jill_robertson23

Fireplace help needed please

J Roxon
2 years ago

Hi all,

We're having some work done to our house. We had a through lounge/dining room which has now been separated and the lounge will be a smaller snug.

We did have quite a large, old and dated fireplace with a non-working gas fire which we've had removed. The plan was to have a slate hearth and oak mantel however the opening to the fire is a lot lower than we thought (didn't think to be honest) and we think the oak beam will look a little odd (see second picture - my artists impression!).

We aren't sure about getting the builder to knock it out any bigger but aren't sure about leaving the whole chimney breast clear. We are having a joiner put in small cupboard and chunky floating shelves either side in the alcoves. We thought maybe a nice oversized mirror to fill the space?

Suggestions and inspiration would be gratefully received as we don't have any vision!

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.