rebecca_west90

Knock through - trying to get within budget

Rebecca W
last month

Hi, i have asked a few questions on Houzz regarding a knockthrough we would like to do in our new home and have got some great ideas from people so thank you!

We are in the midlands and have had a couple of builders in and a SE and recieved one builder quote so far. We wanted to knock all internal walls down at the back of the house so the entire width is open plan (knocking 3 internal walls down) however our obstacles have been, cheaper we could have a pillar but it would be in an awkward location and the one quote of £63k that we have had so far. This has shown us that knocking all the walls down, with other things such as swapping window and patio door locations would be over our budget of around £40k. we are pretty gutted but now we will have to compromise and knock only two walls down making a smaller open plan than we wanted. Also we are not going to be able to get out of expensive price for knocking the walls down because of the awkwardness of the existing steel that runs the span of the kitchen so will still need to do that which will be around £12k. we are just trying to get the quote down for eveything else.

I am asking for ideas and opinions on how to layout the small open plan area (we will now be keeping the toilet and side hall on the existing plan inc their walls obvs). We would still like to divide the converted garage and have half as a utility keeping the office. attached is our existing plan and just because, the plans we were hoping for.

we have even looked at an extension for half the width, where we could push to £50k but we would still need to sort existing rooms and a new kitchen so would take us over budget again. We are looking at option of buying kitchen on finance too.

thank you for any help/ideas/opinions you have.

Comments (20)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.