katja_t

SOS - how to create a focal point on awkward shaped living room?

katja_t
3 years ago

Hi Houzz'ers!

I'm hoping some of your creative brains might be able to offer a solution I can't see; I've just moved in to this beautiful flat but the living has a bit of an odd shape so I'm struggling to work out how to create a focal point and 'zones'. In short; how do I furnish this room?!

I've included a rough floor plan for reference and the flat is on the first floor so the window leads out to a balcony, which is southeast facing (sun from morning till about 2.30pm). Ceiling height is 3.1m. I think the property is Victorian. The walls are currently Magnolia (I know!) so I'm planning on painting.

Essentially this room is a living room only so I don't need space for a dining table or mini office. However, I do need room for the TV ( but don't want it to be the focal point) and my stereo/record player/small vinyl collection as well as some books.

Feel free to ignore the current layout completely as I've just plunked the furniture in there for now.

My thoughts are:

The door needs to open to the left as it's currently blocking part of the room

I'm also happy to get a sofa that is better suited to the space; ideally a corner sofa?

I'm not 'married' to any of the furniture in the room - I think the rug will definitely need to go

What do you guys think? How do I make the most of this lovely blank canvas?

Any thoughts very welcome. Thanks in advance! :-)

Comments (16)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.