nicnoll

Apartment hallway - far end focal point?

Nicola Noller
8 years ago

I'm moving into a modern apartment with a long (c. 6 metre) hallway that runs along the centre of it. There's no natural light, other then that which pools into the hall when one of the bedroom doors off it are open. There are four doors down one side, one cupboard door on the opposite wall, a door at the far end (to a windowless bathroom), and opening out at the other end is the lobby (about 3 x 1.7m, featuring front door and door to living area).
I plan to go dramatic, embrace the absence of light and paint everything very dark: ceiling walls, doors and trim, leaving the floor mid-natural wood. Wall space would be occupied by plenty of artwork and at the lobby end of the hall a largish painting, predominantly bright yellow, would be positioned above a (mirrored?) console table (hiding radiator!) with lamp, which would act as a bright focal point for the hallway.
Does this sound OTT? Have I lost the plot? I figure it's the hall, I don't spend oodles of time in it, and the living areas are light and bright by contrast.
An additional question to anyone who may have done this, or got this far without thinking I'm crazy: Would the far end wall and door to bathroom benefit from being a contrasting colour (like a strong yellow, perhaps)? Does there need to be a 'light at the end of the tunnel'? Or would it work keeping the hall decor entirely cave-like?

Comments (14)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.