dee_smyth89

Windows vs wall vents

Dee Smyth
5 months ago

We are renovating and extending a small bungalow and I'm just looking at windows and ventilation, we will be going with triple glazed PVC windows. The house is going to be wrapped and walls pumped so should be warm it is just the ventilation in hot weather that I'm concerned about.

In the kitchen we have 3 picture windows and a patio sliding door, obviously we can open the sliding door but it won't be possible to leave it opened for airflow all the time in warm weather. In order to make it possible to open the picture windows we will have to split them, put a bar across the bottom and make bottom small window static and upper part openable. They may not look as nice as a result, the other option is to put a ventilation unit in the wall, but is a wall vent as good as being able to open a window or are there other options than splitting the big windows that any of you would suggest?

Also if anyone has large windows split in this way do they look ok or did it make a big difference to the aesthetic? We are in south of Ireland so weather is largely varies from warm/wet in summer to cold/wet in winter!!

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.