jonny187

Kitchen layout ideas

Jonny Walmsley
5 months ago

Hi Houzz community!
I'm looking for a bit of inspiration. I've recently moved into a new house which me and my family love. We've been busy decorating and settling in.
The one thing we can't figure out a way forward with is the kitchen.
Before moving in, we had ideas about opening up parts of the downstairs and having more of an open plan. But, having lived here for 6 months now, we've enjoyed having closed off spaces, particularly with having two little toddlers. Sometimes it's nice to enclose them!
That said, we aren't happy with the kitchen layout at all. It's fairly narrow but the biggest problem is the lack of a run of wall units/worktop. As you can see from the pics, there are 3 doors to this kitchen. There's a boiler in the corner (bottom left on the hand drawn plan). There's been an extension built at some point and so the frame is there, down as dotted lines on my sketch.
The sink feels like it's too far into a corner, and since the cooker and fridge are over there as well, we spend 90% of our time in one small corner of the kitchen.
We had a load of ideas all linked in with opening up the floorplan but no longer want to do that. But we are open to the idea of getting rid of the little downstairs loo that's down on the right hand side on my sketch. That has a tiny hallway and a door through to the lounge, which really doesn't need it. So we would be up for knocking that all down and filling that door to the lounge in.
What we're looking for is a more functional space that works for a young family and will see us through a lot more years, as we're planning on staying in this house "forever".
P.S. excuse the mess and laundry!! We had just moved in when I took the photos and still in a bit of a mess!

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.