lspendl828

Window style advice please

lspendl 828
3 years ago

Hello Houzzers. It’s me again looking for more help! 😀

Window company is coming in 2 days and I’m getting edgy as we’re still dithering about what style to have at the back of the house. Colour isn’t the issue this time as we’re going with dark grey to match the conservatory. Question is, should we have transoms to echo the conservatory or no transoms?
Pics in comments to follow.

Comments (47)

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

With transoms ( thanks to Eurocell app).

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Without transoms.

• Related Discussions

Floor plan advice please!

Q

Comments (10)
    You could create an ensuite by borrowing space from the second bedroom, accessing it from the master. I would create one large luxury family bathroom by joining the current bathroom and the adjoining room into one. If you don't want to lose a room, you could swap the purpose of the two rooms, creating a medium sized bathroom and a small box room/study (expensive for some benefit). Lastly, if you really want to maintain the number of rooms but gain a bigger bathroom, you could move the family bathroom to the bottom, right-hand room, if plumbing allows. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Bathroom accessories advice please

Q

Comments (1)
    You may find choosing one deep neutral per bath helpful in organizing laundry. Reed shades will go with all rooms.
    ...See More

window colour advice, bay windows, wet pebble dash

Q

Comments (11)
    This might sound a bit like being on the fence given the advice you've had already... How about a mid to dark grey ( less contrast than black), RAL 7022 is a favourite of mine (warmer grey), or look at a green grey, as something that will have the colour of the olive, with a good amount of contrast against the white render, (you won't have the warm rich colours of the brickwork as in the photos above (which the olive looks good against)). If you are painting the timber windows you would do well to look at microporous opaque stains to reduce your on-going maintenance. A benefit of aluclad composite windows is colour outside can be factory supplied different to the interior finish. Hope this might help. Regards, Nick
    ...See More

Curtain colour & style advice

Q

Comments (1)
    A Greige would be nice, a mix between Grey and Beige, I wouldn't go fully to either colour. But, an in-between would be nice. If you'd like any, one to one advice or design help, feel free to get in touch. Email - kerrybryaninteriors@outlook.com Kerry
    ...See More
  • Sarah L
    3 years ago

Without looks more modern, and would be my choice

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sarah.

• Erin
    3 years ago

Definitely without I would say

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

Absolutely without 100%

• Carolina
    3 years ago

My vote goes to without transoms too.

Is that the back door? Are you going for that design? Because it looks like a front door to me. If it is your back door, would you not rather have one with a glass top part? More like a traditional back door design? Or am I just too old fashioned?

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Without for me too and agree with Carolina Re the style of door plus it would obviously block light

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Carolina. No, not having that door. It was the only one on the app without a letter box so just used it for ease. 😀

So, even though the conservatory has transom, the consensus of opinion is that we don’t need them on the main house?

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Minnie. 😀

• minnie101
    3 years ago

😂 might look nice on the front then!

• Victoria
    3 years ago

No transoms on main house. Looks fine with conservatory as it is 👍🏻

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone. Decision made - transom free is the way to go. 😀

In terms of the panes layout, pic 1 (wide in middle with narrower one either side) or pic 2 (3 equal size panes)? Large windows are 296cm wide.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I like the equal size panes

• Victoria
    3 years ago

Three equal panes

• Sarah L
    3 years ago

Yes to equal panes

• hedgehog99
    3 years ago

equal definitely

• LTS
    3 years ago

Do you use the transom windows (if operational)? My neighbour installed new windows last year with dummy transoms in the middle pane of 3 pane windows. He regretted not being able to open them during the warmer months, especially as he did not want to leave large window open overnight.

I’ve just gone through this dilemma myself...new windows are being fitted in a couple of weeks with transoms in the middle pane of the 3 pane windows. I couldn’t be without them as we use them a lot. Good luck with your decision.

lspendl 828 thanked LTS
  • lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LTS, we do use the current transoms upstairs all year round (although not when Storm Darcy's around!). Must admit that was our concern about not having any. Somehow I'd convinced myself there must be some magical way of opening the larger non-transomed window in a secure way, while out or at night. Was going to ask the window company tomorrow.

You've got me thinking again...

• E D
    3 years ago

I certainly like the ‘without’ look better. But yes, definitely make sure there will be a satisfactory and safe/secure way to open/ventilate.

lspendl 828 thanked E D
  • Carolina
    3 years ago

I was assuming they were tilt and turn (is that the term) windows? Where you will be able to tilt them so the top opens slightly. In which case you need to be aware of what kind of window treatments you want and whether that will still be possible. The no transom windows look better, but practicality tops that I think. Good to have that discussion with the window people.

lspendl 828 thanked Carolina
  • hedgehog99
    3 years ago

We’re getting new windows which have a ventilation restrictor so you can safely leave them ajar at night, so no need for transoms - your window company will be able to advise on whether they do something similar but I’m sure they will as transoms are less popular these days

• Carolina
    3 years ago

We have hooks/handles (? Not sure what the word is), which might be the ventilation restrictor that’s meant in the above comment?, that also come with locks for security reasons. So the windows can stay open ever so slightly.

• LTS
    3 years ago

We installed new windows at the back a few years ago. You can leave the large windows locked open a little bit, which is fine to let a bit of cold air in but not enough to circulate air in the warmer months. Would be interested to hear what your window company suggest. I do prefer the look of no transoms but know I need my transoms, lol.

lspendl 828 thanked LTS
  • lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will let you know tomorrow. I’m at work - hubby’s in charge. 😱

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Have you got a pic of yours, LTS,by any chance? I know I’ve read your thread when I was researching but can’t find it now.

• Sonia
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I always open my little windows in the bedrooms at night, except during stormy weather of course. I’m not sure about leaving bigger windows open unless there’s a heatwave, wouldn’t it be draughty? Don’t ever leave any windows open when you are out as you will invalidate your insurance.

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Exactly Sonia. It’s not just about the aesthetics is it?!

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Yes it’s a dilemma. I’ve made decisions before on looks above practicality, and I’m never quite happy with it. I hope you come up with a decision soon, Good luck!

• hedgehog99
    3 years ago

Not sure if this link will work but this is what I mean. Window can be in safe ventilation mode at night or opened normally in the day time while you’re at home https://youtu.be/5pTimnSPcMM

• pmasmith3
    3 years ago

We have trickle vents at the top of each window. They are easy to slide open to let fresh air circulate. The windows an also be locked open at about half an inch.

lspendl 828 thanked pmasmith3
  • LTS
    3 years ago

We have gone for aluminium casement with dummy sashes on the fixed panes (D in the diagram). All panes per window are equal widths. Took us forever to decide!

lspendl 828 thanked LTS
  • LTS
    3 years ago

This is what we have currently. The bottom left window will be 3 panes not 4.

lspendl 828 thanked LTS
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

Most of my windows are like this with just one diddy opening. The bigger windows also open which is great during the summer. Nothing posh but very useable!

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for everyone's comments so far - really useful.

Window man was here today. Said that we can't have 3 equal panes where one of them opens as the opener would be too big at 296cm wide. So would 4 equal panes be better or would my original mock-up (pic 1) with a large central pane and a slim window either side be preferable?

As for the ability to open the full height pane, it can be opened and locked at 1cm for ventilation or 10cm for more air flow but this wouldn't be secure enough to go out and leave as someone up a ladder could easily release it. As a result, I'm now seriously thinking about transoms again even though I agree with you all that without looks better.

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s where I’m at now. Any more thoughts?

• LTS
    3 years ago

Did the window man mention about top hung windows? They can be wider than side hung windows so may be worth checking. The Eurocell Modus range can be 1200mm wide if too hung which means you can have 3 panes if that is what you prefer.

• LTS
    3 years ago

*too hung

• LTS
    3 years ago

HTH

• Fiona Millar
    3 years ago

How many times will you stand outside admiring/criticising your windows versus how many times will you want to open them? That might help your decision.
    And wasn’t life easier when we had less choice!

• Sarah L
    3 years ago

Definitely not the middle one. Looks like an odd combination of 2 different styles.

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Don’t think top hung was mentioned today by the window co. ( I was out at work - left it to hubby). I’ll look into them. He did advise not to go for tilt & turn though.

Sarah L you’ve convinced me to scrub that particular option. 😁

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Indeed Fiona Millar. Much easier! But you’re right. 😀

• hedgehog99
    3 years ago

Hmmm, I totally agree that function is more important than form, but I do wonder if you're right to go back to transoms because of the limitations of one window company. I think if it were me (I do have a really strong dislike of transoms though, so maybe this is just me!), I would stick with trying to get the look I liked, but with the necessary functionality/security. I would investigate some other options, eg:

- top hung as LTS suggested

- tilt and turn (they can work really well if you have deep recesses - they are only problematic with window coverings if you have shallow recesses which mean that they "tilt" into a blind or curtains. Why did your window company advise against them? It might be as simple as they're trickier for them to make, or they make less profit margin on them). My parents have tilt and turn in deep recesses and they work really well - you can clean them easily from the inside and have them open in two different ways, including one which is completely secure for nighttime or when you're out in the day. I would have them too but our window recesses are too shallow so I'm in the process of working through other options with Velfac.

I think that 3 equal sized panes is definitely the most aesthetically pleasing layout on your style of house. I suppose what I'm saying is, this isn't the only window company, another one might be able to give you everything you want - both the look and the function. It's a big investment and you don't want to regret your choices further down the line.

• lspendl 828
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks hedgehog99. They dismissed tilt & turn based on the inconvenience/difficulty with window treatments when opening windows. They’re currently pricing up 4 panes with no transoms - once I’ve got that I’ll find out about top hung and if need be go elsewhere.
    I’m researching top hung now. 😀

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Looks lovely. Well done!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.