy to trim and to install onto smooth, clean surface with an adhesive product. Available in a variety of designs and color finishes such as copper, silver, white, cream, gold, blue and black. www.deborahdesigns.net
  • ncollado
    10 years ago
    Definitely replace it. Here is an idea.
  • Related Discussions

Make my room more impressive

Q

Comments (127)
    Lots of ideas....couldn't resist adding my two cents. i copied your photos and did a little cut and paste- it's messy, but hopefully gets the main idea across. i'd put your sofa in front of the large book case, chair by the fireplace, tv on the stand on the wall opposite the fireplace - so you can either look at the fire or the tv. Someone suggested using frames of one color for your photos - an inexpensive way to do that would be to spray paint them all a dark color-black goes with everything. Since your shelves are a medium tone wood, display things that are dark or light so that they contrast against the wood. Limiting your display items pallette to a few values usually helps to unify things. (I think that's why so many people want to paint the shelves or put inserts in the back to help your nice things read more clearly...some get lost). If you want to "splurge" -you may consider having a carpenter make a few solid tall cabinet doors to provide a visual break in the shelving. I'm showing 3 doors - 1 on the right side of the fireplace and 2 on the left to leave two open vertical shelves for display on each side - with things arranged to frame the fireplace as the focal point. To add some height to your big vases, consider stacking some books beneath them. Enjoy experimenting untill you get something you're happy with - good luck!
    ...See More

Need help with sofa choice for living room

Q

Comments (37)
    Hi, thanks for your comment. I totally agree - I actually have a large art print on order (vertical/ portrait orientation) and that will be replacing the mirror when it arrives. From previous comments I received everyone seems have different opinions on sofa choices but I think I'm pretty happy with the L shape one I've gone with - it fits the space a lot better (I think!) than the 3 & 2 seaters I previously had. I contemplated going with a different lighter sofa colour but practicality won in the end!
    ...See More

Help with my living room

Q

Comments (791)
    I've been thinking of you,Fragle - I remember those sleepless nights when the babies first came home and everyone was sleep deprived but life-as -always still had to go on, esp for Mommy. So happy for you that you have a 'good' baby, I love the name too:-)
    ...See More

New kitchen, but just not working.

Q

Comments (448)
    fragle0 ... congratulations on the new addition to your family. Have been following your lovely changes. You probably won't have time to work on the decor for a while. Just wanted to suggest that you try pulling the nesting tables forward to be more in line with front of the chairs & placing your floor lamp to the back of them. This will give a bit more light at night for reading in that area.Also switching the plant by the fireplace & the one on the corner by the sofa.
    ...See More
  • classicinteriors
    10 years ago
    Slow down there! Mirror back splashes are back IN. We in the know.....know this! Take a peek
    My Houzz: A Basic Builder Home Gets the Glam Treatment · More Info
    However if you insist....You have a bigger problem than you are aware of. When you take the mirrors off the drywall you are going to rip the paper that is on the drywall off and most likely some chunks of the drywall itself. I have no doubt about this. Your next problem is with the drywall itself. While I read people on the internet saying you can put tile right on drywall this is not the right way to do it. The tile is going to go on the wall with either mud or glue. At any rate all the tile hanging on the drywall gets heavy and since the surface was not correct to start with you end up with tile falling off the wall. Unless you have a tile saw and are rather skilled this is not a DIY project in any way shape or form. PVC black splash also has a few problems in that you can not let it get anywhere near heat otherwise it warps. What I would change from the small amount I can see from your photos are the knobs and the white appliance. I would rather see black or stainless appliances.
  • classicinteriors
    10 years ago
    You might if it is affordable to you, have the cabinets painted.
    The cabinet color is more out of style than the backsplash.
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    classicinteriors I thought about staining the cabinets in slightly darker color and eventually change the appliances too. Everyone suggests stainless still but that style was around for awhile. I don't want to change it now and next year it's gonna be something else. Regarding the backsplash wall, I knew about the ripped paper from the taken down morrors. We had the same prob with the bedroom mirror. We did have to call for people to come and fix the wall. I guess that is what I would have to do again. I like that kitchen picture. I wish i had more kitchen space. :o)
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    in or not, I don't like the mirror backsplash look.

Pick a color from your counter and add a glass subway tile. (light blue? light green? light gray?)
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    classicinteriors how do I change the cabinet knobs myself?
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    indianpatti I post 2 pictures of the glass tile i picked several messages above if you don't mind to check it. Thank you.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Yes, I saw those .. a bit too busy IMO.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    You won't have a problem putting new tiles on your drywall, even if it gets some rough patches in it from pulling off the mirror. Essentially, the bottom row holds up the rows above and the glue holds the tiles onto the drywall just fine. Do the research and watch the youtube videos so you are well educated.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Don't try working with glass tiles or mosaic tiles for your first project - they are a bit more work.
    Nicole thanked karemore55
  • PRO
    Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Re: changing cabinet knobs - Yours look very straightforward. On a door pull, remove the two machine screws from the back of the door behind the pull. Measure from the center of one hole to the center of the other. Yours look like 3" o.c. pulls. Look at the front of your door where pull is now gone. Is the wood dented or a different color where the old pull was? Consider this as you look for replacements. Will the footprint of the new pull cover what is necessary to cover? ...same goes for footprint of your knobs.

Save your screws - they likely will work with new hardware, unless it is metric. Notice that you need longer screws for drawer hardware, as they must run through the drawer boxes. Have fun! Mark
  • Riktoscale
    10 years ago
    I say mirror splash backs can look great but I think your style of cabinetry and appliances is at odds with it.

Mirror splash backs equal sleek modern glossy and minimal. I often think they suit a kitchen that isn't used, it's just for show.

A tile that ties into the coloring of your bench top will suit better. Subway tiles in white is also a nice idea.
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Someone's in the Kitchen Thank you very much for the instructions.
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    riktorscale, that is right. The mirrors will go well with modern kitchen style where is hardly anything on a counter top. That is why I want to change the back splash.
  • PRO
    Brothers Custom Works
    10 years ago
    Looking at other improvements in the pic - it appears you could add some color (see pics).
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Brothers Custom Works I would like someone to stain the wood. My cabinets used to be peach color kinda like a bleached wood but after years they got darker. If I knew they change color, I wouldn't have gooten them. I wonder how much it cost to paint the cabinets.
  • Charmain Wells
    10 years ago
    Copper would look nice with the work tops and add warmth.
    Nicole thanked Charmain Wells
  • PRO
    Ceratec Tiles & Stone
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of a subway tile blacksplash, you could also get a nice insertion of glass mosaic tile with a high gloss .
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    no.
  • Sam Dewick
    10 years ago
    If you're going mirrored, I'd recommend these kind of mirrored backsplash more than a solid panel one, though i have to agree that it will have the tendency to make your countertop look cluttered.
  • PRO
    Brothers Custom Works
    10 years ago
    When I suggested you could use some color and sent the pics, I meant a color backsplash, being the red and rustic slate look in the pics - not staining the cabinets.

Site: Tile Store Online
    Product: 01-TSM-Copper - Slate Mosaic - Copper Quartz Mini French Versailles
    Pattern: Mosaic Tumbled
    Cost: $6.99 per SF - Free Shipping
  • PRO
    Brothers Custom Works
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Flower Power Backsplash - Translucent Glass
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I pull off the old back splash and found that the wall behind was never fixed. There is an old fire door. I suppose I have to fix that before I put a new back splash tile. Can anyone tell me how much approximately it would cost to fix that wall and put a backsplash after? I might fix it myself but I need to do it quickly. Thank you.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi Nicole -- It's a bit difficult to see exactly what you've got here. But some general advice: your wall won't need to look pretty in order to install tile successfully. It just needs to be relatively flat, and securely in place - with a surface that your tile adhesive will bond to.

So it looks here as if you might well be able to fasten 1/4" plywood to this area, running right over the remnants of the old door. ...since it looks like that's what they had done with your old mirror tile. Then install your tile to the plywood.

You'll have to sort out how to trim out any exposed ends of the new work - as well as make sure that the new combination doesn't stick out past your window trim, if there is a window involved. Good Luck! Mark
  • PRO
    Design Connection, Inc.
    10 years ago
    It looks like you have lots of new ideas. The mirrors are outdated. A subway tile would look current and stay in style for some time.
  • Debbie Ritchie
    10 years ago
    Nonono
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Someone's in the Kitchen. Would you know by any chance how much it will cost me to hire a contractor to do the wall fix and the back splash?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think for a useful cost estimate, Nicole, you'll have to get someone to visit and evaluate what you've got and what you want to install. My guess from here, with what little info I've got, would be worthless to you, I'm sorry to say. Best Wishes! Mark
    Nicole thanked Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I'll take a guess here .... depending on what tile you go with. If you go with a subway tile or the mosaics you picked, should be fairly easy to install. For someone to make the wall even and install the tile I would guess would be in the neighborhood of $500.
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you very much indianpatti :o) That was my guess too. I prob will try to get a few astiments from diff contractors and see what they say. At least I know the minimum now. Thank you again.
  • PRO
    Brothers Custom Works
    10 years ago
    A turnkey job (all materials and labor) - repair drywall - install select tile or other backsplash - tile (tile purchase allowance $6.00 per SF) - mastic - grout - clean up - ready for use - no difficult complications or unforeseen work - in our area of TX - $14.50 -$16.00 per square foot if the SF figure was 60 SF or more.

If the backsplash work was coupled with other renovations the cost per SF would drop.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I've seen bronze mirrored glass used effectively in a contemporary kitchen...very nice with no seams.
  • PRO
    Brothers Custom Works
    10 years ago
    These two projects - backsplash with more SF than shown were approximately $800.00 coupled with total Kitchen renovations - all things new. Travertine with accent tiles - diagonal pattern above rope trim - a square cut installed tile along the bottom - with sealer applied after grout. See the entire Kitchen pictured 2nd and and others at http://www.brotherscustomworks.com/cabinets-and-detail.html
  • Nicole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Brothers Custom Works....the work area looks similar to mine but a bit smaller. My kitchen is not big at all. I guess I have to plan to spend aprox $500-$800. You have been very helpful. Thank you very much.
  • PRO
    Brothers Custom Works
    10 years ago
    Note that the projects and $800 figure was in connection with complete gut of the Kitchen and all things new (refresh - restore walls after demo - electrical and plumbing reconfiguration as required per reno plans - new cabinets - countertops - plumbing and light fixtures - backsplash - floor coverings - finished paint - appliances - etc. - a comprehensive remodel. Each backsplash (cost) received the advantage of economy of scale.

If we were having this discussion because you lived within our work zone, and the backsplash made up the entire scope of work - wall restore and backsplash - turnkey (prep labor - materials and labor for backsplash), I would suggest that the backsplash be an allowance (our projection of potential cost) with final cost based on selection of backsplash material - pattern (noting diagonal is more expensive than a straight lay - accent tile - rope trim - etc. can add to cost) be $1,000 - $1200.00 (being without the economy of scale and allowing profit and overhead (P&O) for construction manager - builder).

If restoration of the wall (prep) is the entire scope of work, in your tile selection process, and drawing from any other resources you may have in discovery of local conditions: you can probably save money in seeking a tile setter through the tile source or other source, and work direct with that sub-contractor. Assurance of capability and quality of workmanship should be a diligently attended to as a part of qualifying the sub-contractor - tile setter.

Another potential savings would be to find - select an acceptable tile online - typically samples available - free deliver to your doorstep - no tax. The tile example I posted earlier in this thread (post 9-28 project pics - 10-5 actual tile) was purchased at www.tilestoreonline.com after we obtained samples, and had the benefits as described. $6.99 per SF and less than local offerings of similar tile. Note also that we did not use the just having fun post - "Flower Power Backsplash" on 10-5.

With your blonde cabinets, I am still of the mind that you would do well in adding some color with tile or accents within the tile. If you want some assurance of final appearance, you could have someone capable do a drawing, with example we provided for another Kitchen remodel shown in the 2nd pic. Note the tile shown is a drawing of actual tile available.

Love to help folks - hollar at me any time, and thanks for the opportunity.
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 years ago
    Yes remove. Looks like you have twice the amount of clutter.
  • PRO
    Brothers Custom Works
    10 years ago
    Life is too short to worry and not have fun at every appropriate occasion.

There is much more tolerance these days for things outside those that were formally "architecturally incorrect", such as corrugated barn tin as an interior wall covering.

Have some fun thinking outside the box, as I did visiting the isle Roatan, Honduras.

Hakunah Matada
  • PRO
    redesign-gallery
    10 years ago
    With the mirrors everything in your kitchen looks like it is sitting on your counter tops. Your idea of the glass tile for the back splash is perfect. Has a wonderfully expensive look and will stand the test of style changes. When you are completed with that retrofit RUNRUNRUN to the nearest supplier and replace the drawer/door pulls. Rent a tile saw. Love your DIY effort!
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    Yikes. It's dreadful. When you make the change, consider a brushed pewter hardware change too. The 'gold' in the knobs and pulls is very dated. New hardware is a super cheap and dramatically effective modification.
  • Emily Walley
    9 years ago
    wheresurbelly. they are nuts.im about to install. how is yours fairing? very

I can't see the close up. but they are hot right now.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Who would do mirror as a backsplash?
  • suercox72
    7 years ago

I actually like a mirrored kitchen backsplash--it brings light and interest to a kitchen and it's easy to keep clean. I know it was fashionable a couple of decades ago, but I'm seeing it again in new kitchen photos.

• Emily Walley
    7 years ago
    i love mirrored backsplash..i hate you have to replace it.but will bring such a change for you.huge bang for your buck to change backsplash
  • oldie365
    5 years ago

Outdated? I don't think so! Use your imagination, don't just blindly follow fashion! This is 2018. We just spent a mint on "Ella", one of Cambria's beautiful quartz counters. Why on earth would we want a backsplash that competes with such beautiful counter material? We will have clear mirror installed. And it will look spectacular.

• oldie365
    5 years ago

If you select a material that is "in" right now in a year or two you will be "out". Why not select what works for your kitchen?

We just had "Ella" by Cambria installed in our tiny kitchen at the beach. Just painting the backsplash really isn't an option. So, two products: Trusted mirror panels or painted glass panels. We have not received an estimate for the latter. Mirrors open up a tiny space. No other product does that. Painted glass is up and coming, but remember, if you go with fashion you have to change frequently to remain fashionable.

It is YOUR money, so you decide.

• Diane Redd
    3 years ago

I absolutely love it. Wanted mine done but wondered if I was the only one who loved the idea. Gonna do it.

• BABS L
    2 years ago

@Diane Redd Did you pull the trigger and go for mirrored backsplash? We are in the middle of a remodel and I thought of a mirrored backsplash. LOL, I actually thought I was being creative and didn't know that this was a "thing" years ago or present. I'm having a hard time finding a fabricator. I appreciate any input you are willing to share. Thanks!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Yes we did mirror backsplashes back in the 70's, likely before you were born. Any glazer can do the work. That is a shop that specializes in glass and mirrors.

However, for this to be successful, you should have a slide-in range or cooktop situation. In addition, to make the kitchen look spacious, it's important to NOT HAVE APPLIANCES AND STUFF ON THE COUNTERTOPS. Because then you just see double the amount of stuff on the countertops and it looks like clutter.

Mirror is a lot easier to clean than tile you don't have to worry if the color matches your countertops.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

A mirror backsplash is just one more surface that needs to be cleaned…and more often.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.