hzdeleted_65032167

1930's semi needs new kitchen, plumbing and layout help please!

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

hello, we have a 1930's semi that really needs a new kitchen/diner (at the back of our house). Here is a drawing of our current kitchen/diner, with measurements in CMs. We would like to knock down the walls (marked with ***) and make it one space - would need to put steels in. At the moment you have to zigzag around the walls to get into the kitchen, we'd like to bring the door back into the hallway so you can walk straight in.

But not sure which way round to have the kitchen/dining areas. Our kitchen is tiny at the mo, but it only needs to be a bit bigger, have a few more cupboards as there are only 2 of us. We'd like a nice space to dine in and entertain friends.

We have a slightly odd arrangement in that all of our drains go into next-door's gardens (front and back), and our back garden is much lower than theirs...

I assume this would mean if we wanted to move the sink under the window on the right in first pic, that the waste pipe would then need to go past the doorway in order to drain properly. -Not possible?

A plumber has suggested that we should put our own drain in the front garden and re-route all waste water from the back of the house to the new drain. We have a small crawl space under our house so this might not be so hard... no idea what it would cost though.

Also, if we wanted to put double doors where the window is, we would have to build a new set of steps/ platform to get down from. Our neighbours on the other side are about 8ft lower than us (v hilly area!) so this may mean they were now overlooked.

What would you do if this was your space? Should we leave the kitchen area mostly where it is to save money or should we have our own drains in case we fall out with our neighbours or something? We don't have loads of money but could spend about £15k??

Here are some pics of our kitchen/diner as it is - please excuse the mess!

Any help welcome, this is the last area of our house that needs improving, feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all! Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.