toria_jamieson

Exterior Stain or Paint recommendations for hardwood windows please?

Toria J
3 years ago

They are Brazilian Teak/Mahogany. From just before it became known that hardwood farming was destroying the rainforest - late '80s? (The property is a Colt bungalow built in the '60s.)

Two main areas that I'd appreciate views on if possible please:

1. Colour?

AFAIK, they were last painted in Sadolin Classic/Extra (Teak or Mahogany), which has turned burgundy-pinkish over time and has never looked right, especially against the golden brown of the shingles.
None of the darker brown stains have golden undertones either - all appear red.

Should I just stain them all Ebony to match the doorframes, and Black Ash veranda & trellis? Would all that black be too overwhelming/stark?

I have no idea how much work it would take to strip it back to the original colour, or if it's even possible, or it there is a stain which would look good with that.

2. Stain or Paint?

My original plan was two coats of Sadolin Classic and one of the Extra Durable, in Ebony to match the black elsewhere.
However, it'll probably be more like four/five coats, and I've read the Classic (as a base) doesn't stretch well.

I'm not too keen on the opaque look, so that would rule out Superdec which would only need two coats.
Should I still go for opaque instead of a stain?

I have been looking at alternatives e.g. Jotun Demidekk, Benjamin Moore Aura Satin, but they could also be too opaque.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Superdec, Zinsser Allcoat, Jotun Demidekk (Ultimate or Translucent), Benjamin Moore Aura please? I've read that the Dulux Weathershield for this purpose isn't very long lasting.
Or has anyone used others - the Sikkens, Teknos, Tikkurilla, Bedec (Barn Paint or Multi Surface) offerings on windows?

Any thoughts on either point appreciated. I'll include some more photos in the comments. Thank you.

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.