catbos

Need help on kitchen floor tiles

Carol O’Sullivan
10 years ago
Hi, we are nearly finished our kitchen and are deciding on what to put on the floor. I would really like colourful tiles (see photo) but my husband would really like dark mauve tiles. I am afraid the mauve tiles will make the whole kitchen too dark. I attach a photo also of our kitchen. Thank you for advice!

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Annalise Bubes
    10 years ago
    Hi, the darker tiles could look great in contrast with your white cabinets and walls! Refer to the photo below to see what this may look like!

Modern · More Info
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen makeover in progress, need help with flooring and splashback

Q

Comments (8)
    The builder ought to be ashamed for not cleaning up each night...that is part of what my contractors do...every night. As far as flooring...since the cabinets are on the darker side...use a contrasting flooring in travertine stone. use the largest pieces you can get...usually 18" are good but if you can get 24" that's even better! Put them on the diamond. as far as backsplash use travertine again and bring in the same color as the flooring. Use a touch of contrast in the pattern like a darker liner or a motif of somekind.
    ...See More

Need colour help for white kitchen

Q

Comments (12)
    I really like the clean lines of your kitchen , it's beautiful and I would not add to much colour but you could use some accessories with green and white that would compliment this minimalistic kitchen. For example adding a bright green plant/s or an accessory the same colour as the clock on your top wall can put everything in a nice perspective!
    ...See More

Need help choosing colour scheme for kitchen floor and work tops

Q

Comments (0)
    Newly built kitchen with natural light and velux window at dinning area . Kitchen area has a peninsula and no natural light
    ...See More

Need help for kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    I think something like these tiles from Tile Style (http://tilestyle.ie/all-tiles/tiles/alchimia.html) could look really fresh or perhaps the herringbone tiles? Not sure where you can source these though but I love them. Good Luck!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Virtus Design
    10 years ago
    Such a beautiful kitchen! Also agree that the darker tiles will provide a nice contrast to the cabinets!
    Carol O’Sullivan thanked Virtus Design
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Great kitchen. How about black and white tiles? This looks similar to your kitchen, no? I don't see mauve (1975?) looking right with the wood counters. Mauve hasn't been out long enough to come back in style.
    Carol O’Sullivan thanked leelee
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    i agree with all above…could you clarify “mauve”? As in lilac, purple?

I am doing a kitchen now and the tile (porcelain) is a great shade of blue (purple) and I like it a lot…just can’t picture mauve.

Would something like this work for you both? Goes with your counters and leans toward a mauve. You could install them as one solid color or go with leelee’s suggestion.
    Shine Dark Tile · More Info
    Carol O’Sullivan thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Michael Tauber Architecture
    10 years ago
    Keep it simple you have a beautiful start with wood and white cabinets. I would stay away from a lot of color. I like the photo of the dark tiles, I could also see something int he shade of the protective covering on the floor now.
    Carol O’Sullivan thanked Michael Tauber Architecture
  • PRO
    A Step In Stone
    10 years ago
    There are two directions you could go. A dark tile would give a nice contrast against the cabinetry. Also, there doesn't seem to be any action in the countertop, so perhaps a porcelain tile that looks like travertine would look great. I would stay away from a specific color. Good luck
    Carol O’Sullivan thanked A Step In Stone
  • Carol O’Sullivan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all your comments. I attach my idea (the colourful tiles) and I will get an image of the "mauve" ones.
  • Carol O’Sullivan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And here are the mauve tiles
  • User
    10 years ago
    Please say no to the mauve;) There should be laws against this .
    If you want colorful, how about some terra cotta tiles
    Piedmont Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    10 years ago
    Hi catbos.......When I work with a client, I try to include them in all selections. I can make all the choices myself and come up with a lovely room, but I want my client to have ownership in the process too. At the end of the day, I want them to have what they envision, not simply my vision. My job is to help them achieve that. Sometimes a client goes in a direction that I am not expecting and then I need to ask myself "Does it really not work?", or is it just different that what I saw in my mind. That's where I am with your floor tile. I would have chosen something like the dark tile in Annalise's picture or something gray as suggested by Michael. But, after seeing your colorful tile choice, I kind of like it. It's just not what I expected, but if you love it - go for it. I think it works. Your husband's choice , however, and tell him I am very sorry about this, but I really, really don't like it.
  • emerald18
    10 years ago
    Thanks for this comment. It has given me confidence in my choice. I thought and thought about my dilemma last night and really want to go for my colourful tiles. I talked again to my husband this morning and he said as I did such a good job in the design of the kitchen (he was too busy at the time to give any input), that he will go with what I decide. So I am 99% sure that I will go for the colorful tiles. I'll sleep on it one more night, but it just really helps to hear your opinion. A bit thanks.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Please post some pictures when you are done. I'm sure we would all like to see them. Good Luck!
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    That's a lot of pattern! Hope you'll be happy but I'm afraid you've chosen something that you'll tire of quickly. Always err on the side of simplicity and save the bold patterns for small things that you can change out easily and inexpensively should your mood or styles change.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    When in doubt, I always look for other rooms that may share my aesthetics. There are a couple of white kitchens with patterned floors on this web page.
    http://www.pinterest.com/cesolon3/patterned-floors/
    Carol O’Sullivan thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • emerald18
    10 years ago
    Hi, one of the pictures you pointed me to is the closest I have seen to what I have in my mind. It is this one http://www.pinterest.com/pin/3096293463605137/
    Thank you very much.
    Needless to say, I am still a bit unsure - part of me says go for it and part of me says "just think a little bit more about it".
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi................I know it's a very difficult decision. I'm usually pretty decisive with clients, but in my own house, I have too much time to think and waffle back and forth. Your kitchen right now is so simple and clean that I think you can't really make a mistake. The darker floor tiles would be more classic, but your colorful tile would be more eclectic, bohemian. It also seems a little more European to me. Take a clue from the rest of your house, maybe even your wardrobe. What style do you like there?
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    OK, you'll see nothing but the floor if you go with one of those wild patterns. Your kitchen is so nice and you've done such a fantastic job don't mess it up now : D

Maybe the reason you're hesitating is because you have serious doubts. Listen to what your gut is telling you.
  • m3459
    10 years ago
    Good suggestions from Madden, Slick...

emerald18: It's your house, you will love whatever you end up with. I love the pinterest pic, by the way. And I see Ann Sacks is showing these types of floors, as well.
  • emerald18
    10 years ago
    Hi. It is really interesting to hear all your comments and suggestions - I wish I could have you all around for a cup of tea in the "kitchen" to discuss it.
    Madden, Slick.... I took a look in my wardrobe and noticed it full of colours. I always try to avoid black (my father once said to me that life is too short to wear black).
    Leelee I do hear what you are saying about the fact that by asking the question here, I must be having doubts and you are probably right but I also have a part of me that wants to go ahead with this. I keep saying to myself, how often will I get a chance like this again.
    The husband is collecting the parquet today and although we won't put it down until the weeekend, I am hoping that it will give me an idea of what the rest of the rooms will look like.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Emerald18..........it would be fun to sit around and talk about the kitchen. It's also easier when you can see things in person and see how they relate to others rooms. As I said earlier - I don't see how you can go wrong. I can see that you have a strong sense of style. Since there is no immediate rush to complete the floor, I think it's a great idea to bring in the flooring for the other rooms. If you can get some samples of what you are considering for the kitchen floor, it would also be a great idea to lay some of those down too. Good luck!
  • Carol O’Sullivan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi, we finally got the tiles down and i love them.
  • Carol O’Sullivan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We need now to put the surrounding tiles (already chosen and awaiting delivery) above the work surface and then we are finished the kitchen!!
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Lovely kitchen remodel! Your tile floor is fabulous. :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    catbos............you are so brave! It looks beautiful! Congratulations.
  • emerald18
    10 years ago
    and of course we need the window sill also!! (for some reason, I seem to have two login names: catbos and emerald18)
  • PRO
    Matt Patterson Custom Homes
    10 years ago
    What tiles are those? Where did you find them? I like!
  • emerald18
    10 years ago
    Hi Matt, the tiles are from a Spanish company called Vives - the ones we chose are called Palau Celeste (for the center) and 1900 Celeste and Valvanera for the outsides. I searched for ages and everytime I found ones I liked, they were way out of our budget - but then I came across these ones. THe site is vivesceramica.com.
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Perfect. Just perfect.
  • winnielouise
    10 years ago
    Hi catbox/emerald18 - your kitchen is absolutely stunning - I love it - mostly because your style is the same as mine - only the tiles I've chosen are Henley Cool from Topps Tiles (sage green/blue). I've also had a few moments of indecision but I've had a picture and sample of the tiles pinned up for months and I still love them. I'd chosen matt slab style kitchen door fronts but I might be convinced by your photo to change to Shaker. I am also going for the wood worktop but can't decide whether to have a Belfast sink or not. What sink did you choose? I also can't decide on a splashback, but like white painted brick + something more cleanable by the sink and hob. Once again, I love love love your kitchen - I'm pinning the photo of it up with my tiles picture in case I get future wobbles about my dream kitchen
  • emerald18
    10 years ago
    Hi winnielouise - I like your tiles also and I think they will look great. We went for just a normal stainless steel sink. My sister-in-law has a Belfast sink and the when you turn on the tap the water seems to have a long way to travel to get to the sink (well, perhaps it is the tap rather than the sink). Also, it takes time to fill if you just want to wash, say a frying pan, and finally, I am always nervous that I will chip cups or plates in it! But it does look good. I am so happy we went for the Oak worktop, it is really warm and hard wearing. We have chosen a blue splashback - I will post a photo as soon as we get it put up - my husband chose it as I was pulling my hair out trying to decide what colour we would go for. We now have to discuss the window sill - I would like wood but he prefers a marble-type material.
  • winnielouise
    10 years ago
    Thanks v. much, I'm glad you like my tile choice too. I might change my sink plans after your comments as I'm always chipping things! I'm looking forward to seeing your blue splashback when you have a photo. Our inherited window sills are old standard square white tiles but I'd like to change them for (maybe painted white) wood.
    Carol O’Sullivan thanked winnielouise
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    Great Kitchen! Love the choice of floor tiles and design.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.