louis_john50

Room adjacent to landing

Louis J
last year

Hello, I have a problem with a room by a landing, which the previous owners developed as an afterthought. This is evident because its opening and the stairs leading to it seem quite out of place.

The things that are bugging me are the two stumps of masonry at the end of the second step. Also, this is not visible in the photo, but the second step from the landing comes out a little, and it contrasts with the style of the main staircase which is in old traditional Mediterranean style.

I was already considering narrowing the doorway so that the two odd bits of masonry disappear. However I am not sure what to do about the protruding step. I wish this was flush with the wall but I cannot half it because then the step would be too narrow for use.

I was wondering if you had encountered similar scenarios before and how were they addressed to make the architecture of it look at least half-decent. Any suggestions would help.

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.