claire_white78

What do you call an open plan dining/living area?

Claire White
last year

So, my ipad is on the coffee table in front of the sofa, which is near the TV, in the area edged with french doors, next to the dining table that separates it from the kitchen - and I wanted my husband to fetch it upstairs. But neither of us ever know how to refer to it!! “It’s in the dining room/living room part of the kitchen“ I shout. It drives us mad. Our family are grown and gone so it seems a bit daft to call it the ’family room’. The ’den’ sounds a bit precocious (but maybe we’d get used to it after a while?) and because it’s open plan and clearly an area to relax and watch TV etc in, it seems wrong to call it a ’dining room’! What do you call it? So many houses are built like this these days that surely there’s a name for it by now? But so far I’ve failed to find one. Fingers crossed! :)

Comments (8)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.