webuser_282180160

Where would you put a soakaway in this garden?

Su Esse
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Would be grateful for thoughts on the following (please see diagram - I'm no artist and it's not to scale!):

Background info:

• We're having a house extension and would like to put a soakaway in the garden.
  • Our road slopes, and the area Y (shaded purple) often gets flooded. If there is torrential rain, sometimes the flooding can extend to the herb patch. We'd like the soakaway to fix this in addition to draining the water from our planned extension.
  • There are a number of trees along the periphery (marked), which we will keep. The herb patch and bushes in area Y could be re-sited, but ideally we'd like as much space as possible in the garden overall to create veg, herb + flower beds.
  • The builder suggests putting a soakaway in area X.

Questions:

1. Will putting a soakaway in area X fix the flooding problem in area Y (and surrounds)?
  2. If not, what would fix the problem? (would planting more trees help?)
  3. Where is best to put a soakaway?

Thanks in advance. (I'll also put a separate post about garden layout ideas, but if you have any, please feel free to comment - any advice appreciated!)

Comments (5)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.