snan087

Which frames for above the bed?

snan087
9 years ago
Hi all, trying to decide which frames to put above the bed. I have square white frames, rectangle silver frames, or smaller ornate silver mirrors. Curtains are grey/silver. Any suggestions to what looks best and what sort of art to use? I'm thinking black and white sketches. Many thanks!

Comments (103)

• Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Morgan, yes you are a little paranoid. If you lived in Florida would you not sleep in your bed in case a sinkhole swallows you while sleeping? Live your life, if it's in the stars, it's in the stars......................nothing you do can change it.
  • Laura Luther
    9 years ago
    I agree with pcmom1's suggestions -larger nightstands, lamps, Oval mirrors above each, nothing above the bed........the look is relaxing and classy!!
  • Related Discussions

Living room- I'm afraid I'll get it wrong!!

Q

Comments (4)
    Oh, that's a good idea. A plain colour or with a pattern? Do you think the sofa is right....I have my doubts about it. The shape may not be very modern and the house is modern. I just want to make sure it's cosy.
    ...See More

Blinds or curtains?

Q

Comments (23)
    Hello Jen, I am so surprised that no one has mentioned vertical blinds to you? They are very much back in fashion and work beautifully in a room such as yours. They come in 3.5" veins, which mean they will fold back and tuck into each recess when fully open. They turn to let as much light in as you need and then close when you want full privacy. They will be fitted in the recess above the windows. You can either have one complete rail length or two so you have a separate section over the door. You can have what's know as a middle split, i.e: half goes left and right. Personally I would suggest one length that opens to the left, therefore leaving your door completely uncovered when open. The pulley system is very much like a roller blind and are safety fixed to the wall so children can not get caught in them. They come in a huge rang of colours and materials and better still they are very affordable. I am working with a number of new developments in Hertfordshire at the moment and these are what the clients are all asking for. If you would like some idea of price, please email me your measurements and I will give you an idea, amanda@propertybydesign.net Good luck and enjoy! :0)
    ...See More

Revamp our hallway

Q

Comments (44)
    Paint the doors black matt and the fames cream add silver crome door furniture. Huge silver mirror above the covered radiator then add a runner of any colour you like and match it with the lamps and lighting. hey presto done.
    ...See More

Win a design consultation at The permanent tsb Ideal Home Show!

Q

Comments (74)
    Hello Houzz Ireland, We are currently renovating a 1960's build - so as you know, there is a lot of decisions to be made!! So it would be nice to get some gems of advice from the experts to help us through this daunting task. Areas where we would really like some inspiration for - small bathroom downstairs. I would really like to do something fun with this room and although small, I think it could work really well with some funky wallpaper or possibly tiles?! I'm just not sure what to do with it. Also - pulling a whole house together?! Where do we start? We have the bigger pieces of furniture but how do I know what nest of tables goes best with a suite? Or what accessories will bring a room together? I'm due a second baby in 2 weeks time so any help at this stage would be so amazing - to guide me on the right interior design path for our new house. Thanks, Laurie
    ...See More
  • rosalindellen
    9 years ago
    In earthquake country, put nothing over the bed that could fall on a sleeper. There are still many options for design.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Try angling your area rug so it doesn't line up with the sides of the bed. You are definitely a symmetrical person. If you use two nails each I don't think the pictures are apt to fall.
  • lcurle
    9 years ago
    I love how a simple question leads to tons of ideas! My advice is use the mirrored chest as a nitestand on window side of bed and console on the other side. Hang the tv on the wall and put your mirror where you presently have the mirrored chest. If it won't make the tv too high put the lingerie chest under it or use your two nitestands as one unit under the tv and take the lingerie chest out of the room. Angle your chair and ottoman toward the corner of the bed with the rug at the same angle under chair,ottoman and bed. Use the floor lamp next to the chair. And by the way I like the white frames.
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    9 years ago
    What a lovely bedroom! Whatever you do, please, please, please secure them (and the mirror) to the wall carefully. I just went through a 6.2 earthquake in CA at 2:30 in the morning and was reminded how dangerous it is to have things so close to your bed!
  • catladynbadams
    9 years ago
    I would not put anything heavy or breakable above my bed since Calif. has earthquakes.
  • Donna Forkum
    9 years ago
    Mirrors
  • Donna Forkum
    9 years ago
    Cassigue Cottage
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Love those ideas, Lcurle! Maybe the lingerie chest can fit into the closet. Like to see photos after our poster tries your suggestions!

Found a photo showing the rug on an angle:
    American Dream · More Info
  • dorothyferguson
    9 years ago
    I just love the silver. They look very nice and do a lot for the room.
  • dorothyferguson
    9 years ago
    Oops !!!' I meant silver mirrors and not silver frames. Mirrors are beautiful.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    How about we just change this out seasonally? Mirrors in the winter? White frames in the summer? Store the out of season ones wrapped under the bed.
  • 2leftsocks
    9 years ago
    Poor snan - you must be going nuts trying to decipher all this great advice. Afraid this may not help: there's too much furniture scattered around the room. All of it works, color wise, but iit's only feeding your confusion. The less you have to deal with, the easier it becomes to see where things belong. You could lose the small mirrored table. It's not adding enough to the space to earn it's keep. Also, the tall lingerie chest - will that fit in your closet if you make room for it? Then push the chair & ottoman back a bit into the corner. The tall mirror then placed near or behind both would make a nice grouping, vs. the lingerie chest, I think. And open up the rest of the room. You could also play with angling your TV console or placing it on the long wall, where the mirror was. Might look better than squarely pushed into the corner. Some others have said you could move the bed to the mirror wall facing the window. I strongly agree, try it. This way, when you walk into the room, you don't immediately see the matchy-matchy look of your bedwall. Let the look be more subtle by partially obscuring things. Because perfectly matched design can be flat & static looking. It looks great in staged magazine photos but in real life, not always so. Deliberately throw one side of the bed wall off a little to make things more interesting. Also, the bed does not have to be centered smack middle of the long wall, if you move it there. Place it off center enough to create space for your great rug. It's always nicer to jump out of bed onto a soft rug vs. a cold floor. I also really like the dark gray blanket folded over the end of the bed, as you originally had it. Nice touch :-). (Sorry about the duplicate ideas. I did not have a chance to read all of the above comments until Friday.)
  • Beth G
    9 years ago
    Please hang the pictures and mirrors elsewhere-- not above the bed-- if you live where earthquakes are a possibility.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    9 years ago
    I like the larger white ones - but I'd put them behind each of the table lamps- I'd also go with much bigger table lamps - these are wayyy too small. if your night stands are too small then opt for a plug-in swing arm wall sconce - free up the table space. Good luck with your space!
  • snan087
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks again for the advice all. I'm going to spend the weekend moving things around and taking photos! One thing I don't need to worry about is Earthquakes (I hope)-I'm in Ireland! I'll keep you posted :-)
  • cmmintn
    9 years ago
    One simple question turned into many great ideas but then this is what it is all about.Just remember you are the one who owns the room and ultimately your judgement is tops.Please know these ideas are given to you with caring in mind.
  • Laura Luther
    9 years ago
    i can't wait to see your new photos !! -- i love your choices in decor and color but i do believe 'less is more' at times. a few simple suggestions, some were mentioned prior. first off, No frames above the bed, remove the dried stalk in the corner !!! Try the tall mirror in the chair corner along with the floor lamp by the tv. cattycorner your t.v. stand and add the tall dresser (that is near your chair). put it where the small stand is now, if possible. put the blanket back on the foot of the bed. it's cozy there !! leave 2 small pillows on the bed and add the 3rd to the chair. find a small rug (similar to your larger one) for the side of the bed. if possible find an oval mirror or framed picture oblong for above the bed, or leave it open. have you considered a dust ruffle on the bed? i love them personally. .....you'll know when you have it where you want it, it will just 'feel right' ....the frames you removed from your nighttables, might fit under your t.v. ?? and the plate you have there may be hung on the wall??..............have FUN !!! ....looking forward to seeing the "this is me" in your new fit. smile
  • Jenny Sutton
    9 years ago
    So many ideas. Agree with removing the candlesticks and putting something lower and not the same on each side table. Also I liked the throw on the bed.
  • PRO
    Flo de Bretagne
    9 years ago
    I would go with soft colors rather than black and white prints. And I would keep in mind that the art pieces that you put above the bed are not what you'll enjoy the most. The ones on the side walls are.
  • Laura Luther
    9 years ago
    More thoughts: You may be able to hang your 'decorative plate' centered above your bed, and the frames you removed from your side tables hang on either side of the plate? ......also, your framed art (white frames) could be hung horizontally on the wall where your tall mirror is???? ..........try taking as much out of the room as you can, then one by one adding items!! stop before it gets "too busy" ...smile all of these suggestions must surely be overwhelming.......but please know, we ladies are having Fun with your room !! ...lol
  • snan087
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Right I luckily was just in time to bring back the old lamps today! Couldn't decide between a number of gorgeous lamps that I saw but I did purchase a pair of the following....will post pics soon! In the mean time would love to hear which ones you think might work! :-)
  • coolkitty
    9 years ago
    I would go for the tall, simple cylinder with the silver tube inside -- less busy, more elegant.
  • PRO
    "Un air de Paris" PHOTO FOR WALL
    9 years ago
    Hi, I think having fish and an octopus above your bed is not sure the best idea !
    But i have got an idea for you with Paris photographs so romantic in black and white with the same Ikea frame. If you prefer an other theme tell me which theme you would like to see and i will show you the result immediatly !!
    You can see my work at : http://www.photoforwall.com
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    My favorite is the first lamp. But need to see it on the table and see how the height and width work.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    The subjects in your prints above your bed are perfect. You like them and they bring the subtlety you are going for. Don't like the ones which were just suggested. Don't change yours.
  • PRO
    "Un air de Paris" PHOTO FOR WALL
    9 years ago
    I have got an other idea with always Paris photographs but with padlocks of "Pont des Arts" in soft pink, if you like of course !!
    I show you also for the other wall of your room, with the same theme, one in black and white with The Eiffel Tower and an other one with padlocks in pink spirit .
    Tell me your thought !!
  • snan087
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Argh- I was going for the first lamps but opted out last minute for the small ones in the third pic! I can change tomorrow though. Ok take one of furniture moves...didn't have the heart to move the dog.
  • snan087
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Moved the 2 bedside tables together on one side. Mirrored table on other...
  • snan087
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And again...
  • kaydow
    9 years ago
    Can the mirrors on the night stands be made to hang on wall? If so, a third larger mirror in a similar style...going with curves, not 90* angles. I think it would flow better with the pattern in your comforter. Pare down the night stands. Lamps with oval white base, with solid shades..silver or an accent color.. And I agree, don't over do the decorating. Keep it calm and serene.

Of the frames you show, I'd go with the silver rectangles, only hung vertically, appearing to be hung from ribbon anchored higher on the wall.
    snan087 thanked kaydow
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    I like what you did with side tables, mirror on left and 2 on right. How do you feel about the room.
  • snan087
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Think I like it! I'm an awful procrastinator and potterer so there's still a bit of work to do to get it perfect! All the feedback is helping a lot. What a great site :-) thank you
  • kaydow
    9 years ago
    Like the mirrored side table and second set of lamps. For me, all the "white boxes" are overwhelming in the first photo's...the headboard, 2 tables, 3 white frames. Love the comforter print and think you should play the softness of it up. But it's your space:)
    snan087 thanked kaydow
  • cmmintn
    9 years ago
    I like the pix of the tv with console and high chest but reverse so the high chest is in the corner.Why you ask? It appears to be blocking the full view of the tv.Like where the chair is up near the bed.What do you have where the chair was originally?
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Yes, I had suggested the high chest be on the other side and assumed it didn't work as it was put the other way.
  • decoratingjoy
    9 years ago
    You're making such wonderful progress - it's so fun to watch the transformation from a nice room to a 'wow' room.

More thoughts: Really like the chair and mirrored chest next to the bed, looks great so keep there - and no one will trip over the pouf if it's there; clever idea to move the tall chest next to the tv stand, but if you have the chair next to the bed I would move the tall chest back to where you originally had it and scoot the tv stand over a little to the right so it's more centered on that wall; you are on the right track with the lamps but I would try the taller version of those and see how the additional height looks; put octopus picture in the middle for balance; dog looks adorable everywhere!; bring the darker throw pillows on the bed in front of the white pillows but a bit behind the lighter throw pillow; rug looks great on the new angle; move the trash basket either next to the tv stand in the corner where it's less noticeable or next to the tall chest in the other corner - you don't want to see it when you look at the bed. Was the comforter with the print that you had on the bed originally a comforter or a cover for a duvet? If it was a comforter you could fold it up at the bottom of the bed instead of the throw blanket for that extra layer like in magazines.

Keep up the great work! You're inspiring me to work on my home.
    snan087 thanked decoratingjoy
  • coolkitty
    9 years ago
    I'm letting everyone else guide you with furnishings but I do think the taller version of those lamps will give a better scale to that whole wall. Love the orchid and do love the night stands. Can't believe you have the patience to endure and try all these suggestions!
  • Deborah Qualls
    9 years ago
    Since it's your bedroom.......do you have a special someone or children? Look in your pics and find some loving, happy or really anything that brings a smile to your face! Find 7 or 11 different beautiful frames of various sizes, choose pictures for certain frames, get any place that can make these different sizes pics and make a collage.
    I would get black and white prints or brown and white for sure.
    Good Luck
    snan087 thanked Deborah Qualls
  • 2leftsocks
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous, snan! Love the bed wall this way, esp. the bed shifted to the left, your 2 night stands pushed together (smart!) & the accessory arrangements. Even the mirrored cabinet, lol. (I was wrong, it works very nicely in the room & where you have it.) It all looks so much more interesting now - and in a very good way. I do think the chair & ottoman crowds that end of the room though. (Oh noooo... really? Yeah...). The set looks so much better in the corner at the end of the bed, just my opinion. BUT if you like it there, do keep it. It works either way, really. I won't say anything more about the space, just that you're doing a wonderful job :-)
    snan087 thanked 2leftsocks
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Snan, You have done everything we all have suggested. I really don't think that after all of your editing and rearranging that you need to add anything else to the room. It is so lovely!
  • snan087
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Very happy with the way this room is turning out. It is so relaxing and cosy! I have a few last decisions to make which I could do with some help with and then it should be done:

1.Do these new lamps work? I just noticed that they gave me two different sized lampshades with them. Do I go with the bigger or smaller lampshade (bigger is on the right by about 4 inches!)? The bigger version of the actual lamp is significantly bigger and I thought might be too much for beside the bed…
    2.I can either go with the chair by the bedside locker, or the double white lockers on the right. Can’t fit both.
    3.If I keep the chair by the mirror locker, that means I will have one white locker left over and the lingerie chest which I can move back into the corner (with the lamp)
    4.Is it really ok to have two unmatching bedside lockers- really?! And to have the bed (and consequently the frames) off centre of the wall?

Thanks all!
  • snan087
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Little lamp vs big lamp. The big one would be towering above the bed I think!
  • decoratingjoy
    9 years ago
    Hi snan - to address your questions:
    1 - yes, the lamps work very well. With regard to the height of the larger lamps: do you know how high they would be? If the bottom of the lampshade is even with the top of the pillows that should work. If they are taller than that I think you will be okay with the smaller lamps. Look back again at some of the pictures above to see what I mean. The thing that will look odd would be if the top of the lamps were taller than your headboard. The idea is that when you are in bed reading a book that you want the light to be able to reflect down.
    As far as the lampshade size goes on the smaller lamps I'm thinking the shorter ones since they don't seem to drop down as far as the larger ones.
    2 & 3-Definitely chair by the mirrored bedside locker with one white locker on the other side. Without question. The chair to the left of the bed gave the room life. Use the extra white one in a closet or another room. You don't want to overcrowd your room when you are going for a tranquil setting.
    4-Absolutely okay to have bedside tables that don't match and look good in the room. Whether or not you like that is a personal preference though. I would only put the mirrored one next to the bed though if you have the chair next to it. It's how they play off each other that makes it work. If you don't keep the chair next to the bed then I would use both white tables beside the bed. It is also fine that the pictures are off-centre to the wall as long as they are centered to the bed. :)
  • Laura Luther
    9 years ago
    Well Snan, You've surely been busy !!! trying all these suggestions must be tiring. i'm anxious to see "your finished room". Personally, i liked both white nightstands on either side of the bed as you originally had them. i like your rug straight at the foot of the bed, as you originally had it. but i would find 1 or 2 rugs for either side of the bed!! i would put your tv as it were, and add the mirrored night stand on one of its sides. i would put your tall lingerie dresser back on the wall where it was only catty corner it. add your chair next to it, only turn it toward the tv. if you can, put the tall lamp in between them. love your little puppy...............your room is cozy, feminine, and serene. oh, please put your oval mirror back on top of your lingerie dresser. love it !!!
  • lcurle
    9 years ago
    Love that someone else moves things around till it feels just right! However you end up, your room will be very elegant and classic. Personally I still like the chair in the corner with the floor lamp and rug. Would you have more room if you put the two white nitestands on the window side and the mirrored nitestand on the other side? Don't worry that the bed isn't centered on the wall. I do like your lingerie chest in the corner next to the tv console. I would have never thought to do that. The glass lamps you showed in the last arrangement look great! I hope you're having fun cause you sure are working hard!
  • decoratingjoy
    9 years ago
    How's the progress on the bedroom so far? Love to see your end result!
  • cmmintn
    9 years ago
    Hope you post the end result. Like what you have so far
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.