webuser_768402840

RSJ not needed, according to the builder-

HU-768402840
last year

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is fine and everyone is having a nice Sunday in the sun.

As you may know, the builder has taken down the wall, between the kitchen and diner to create an open plan kitchen.

As per the building and structural survery, both advised that an RSJ be installed. My builder even sourced it.

He now says it’s not needed. That instead, it will be used to support the door frame. Between the dining and sun room. As this sliding door is to make way for a bifold one.

I am now a lil preplexed. Is it not needed? Jonathan in the past did mention that it’s strictly not needed but I would feel better if I over engineered the house

Pleaae do advise

Thanks

Mel

Comments (13)

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Some pics

Original wall and sliding door

The sliding door, from the sun room

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

The wall which was knocked down

No wall, just the remnant on the left

Is it bearing any load??

the remnant of the wall, on the right side

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

RSJ to be used here instead

interior view

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Building and structural survey!

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Good morning

Jonathan, Sonia, Daisy, HH

et al

Any advise please

ta

mel

• K OB
    last year

​It seems that whilst there was no load directly on that wall, it was a recommendation by a structural engineer to have a suitable beam installed. My concern would be regarding potential insurance claims that the engineer's advice wasn't followed. Equally, go back to the structural engineer and ask the specific question and get it in writing.

n writing.

HU-768402840 thanked K OB
  • sarh123
    last year

Also check with the engineer whether you need building regs for any of the jobs your builder is doing. When you come to sell you need the proper paperwork (be careful on this if builder is changing your windows- double glazing companies have their own scheme to meet regulations).

HU-768402840 thanked sarh123
  • HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Sara and K OB

Jonathan, any input please

KR

Mel

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Hi,

I went back to the builder and cross-checked, with the structural report

He has come back with the following

What the engineers could not see was there is a double-sized joists running from the chimney to the outer wall.

Therefore it will not affect the house or the building regulations.

Please some more close up pics, enclosed within

The above three pics are of the wall attached to the chimney( inner side of house)

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Pic of the wall, or remnant of the wall, attached to outer wall of the house

• Jonathan
    last year

Earlier on in discussions I suggested you consider opening the kitchen diner to the conservatory in order to have a better kitchen. I also suggested you block up the doorway between the dining room and lounge and instead have a doorway near the stairs so that furniture placement is easier in the lounge.

Now you have stripped the house are you tempted to revisit these ideas?

HU-768402840 thanked Jonathan
  • HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks million Jonathan,

I'm waiting for the builder to come up with an updated figure, for the refurbishment.

There have been several new add ons, as you may imagine. So waiting to see how much more I have to pay....till then all is on hold.

On the plus side, all your advice as well as my builder's both match. So I am reassured that I have the best people to help me with this daunting task. A newbie, who till 6 months back didn't know what an RSJ meant!

Thanks you once again, from the bottom of my heart

Kind Regards

Mel

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.