webuser_71660

Yay or No to moving the kitchen to the middle darker through room??

Tani H-S
6 months ago

We have playing with our layout since we moved into this GF, terraced flat and have pretty much scrapped the idea of putting a proper extension on the back (in place of the conservatory) for the moment as it's too costly due to rising costs with the other flats we are renovating in the same building. Plus we aren't sure how long we will stay here for so don't want to overspend until we know for sure. I've asked for advice on this before but after 2 months of debate , this is our last options,,,

Current use....

- the lounge is large and quite grand with decorative high 3m ceiling and I love it as a living space. It's North East facing so never too bright but never too dark either due to the high windows. We always head there in the evening but don't use it in the day.

- the bedroom isn't huge but it fits our King in.

- the conservatory at the back is lovely and bright as South West facing, BUT it is very hot in Summer (so nice in the evening to dine in ) We are currently using it as an office /day room as we like a bright room in the daytime and it's the only sunny room really.

- that leaves us with the corridor middle dark room... which is large and has a huge chimney in but is sort of a dining room I guess? It's very dark because the house is terraced and when the kitchen/conserv was added on, it blocked the light from this room.

We had been looking at turning it into a living space and the front room a bedroom once we extend (so we have 2 beds) but I love the front room so not 100% on it. Plus it's a walkthrough room so it feels odd.

So, we have a couple of options with the layout (see current layout as attached) keeping the conserv for now.

1) Keep the chimney and move the kitchen into the darker mid room but have an island or peninsular off the chimney with seating running parallel to the passageway (all the plumbing is down that private alleyway so it's quite easy to move) and then make the current kitchen into a snug/day room with sofa and put patio doors in place of the kitchen window to let more light and heat in from the conservatory. It's not a huge room though ie only 3.9m x 2.7 but ok for a snug?

2) Knock down (and this would be a huge dirty, structural job!! but cheaper than an extension) the chimney that runs the two storeys and take out the wall between the kitchen and dining room and make that one open plan kitchen/diner/snug. Again with the French doors into the conservatory ( or we could even remove the conservatory if we really wanted to and put bi-

folds across the back, but it is a handy room!)

Option 2 would give us more light but is a lot more work and cost. It would create a huge room though .

**So what I really want to know is would option 1 be an appealing layout?? It's the cheapest and you don't really need a super bright daylight kitchen as long as you have good lighting??

Thank you!

Comments (12)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.