niamh_mccartney

Tub be or not tub be...

peony grace
Ok the tub has to stay. I realise it is too big for the room. You won't believe what my builder did to accommodate my wild dream of a roll top bath. And it was free. I have no budget for this house renovation. So, I got the bah of my dreams in a room too small for it! Of course things never look how you imagined them. The tub kind of dictates the decor. I have a million ideas! I was thinking grey antique mosaic tiles might draw the eye away from the scale of the tub and also would work well with the style of the tub. Do I go dark and dramatic? Light and airy? Bold and mixed or Victorian simplicity? All ideas welcome. Just don't tell me to get rid of the tub!!!

• peony grace
    Yes I did think about asking whether I should put it along the left of the wall. I am going to discuss this with the builder on Monday as I think they've already positioned the piping and I'm all out of favours in this job, trust me :D I'm also considering what ware to get for toilet and sink. Heritage style would make sense with the roll top but I'm really drawn to the wide bowl countertop style sinks. (Plus they might create illusion of more space?!) Would this style countertop bowl and an entry level priced toilet look totally weird together with this tub? I
    Might spend a bit extra on a more suitable toilet if so....I'm buying this house as a starter home and not to sell, and I'm renovating it on a now-disappearing shoestring so I would prefer tiles I love over a fancy heritage sink and loo....but I don't want it to feel cheap or cobbled together either.
    Carol Johnson
    Not the first sink, the second one is a bit better, undermount is the most functional sink. I would splurge on a quality toilet!
  • peony grace
    I have just grabbed a second hand bargain for my
    Downstairs toilet and sink. So I think I might use the money I saved there to get a nice toilet and sink for upstairs! But do you think modern clashes with the roll top, would heritage style with pedestal sink be better? Given that the room is tiny any optical illusions I can create are good.....
    Sophie Wheeler

Better worry about structural integrity and waterproofing than the pretty bits. That room is no where near ready to be tiled or have the tub set.

• peony grace
    The builder is sorting that stuff out for me. I have just been ordered to order tiles to have them ready to go.
  • rocketjcat
    Can you rotate the top 90 degrees centered on the back wall so you're looking into the room when you're bathing instead of at a wall? Then you'd have room for a small table for your towel etc?
  • suezbell
    last modified: 4 years ago

Is that your bathroom? If so, the people working on your floor and walls will not appreciate having the tub in there before they do their work, especially with needing to rebuild the floor and subfloor, all while trying to keep it level, and doing so with no space to work from underneath the floor either. Hope you have an adjoining room w/wall you can rip out to get the tub out while the work is being done.

How long is your room? Cleaning behind that tub is going to be a .....

My mom had one years ago and spider webs ... happened ... repeatedly ... even with spraying.

For colors, classic white suggestion (miacometlady) would work.

• peony grace
    Yeah the builder put the tub in there so I guess he is going to be ok with taking it back out!! I'll post pics when it's done! Found lighter tiles that work better and pricing subway tiles tomorrow for the final decision! Thanks for all the input!!
  • peony grace
    Think this lighter grey larger tile is an improvement, with those patterned ones on the floor. Getting prices on metro subway tiles tomorrow though, might just manage it.
  • kjbjw

Keep us posted, it's going to look great. Fingers crossed on the subway tile.

About the sink. Don't forget storage underneath. It there an Ikea near you? They are pro's at making the most out of tiny spaces.

Good luck.

peony grace thanked kjbjw
  • Deborah TeSelle

Don't do the patterned tile unless you really, really like it. I've learned to leave it be or keep it neutral until you can make a confident decision... confident that you will be glad you made that decision when finances aren't so tight. If you do go with the pattern, maybe they can cut the grey tile into smaller tiles and a white grout will help.

peony grace thanked Deborah TeSelle
    juliadiamond007
    niamh, I am using floor tiles almost like yours-- faux encaustic but with one pattern. im not a fan of the 4-pattern tiles. if I were you I would stick with white subway tiles and keep searching for some floor tiles you'll fall in live with--they're out there! the white subways will go with everything. you can paint the tub any color you want and if you don't like it, its easy to change. I wouldn't spend my budget on an upscale toilet though--that's something you can change later as well. I think you should worry about your floor tiles--thats the one thing you can't change.
    peony grace thanked juliadiamond007
    juliadiamond007
    and yes, a contemporary sink will work with your tub! in fact too much historical accuracy seems, well, a bit dated.
    peony grace thanked juliadiamond007
  • peony grace
    Some food for thought...I saw this in Elle decor and I LOVE it! Was thinking to do the body of the tub in Downpipe by farrow and ball. I think this pic shows this plan can work. And the sink is exactly what I was planning! Hmmmm! Decisions decisions! Thanks everyone for all the help with this one
  • peony grace
    While hunting for tiles still for this bathroom I found these lovely ones for my kitchen splashback! To go with a grey concrete floor and birch ply with brushed stainless steel countertop...will bring in some colour on the walls! I love doing this project, could look at tiles all day!!
  • km kane
    C
    juliadiamond007
    what are you going to do with the birch ply? also, is a steel countertop expensive over in the UK?
    juliadiamond007
    ps-i like where you are going with the kitchen!
  • peony grace

Hi Julia I'll post pics for you as kitchen is fitting next week. The steel countertop (2 x 3m x 0.6 lengths with 2 cut outs) has come to 350 Euros inc VAT and delivery which is pricey enough I think. But rather than spend 150 on laminate ones I don't like and will end up replacing anyway....

• pjmorris
    last modified: 4 years ago

I was thinking if it was my bathroom I'd want a drain in the middle of the room so I could use the shower-head to clean around and under the tub.

juliadiamond007
    hi niamh, i d love to see the kitchen pgotos .
  • peony grace
    Just waiting for the go grout to go in, ended up picking the patterned ones in a moment of desperation but I quite like them after all! Will post finished pics as soon as the ware and paint etc is done....
  • peony grace
    Kitchen in progress
  • kjbjw

It's going to be so pretty...

I don't think that the floor tile matches up though?? Isn't it supposed to be like a patchwork without any two similar squares together?

Maybe someone who has had their coffee will pipe in...

Love your kitchen choices.

juliadiamond007
    its looking really nice. good job!
  • Snaggy
    last modified: 4 years ago

kjbjw ..I thought the tiles looked wrong as well ?! the big cross in the middle looks the wrong way round ..i thought it should make a diamond not a cross ?!

• kjbjw
    last modified: 4 years ago

@Snaggy, it certainly seems wrong somehow...I think it should be less matching as I don't think there is a pattern to match with patchwork tiles. I could be wrong, however.

Is this how you wanted it to be set, Niamh?

• Snaggy

I assume the big pipe will be boxed in ?

• peony grace
    Yeah, we tried a few different patterns but we thought it looked very weird when it wasn't matched up even though I think it's supposed to be like that. So tiler sent a few pics over and I picked that option myself. The thinking was that it's a tiny space and the blocks of white brighten the room up a bit. Eek do you think it looks bad?

I'm learning so much on this project!! So stressed out that I've let a few decisions slide or let stress pressure me into rushing decisions. But overall I think I can live with these tiles happily for a while :)
  • peony grace
    @snaggy yes they will be boxing it in, thank goodness! I'm actually so upset about those pipes :-/ have seen other examples online of much neater solutions and there was a lack of comms between builder and plumber re: what bath was going in. Unfortunately my budget is gone and they are doing me a lot of favours so I'll have to chalk that one down to experience! :-(
  • Snaggy

:(

• J Petempich
    last modified: 4 years ago

I think you will be happy with this in the end. Most of the pipe will be hidden by the tub. The tile is unique, it can't be dated and goes with the tub. I see the pattern as fine with the layout. Actually having a visible pipe goes with the old tub in an odd sort of way but it can be hidden where it will show. Putting it below may have involved cutting floor joists or even an up-pump so this may have been the only solution at a lower cost. Please post again when it is done.

• J Petempich

Are you going to choose the color of grout that is in the four square? I am seeing a definite light color to match.

• peony grace
    Went back to see the finish and attached photo is the grout that was used. Think it's silver grey? The colour I am thinking about for the walls is called Elephants Breath by Farrow and Ball. I attached a sample photo from their website. Or a similar light warm gray colour. It's a grey with a warm hint lilac. Will post wall samples next week to see what you think works best!!
  • J Petempich

I like the wall tile you used. It has a hint of the glazed blocks that were used back in the 20s. I think it goes with the tub very well.

• peony grace
    Thank you! I kind of accidentally
    merged my industrial concrete vs Victorian dream styles and somehow it works?! Curious to see it now with the painted finish and taps etc.
  • kjbjw

It's going to be very lovely. Interested to see how the pipe gets boxed in and how they are going to attach it.

• chiflipper

Love your bath floor! Please post photos of the finished bath, you have done very well considering your budget. Ah, the joys of old plumbing.

• peony grace
    Thanks, I'm so pleased. Have managed to do the entire house for under 30k when I was told it would take 60k at least. Very happy with the way it's going! Will have finished pics to share very soon :D total cost of ware and tiles came in under 300€ plus labour of €150 so didn't do too badly!!
  • Rachel S
    I think it looks great so far. Many of the ads for claw foot tubs, and magazines, show them with encaustic/cement tile and plain white surround. Also, you did something creative and attractive with the tile layout. I love the nickel shine of your clawfoot legs too. If you can maybe get a corner shelf on one side of the wall, you'll have a place for soap, candle or bubble bath. And maybe hotel towel holder on another wall to get the height up. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
  • peony grace
    Getting there.....
  • Marymc

loving the updates, looks great so far

peony grace thanked Marymc
  • peony grace

What would you do with the birch cabinet? I am not sure whether to paint some of it Downpipe or another colour, or leave it raw? Going to wait until I paint the walls to make a decision here.

Also wondering about mirror - where to place, what size/style might look good in this tiny space :)

• Rachel S
    What will you do for paint color? Could use something cheery and or crisp...
  • peony grace

im not sure at all! I will try some samples anyway. I was thinking either a light white/grey to match the tiles, or some sort of a blue...open to suggestions!

• J Petempich

I was looking at your toilet and decided that a back outlet toilet would work in my basement without cutting into the concrete floor. I checked them out on-line and they are about 3X the cost of a bottom outlet toilet. Amazing how different parts of the world have different fixtures. I guess I need to do more research.

• kittihawke
    Looking good!
  • Mary Kelleher

I would definitely re- position the bath along the wall and perhaps put a heated towel rail on the other side you would still have space to put something ornamental in between like a plant or a small table with nice soaps etc

• kjbjw

How is it going? I would love to see...