webuser_396586756

Please help me make myself look ‘warm’ again!

Saz
4 years ago

Hi everyone,
We are mid way through renovating our modest 1970s house, and I fear I have removed all the warmth from it with my choices of paint and flooring thus far...
When we moved in it was decorated in oranges, peaches, browns and creams and felt very dated and dark. It has large windows in some rooms but really just reminds me of a quirky old cottage inside. The ceilings feel low and it certainly isn’t grand in any way!
I swung completely the other way with colour choices when trying to modernise the decor, choosing blues, greys, greens, whites, to lighten the spaces, but now feel I’ve made a big mistake as some rooms are so drab and cold.
Our house is slightly off east/west facing, and I didn’t consider this when picking colours - I now realise this was a mistake!
Our kitchen is dated, (fitted in 1980), a dark warm wood tone that we cannot yet afford to change, and this was the main factor in choosing a grey dappled vinyl flooring for our kitchen and hallway. I now hate it, but again, it won’t be changed now until we get a new kitchen, which is 2+ years away.
I’ll include some photos and any advice would be so great if anyone has any ideas?
I really like vintage furniture so most items are warm mid/dark tones.
One other thing we have found is that pure brilliant white looks blue almost everywhere where it’s been painted on doors/skirtings etc. It is worse in lots of ways than the dated yellowed oil gloss we have in places!
Thanks very much in advance.

Comments (11)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.