jaydigs

Paving colour for driveway - To match or not to match?

Jason Digs
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello Houzz Community,

I hope you are all well.

I have a small dilemma on choosing the correct paving colour for my front driveway and was wondering if I could kindly request your feedback on which one to go for. I have narrowed it down to two.

Firstly, let me start off by saying I have just had the front wall built that is a 1:1 copy of my neighbours wall. See some before and afters below;

Before

After

Paving Options

As mentioned about, the colour choices for the driveway are down to two - Killyleagh and Cashel, which I have posted a picture of below:

My neighbour already has his driveway completed and he went for Killyleagh, which you can see in the video here - https://streamable.com/1f8mdd

I like how Killyleagh does not clash with the wall colour however, it also looks a bit greyer/duller. Cashel matches but is it too much of the same colour scheme going on?

Given the colour of the wall and the front of the house being rendered in a predominately white with a rich orange segment, which of the two paving options do you think best suits?

UPDATE - CASHEL IS OUT. NEW VOTE IS BETWEEN KILLYLEAGH AND SLATE

Seems like Cashel has been turfed out but there is a little vote off between Slate and Killy.

I have until tomorrow to make that decision but wanted to open the voting again between the two. Here are a couple of better pics of the two:

KILLYLEAGH AND SLATE

FRONT HOUSE - DIFFERENT ANGLE

FYI, I will be leaving that front space between the two piers open i.e. no gate. This is because it will allow two cars to get in easily. I will however, be getting the black railings. We also have a Midnight blue door on order. I am contemplating grey window frames but undecided on this yet.

To Slate or to Killy?

Thank you again.

Comments (138)

• E D
    3 years ago

Agree with colourhappy, minnie.

Maybe do the windows in the same colour?

I think Jason may well be tempted and could set a trend for the whole terrace. 😊

• annabellaamy
    3 years ago

love the terracotta pot idea too !!!

• Related Discussions

How to improve this exterior?

Q

Comments (22)
    What about 6 massive pots? Two one either side of the bay windows and one on either side of the front door. (I too have a massive gray gravel drive way. Trying to plant through the gravel brings on a whole other set of challenges. Pots are just more practical, for me anyway.) I love those trees in the lawn area.:) And the green trim. Also, how would that bright area around the front door look painted a shade a bit closer to the color of the brick and stone areas?
    ...See More

Exterior paint colour dilemma

Q

Comments (2)
    Taupe would look lovely with the black trim, also. You can go as light or dark as you like, but I like a medium tone. Paint a sample on the wall before purchasing the large amount needed to paint the entire house.
    ...See More

First Impression

Q

Comments (12)
    Do little. Your house presents just fine for sale. Make sure it is clean and there is no obvious deferred maintenance. If you were making changes for your own enjoyment that would be one thing but making pretty taste specific changes for an unknown buyer is a whole nother thing. Clean up the landscaping, edge the lawn areas and add some color in plants.
    ...See More

Curb appeal??!

Q

Comments (14)
    Gosh, I've returned after a week travelling for work to loads more suggestions - thanks all! To respond specifically: - the house faces south so gets the lovely morning (and in the uk, sometimes the only) sun. - the husband has avoided putting plants in the planters due to maintenance and they're generally twee so comments here have confirmed to me that they will be coming out - love the idea of wooden boxes with the spiky plants and grasses - also like the concept of taking out the grass/bed/tree in front completely out and replacing with slabs - yes to lightening the windows - to the Barn company, I honestly don't mind the advice and I'd never seen sloping garage roofs. - nicking ideas from landscaping of new builds....great idea! - finally, Helen Scholes, I'm embarrassed about the spelling of kerb. Had no idea! Thanks again all.
    ...See More
  • rachelmidlands
    3 years ago

Hi Jason, drive looks fab 🙂. For my two cents worth I think keep door number under light on the right and personal choice but I like doors 10 & 11 in either anthracite or black but defo not a mid grey. Sonia makes a valid point about hanging baskets, I love them but they are a lot of maintenance. Colourhappy’s suggestion for bay tree in pot would be great, needs to be a really large pot tho or perhaps a square wooden planter painted same colour as the front door?
    Are you changing the light? Was thinking a modern style would suit really well but I suppose this depends on what door style you go for.
    I love Minnie’s photoshop....brill👍.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Well there’s got to be a first for everything 😆

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone and thank you Minnie for the photoshopped images.

There have been a few likes regarding this door from the comments above:

• E D
    3 years ago

Not popular with your post person I fear... ✉️ 😂

• Sonia
    3 years ago

E D you are so funny, you notice things that simply pass me by!

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Rachel, is this something like what you were thinking.

- Modern Lanterns

- Dark door number 10 with a subtle pattern pane

- Number plate side on the right side under

**forgot to add the letter box.

I like the TRIO lights here - https://www.ideas4lighting.com/shop-outdoor-c21/wall-lights-c27/sensor-lights-c2171#t207:t955

• annabellaamy
    3 years ago

I'd go slightly more traditional than the above picture. Letterboxes at the bottom of doors are not practical and not so secure either. You can have a very smart up to date contemporary look without going for a fashionable door that you'll get sick of. Your house will look brilliant when done....keep it up !

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like this meets your thoughts @annabellaamy

• annabellaamy
    3 years ago

You've got it !!

• Victoria
    3 years ago

Been lurking. That’s my favourite door 😊

• rachelmidlands
    3 years ago

Now I’ve seen a pic of the Vermont?? door in situ I’m not so sure now. Go with your heart and choose the one that you like the most. Or are we going to have another coin flipping moment 😉. I like those lights, a little pricey but nice and simple. Worth shopping around tho as there’s plenty of choice. Wait till you get the door in first then see how you go from there.
    All the best. 🙂

• rachelmidlands
    3 years ago

Oh, door no. 10. I was referring to the door above, the Jacobean.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yea after I saw Vermont it doesn't really flow and stands out too much.

The Jacobeam (last two I posted images of) seems the best as they flow with the shape of the windows.

Put a couple of these badboys up and we are good to go. Simple, elegant but importantly flows and doesn't make a hard statement.

https://www.ideas4lighting.com/shop-outdoor-c21/wall-lights-c27/sensor-lights-c2171/trio-lighting-rhine-modern-anthracite-diecast-aluminium-wall-lamp-p49430

• rachelmidlands
    3 years ago

I also like the ‘English cottage’ (door 9) door from Minnie’s photoshop.
    Sorry I’m not helping am I.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No it's fine. I was originally going to go with the Cottage door (9). This is the one Sonia likes too.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

For what it’s worth, this is my favourite. The one glazed panel appears to compliment existing windows and the height of the glazing looks good. If it was in budget I don’t know whether I’d change the canopy tiles to slate (Back to my normal standard of photoshop 😂)

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Minnie. That looks great.

So new fact for all asking the age of the property - These houses were built in the interwar period was the period  between the end of the First World War on November 11, 1918 and the beginning of the Second World War on September 1, 1939.

Minnie, whats that green thingy planty thing behind the brick wall? That is great. I want one of them but I don't want it to grow too high. That height is perfect.

I like the door but it feels like too much glass but I get why you said it suits.the window flow.

I could go for the Canopy or simply repaint it that rich slate colour?

That Mr Miyagi style plant on the left of the door is great but looks massive. Any suggestions on plans similar but smaller in size. I believe Julie posted one above that seemed to be the right fit.

I don't want a statement object. Rather I'm looking for a nice fit flow that looks great together.

Thank you again!

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Ah ok, i did wonder if they were a bit older than post WW2 due to the bricks on the chimneys.

it was an almanchier tree but don’t ask me what type! I think height differs quite a bit between them. I may be wrong but think you can prune them. Sonia and Rachel are the resident gardening experts!

Yes tile paint should work, I just meant change the tiles rather than the canopy but painting is a cheaper option 😊

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Meant to say did you mean Juliet (colourhappy)? If so, that was a bay tree

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Guess where I am. A bleeding Garden Centre. God help me. I've come for a bit of inspiration.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is this the one ladies!

• E D
    3 years ago

I feel discriminated against... 😄

• Sonia
    3 years ago

That’s the one Jason. A bay tree. The leaves are great In stews and Bolognese and white sauce too. Check the label to ensure it’s the edible one! Poor E D 😢

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

I hope that's a very tiny bench ( ;

• annabellaamy
    3 years ago

Cant think of many better places to be than a garden centre...

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry ED!

Here's a picture that will cheer you up

Back to the Garden Center tomorrow to get that pot and bay tree along with some ??flowers??

Any tips on what to go for here? I'm thinking the following colours will be nice - pink, maroon, green along the vertical stretch..Hopefully these won't grow high or overlap with each other?

At the top of the stretch where there's more space, I need that tree thingy that minnie posted that doesn't grow stupid high but at the same height or just above the wall.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

One small tree I can suggest is the ornamental apricot Prunus mum’s Beni-Chi-dori - bright pink flowers in spring and only grows to 2 metres (or so they say!). Many other trees, even the dwarf ones, grow to 2-3 metres plus and as wide, so maybe an evergreen shrub would do instead? Something like a Viburnum tinus (whitish pink flowers in winter), Ceanothus (blue flowers in May, Photinia Red Robin (red leaves in spring), Choisya ternata Sundance (yellow leaves, white flowers in May). All are evergreen and don’t mind being cut back a bit if they spread out a bit too much. Smaller plants are Hebe (evergreen with white or purple flowers), Lavender (needs sun), Geranium Rozanne (blue flowers all summer long). There are loads more if you want a list!
    This is the tree Prunus mume

• E D
    3 years ago

Yes some kind of evergreen ‘thingy’ 😊 would be great I feel. Greenery all year round. 👌

• E D
    3 years ago

Oh and the more the better! 👍

btw, your drive/front garden is starting to look great. Well done.

• carocat24
    3 years ago

And put in some bulbs so you get some nice early colour.,tulips would be good - mix up the early and later flowering ones, and pick colours you like.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The moment or truth my beautiful people. I love you all. We still have the door, lanterns, plants, railings and house number to go but here is the finished floor attached. You will probably like the video better, which I have hosted here:

https://streamable.com/l87o66

ED, Sonia, Minnie, Juliette and so many others. This is your brain child and I thank you for supporting me through thus far. By the way I have gone for the cottage style door!

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

That looks great well done.

• HU-290967725
    3 years ago

It looks amazing. Very quick work. Our house projects seem to stretch over months trying to sort decisions! So well done. Cant wait to see the finished project.

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

Lovely job and quick too.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Looks great Jason. The drive is lovely and I like how the pavers are grey but there are other shades in it, making it look very natural. How you did it so quick I’ll never know, unless you have your own personal landscaper ready and waiting! Good choice on the door. Well done.

• rachelmidlands
    3 years ago

Drive looks fab! And great planting suggestions from Sonia. Along with the main tree/shrub in the front corner some small evergreens would look good along the side. Hakonachloa (Japanese forest grass) or heucharas which are virtually evergreen would look nice I think but there’s plenty other plants to choose from. And a few spring bulbs like daffodils are ideal for planting now.
    Why not ask in the garden centre and show them a photo of the plot as they’ll have an idea of what they can supply you with.
    I’m also going to suggest rowan/sorbus (mountain ash) for a small tree in the corner which shouldn’t get too high hopefully but as Sonia suggested maybe a shrub that can be trimmed might be be more suitable for your needs. But here’s a link for some rowan trees: https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/rowan-tree-mountain-ash-trees-sorbus-c43#t16

Bay tree and pot...awesome! Don’t forget the soil. 😆
    Can’t wait to see everything when it’s finished.

• AM
    3 years ago

In the front corner you could try a Salix Integra flamingo standard. About5ft tall they have pretty pink foliage in spring/summer and although deciduous the stems are red/ orange in winter so it looks good all year round. They are easy to maintain just needing a trim in autumn. They have a wow factor and would be a good statement plant at the front of your now smart house!

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

AM do they have issues with roots? I heard that they can cause damage and should be planted away from anything structural. My neighbours have been at war over damage to block paving with bamboo shoots.

• AM
    3 years ago

Hi Colourhappy, I believe that as they are standard/ shrubs rather than trees they do not have a large root system and so are not invasive? By trimming back in autumn you keep the plant ( and therefore the roots) small?

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What do you guys think of a Japanese Maple (Dwarf) tree in the corner? Any gotchas here?

• Patricia Tyrrell
    3 years ago

larger concrete flags in grey as you need a contrast in texture. You could also bring lines of brick through it to tie in with the house brick lines....and of course plants in the areas where a car cannot be parked or turned.

• AM
    3 years ago

Jason The Japanese maple/acer you mentioned is beautiful but it grows wide so I think would invade your parking space.

• annabellaamy
    3 years ago

we have a Salix Integra flamingo in our front garden. The colours are amazing....!! Will suit your house down to the ground....theyre not too expensive either....

• nmlondon
    3 years ago

These are my Japanese acers, I selected the shorter varieties since the drive isn't huge. The red one is approximately 10yo, the other two are 6-7 yo. They grow quite slow and stay compact,in my opinion. I tried to take the photos in front of our Cooper so you get the idea of the sizes. They are Garnet (2+ m) Bi Ho (2m) and Winter Flame (1.5m and it grew 50cm during the last three years). Acers can be shaped, I'll be removing some lower branches to add some structure. They are gorgeous in autumn and passers-by often stop to admire.

• Zat Toos
    3 years ago

Can I be cheeky and ask how much was your wall? We need a new wall built and have no idea how much these things cost.

• E D
    3 years ago

Love your planting, nmlondon and equally love the way you’ve apparently used zoning.

Would be great, for Jason also... 😊, to see more of it from further away.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You can be cheeky.

Removal of existing fence and bushes, Materials (Bricks, Blue Bricks, Copings, Piers, Sand, Cement etc.) and Labour (around 5 days with 3 guys) came to £4350.

• HU-692363571
    3 years ago

Hi love the wall and driveway. Can I be cheeky and ask for contact details for builders please?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.