jessa61

Finishing touches for living room

jessa61
4 years ago

Hi everyone, so i have had such helpful advice from everyone to get to this point. I think I'm nearly there with the lounge and really like how it's come together, I am just stuck on the finishing touches. Specifically a coffee table, potentially a console table over the footstool, maybe some cushions on the two metal frame chair (rectangular mongolian wool maybe?) and I'm thinking maybe the tv wall is a little blank although I don't want to visually clutter the space.

The coffee table is a major stumbling block mainly because (I don't know if this is particularly clear in the photos..) each piece has a different colour metal/material so I'm not sure what style to go for which would unite the space. The side tables are a very warm copper, I have tried to find a coffee table with the exact same colouring but the supplier said they didn't make anything unfortunately. It's also been tricky finding something large enough; although having said, looking at the photos, that I quite like the space so maybe something smaller would be better....

I'd appreciate your thoughts :)

Comments (46)

• Resh
    4 years ago

I think that you should consider something wooden for your coffee table, to soften the room and complement all the metal and different fabrics. You could even buy something and paint just either the legs or the top, so that some part of the piece ties into the rest of the decor.

jessa61 thanked Resh
  • PRO
    At No 19
    4 years ago

You’ve created a lovely restful room. My vote would be for a glass coffee table, probably a 120cm x 60cm, anything solid is likely to visually shrink the space. The one in the photograph below was from Greenapple. Love the idea of rectangular Mongolian cushions for your chairs, I probably wouldn’t clutter the TV wall, just wondering though if perhaps it’s mounted a little too high?

Boldre lounge makeover · More Info

jessa61 thanked At No 19
  • Related Discussions

Help with my living room

Q

Comments (791)
    I've been thinking of you,Fragle - I remember those sleepless nights when the babies first came home and everyone was sleep deprived but life-as -always still had to go on, esp for Mommy. So happy for you that you have a 'good' baby, I love the name too:-)
    ...See More

Need help picking finishing touches

Q

Comments (7)
    you know what? my house is not traditional, and yet, i somehow managed to buy an oriental rug for my living room (as you can see from my photo) i've seen so many wonderful oriental rugs, it took me a little while to choose. but my problem was, i was looking online. finally, i just went into a store with my husband, and we chose together. there are thinner ones and thicker. so depends what you want/need. i went for thicker. because these rugs have several different colors in them, i think you can choose from quite a selection and not be too worried. me personally, get nervous with too much light colors, as i have a dog. but the great thing with these rugs, you can barely see any dirt or marks (if any?) i think they have good choices and prices at boundary-mills and costco. i do understand also, about you not being sure cos of your patterned sofa. don't over think. i have seen soooo many pictures of people just going for it and mixing patterns. i know you can find some on houzz. i'll have a look, too. my living room even has some tartan in the curtains. one sofa is solid and the other two have stripes ha and i think it works with my rug. MAYBE, take a picture of your sofa. go to a shop with the rugs and put the photo against the rug and imagine. as for the 3 photos you showed, i like the creamer one and darker one.
    ...See More

Finishing touches for bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Mel, It's a bit hard to see the exact shade of your wall paper but I think Brushed Platinum (below) could work well with your colour scheme. Our roller blinds offer the unique function that means you can swap the fabrics easily by simply hooking off the old fabric and hooking on the new one. So you could choose a few different fabric options in different patterns and transparency and change them with your decor or the season. Your window would suit a BlocOut blind perfectly, a recess fit would work really well there to ensure you get an unmatched level of darkness as well as keeping out draughts. Find out more about the range BlocOut Roller Blinds here. Best of luck with your project, Kiera
    ...See More

Living room colors

Q

Comments (1)
    Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige.
    ...See More
  • Sam
    4 years ago

You’ve done a wonderful finish. I would add a rug to add texture to the room.

jessa61 thanked Sam
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone so much for your comments. Regarding the tv height, that's a real bug bear, it's far too high you're all right but the electricians put the plug too high in the wall so the tv is there to cover the plug. It isn't our main tv room so, to be honest, I'd rather it be high than show the plug.

Regarding the glass coffee table, I'm happy to go with whatever looks best but I just worry about adding another material or dont you think it matters? In that sense, I wasn't sure if wood may not be better but then i worry about it being too heavy?

• Jules Mc
    4 years ago

Lovely room. I think you should select a few of coffee tables you really like, rather than what you feel will 'go' and upload photos, to, see if some clever person can photo shop them for you.
    Regarding TV, I think it looks, a little lost on the wall and stands out for that purpose, not just being too high. See some inspiration pics below. Some, are probably a bit busy/ rustic for your style but might give you some idea of what I mean. Especially, like the one, with the, stools, given the two in your room are lovely, but look a little lost on that wall. Also like the one with the two chairs which means TV not focus of the room

jessa61 thanked Jules Mc
  • Jules Mc
    4 years ago

Pics

jessa61 thanked Jules Mc
  • Maths Wife
    4 years ago

Really love Jules first pic with the unit under the T.V and the two chairs either side.

Love the room in general, but not keen on the two chairs together at the end. The seating looks a little like it lines the walls even though it's not pushed against them, so i'd split the chairs up. Angle one toward the T.V and add the rug and coffee table.

jessa61 thanked Maths Wife
  • Carolina
    4 years ago

Oh, it does look really nice. It's coming together. Agree about the TV. Why do electricians do that? Grrr...

Anyway, I wonder how it would look if you put the two chairs opposite the sofa, under the TV. I think that height wise it would fit and maybe then it looks like you've deliberately chosen to put the TV at that height.

With a long narrow coffee table. Or two separate square ones. I'd go for glass, someting elegant.

jessa61 thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    4 years ago

I'm thinking something like this? No visual impact on the space and no doubts whether it'll work with the different metal finishes https://www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture/pdp/werkstadt-vilabila-coffee-table-werk1348.html

Also saw this one, which is cute (apart from the price), but legs are antique brass finish. I think it could work, but not sure.

https://www.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-350056589.aspx#shoppingtool=multipdp

jessa61 thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    4 years ago

Oh, forgot to say that I would then move the pink chair to where the chairs now are. Could be worth a try?

jessa61 thanked Carolina
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone so much for your suggestions. i can completely see what you are all saying regarding the layout being a little off, it;s an odd room in that it is so rectangular with a natural layout not being immediately clear - well at least not to me! When i am home later i will post photos of each of the layouts proposed.

Regarding the tv wall, i do agree with Jules it is all a bit bare and needs something. There used to be a fireplace there which made the room a lot better as it had a natural focal-point but unfortunately we had to remove the whole thing as we converted the loft. So with this gone, it has left a long box.

I do like the coffee table ideas everyone has kindly suggested (especially the last one by Carolina) but I suppose until the layout is right, i shouldn't by anything else as I won't know what size. If possible I would like to avoid glass purely because we have a glass staircase and glass gallery landing and the thought of cleaning more glass feels me with a little dread. Buuut if consensus is that glass would look best, I'm happy to go for it :)

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

Personally I'm not sure you need a coffee table. I would definitely buy a unit to stand under the T.V and possibly use both chairs either side to elongate what's on that side. Something like this under the T.V

I agree that the lovely blush chair should be at the end facing you as you walk in.

When all of that's moved and you put a rug down, you may not want a coffee table, after all, you have two end tables.

Maybe a footstool / Ottoman instead to sit on the rug?

• peggysue67
    4 years ago

I vote for a nice soft ottoman rather than a glass coffee table. You could put a copper tray on it for drinks and to link with the side tables. Can I ask how comfy the blush pink chair is as I’ve been thinking of buying one. It looks gorgeous but just not sure how practical it would be!

jessa61 thanked peggysue67
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi everyone, apologies if I've misunderstood but is this the layout you were referring to and then to have a rug and coffee table in the middle? I've angled them as well to see which is better. The ottoman and tray could work!

Peggysue, it's quite a firm so not at all squishy but it's not hard. I quite like it as I don't like sinking into furniture so it depends what you're looking for. I wouldn't say you could lounge in it but it's comfortable to sit in but a bit more like you'd sit on a dining chair.

• E D
    4 years ago

I vote angled.

Looking good!

• Jules Mc
    4 years ago

I really like the angled 2nd pic. Perhaps with just a slim console table under the TV if you don't need storage.

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Hi. The room is looking lovely.

Would you be able to try another slight rearrangement?? Move the sofa about a foot down towards the door and try the side table between the chairs on the end wall (Moving the chairs towards the window a bit). I don't think the art is helping being positioned on the centre of the wall rather than to the chairs so have tried moving it.

maybe then a slim console (so it doesn't overlap the chairs) under the tv although I do think the tv needs to move down. It may be better to pay for the electrician to come back? The stools may work under the console. I think a cocktail trolley could work the other end of the room, would work with the style (ignore actual one pictured)

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

I am trying to like the grey armchairs, but they are quite deep and in my opinion over power the room.

It still looks like a posh waiting room with all the seating facing each other........harsh, but i'm not sure how to put it any other way.

I'd remove the armchairs completely. Push the blush chair further back towards the wall, probably push the sofa further that way also, so that it's more in line with the window.

Add the rug and the chest.

If there's spare room towards the door, then add another small table and use the armchairs at that end.

I think that trying to group all the furniture in the middle is what's causing the problem.

• Patrina
    4 years ago

I agree with ED about the TV height I also love Jules Mc's second photo. I think the area below the TV is too bare.

• peggysue67
    4 years ago

Thanks for the info on the pink chair! I prefer your original layout as think the chairs under the TV make it look a bit cramped. Stay as is. Add a tall floor lamp in far left corner and get an ottoman to run in front of sofa. The TV does need to move down or if not put a side table or console table beneath to ground it as it looks like it’s floating. Swoon do some lovely pieces that I think would fit your style. Also a couple of rectangular cushions on your 2 chairs would be good and I would choose a colour to tie in with the ottoman.

• jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your opinions and suggestions :) Maths wife, it's not harsh, i can see see what you're saying as, in hindsight, i probably should have gone for less deep chairs. Although oddly they don't look as big in real life than they do in the photo, funnily enough the pink chair is actually quite a bit wider (although not as deep as the two chairs). Unfortunately i can't change them, i'm hoping i can make them work somehow :)

ED, when i first did the photos, i much preferred the angled chairs and did think woohoo cracked it! Although the more I look at it the more I'm thinking maybe i am better off with my originally layout as i think the angled photo would still need some sort of table somewhere and that might, like peggysue suggested all be a bit cramped.

Do you think that the problem with my original layout is i don't have enough stuff? so if i added cushions, ottoman, console table it would make things better or would that just exacerbate the problem as the layout is inherently wrong? I do totally agree with everyone that it is very waiting-room-esque at the moment which is why i'm hoping if i add more things that will help...

Regarding the tv, i will move it down as you're definitely all right, i just can't really do it at the moment :)

Minnie, thank you for your suggestion, i will try that now and post the result.

Peggysue, thank you for your suggestions, i will take a look at swoon now :)

• jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Minnie is this what you meant?

So whilst i was moving things around i tried the original layout but with the stools under the tv, what do you think? Any better? Would a floor lamp in the corner next to the right picture/behind the right chair help? Maybe a wooden floating shelf under the tv to tie in the legs of the sofa like Jules's photos?

• E D
    4 years ago

Not bad, but atm it looks a little formal, almost corporate. It lacks something. Yes maybe a floor lamp and something under the TV.

And maybe something that’s ‘you’.

jessa61 thanked E D
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

Hi Jess. That was what I meant. I think you can probably move them another few inches to the left before they overlap the sofa arm though? What do you think of it? If not, then personally leave them on the back wall, they stick out too much under the tv imo. Another option would be just having one chair angled in that top right right corner and have another on the opposite wall in front of a bookcase/shelving unit?

The waiting room look is only because you've just got furniture around the edges, it will be gorgeous once finished :) is the side table the west Elm brass one btw?

jessa61 thanked minnie101
  • Carolina
    4 years ago

Agree about the chairs under the TV looking a bit cramped. I love the furniture combinations so far and wouldn't add wood myself. You'll lose the elegance then. Unless it's a walnut or dark wood.

Love the last layout with the table in between. You could try and angle the chairs a bit towards each other if you move them more towards the window.

Prindle Road · More Info

jessa61 thanked Carolina
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much everyone, i really do appreciate all your help x

Minnie, I do like it! I still like the symmetry with the sofa but i also like with something between the chairs. Maybe i could have a look for a something smaller so could fit both the two side tables and the two either side of the sofa. No but they do look like the west elm ones (the 2 chairs are west elm) but the side tables are from atkin and thyme. They do a matching coffee table but i was worried it was too small for the space: https://www.atkinandthyme.co.uk/furniture/tables/coffee-tables/castello-coffee-table.html I do like it though. I did also like this one: https://www.atkinandthyme.co.uk/furniture/tables/coffee-tables/steller-coffee-table-white.html with the matching console table but was worried about adding another different metal.

ooo good idea carolina, i'll try that now, that might help with the sharp lines. Interesting thought about the wood, i definitely don't want to lose the elegance. mate instead i should be looking at adding texture with throw or something. i do think the stools under the tv help

ED, i think you're right, we haven't long moved it so everything is new so we haven't really cultivated any personal accessories yet, we've been concentrating on the big pieces. I washing of adding some personal things on a coffee table, but finding the right one has been tricky.

Regarding the floor lamp, there's an interior shop where i live in which they will cover lamp shades in any fabric you like so i'm thinking of getting a lamp base and then have a pretty fabric shade.

• peggysue67
    4 years ago

I like the marble rectangular coffee table. Think that would work well. I wouldn’t worry about mixing metals as there are several
    in the room already. With a floor lamp in the corner and the cushions it will look great. Think I would leave the TV as is until you can get the electrician back to lower it. I think a coffee table and console table together may be too much in the room.

jessa61 thanked peggysue67
  • Maths Wife
    4 years ago

I really like Minnie's set up with the chairs split at the end and the side table in the middle.

I think that by the time you add in something of height under the T.V, and a rug the whole room will start to look a lot more welcoming.

Yes you're right Jessa61, I think it's off because there's not enough in it.

Putting anything tall'ish under the T.V will help to make sense to the eye of the height of it.

Beautiful furniture btw.

• Carolina
    4 years ago

Don't think you need to move the art if you place a floor lamp in the corner:

jessa61 thanked Carolina
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So as per Minnie's suggestion, i have moved the side table between the two chairs and have put the flowers on - i think it is looking much better. I was thinking of getting another of the same side table to put the other end of the chesterfield purely for symmetry - what do you think?

Do you think i still need a lamp? Also do you think i should have another pair of cushions on the chesterfield? I'm currently searching for rectangular mongolian wool cushions for the 2 chairs but i can only find grey but i thought a more taupe colour would be better - unless you think grey could work?

Peggysue i'm glad you like it, they have 15% off today so i think i may go for it, ii'm still worried it's too small (depth wise) as it's only 60cm deep (120cm in length) so i'm worried it won't feel the space enough. To give a sense of perspective, the side table diameter is 50cm.

Hmm looking at the photo below, maybe the base is too much - i keep going back and forth, i do love the marble though. I don't know. Now the side table has been moved, i'm not sure glass would work i'm thinking it either needs a marble top or, as per your suggestion, an ottoman with a tray.

• E D
    4 years ago

Decisions, decisions...

:-)

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

Last attempt............using Minnie's ideas with the two armchairs at the end, but pushed back and splayed out so less formal. Artwork at end moved apart a little.

Blush chair bottom left.

Sideboard and rug

Rug in Heather from John Lewis

Sideboard from Atkin & Thyme

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Oh no lol, I've got to follow on from Mrs Maths photoshop skills!! I like that idea, here was mine... The table is 110 (comes in different finishes) which I think works with the dimensions if my maths is correct. I think you can get away without something below the tv (or just add a slim shelf) and just add a ginger jar, plant etc on the floor between the pink chair and tv. I thought it might be nice to add jewel tones to the pink and lilac. The plant would be lower than the floor lamp btw just didn't have time to adjust it.

I don't think the matching coffee table is big enough and a rectangular one doesn't work as well with a table between the frame chairs (sorry to cause a problem!)

• Carolina
    4 years ago

The narrow rectangular one was a suggestion for if the chairs would go opposite the sofa. But since they didn't really work there...

I would not add another one of the same side tables. I like Minnie's suggestion for a coffee table.

jessa61 thanked Carolina
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. Maths wife, I'm not keen on that layout so sorry x I just feel like the tv is too much of a focus. Love the sideboard though!

Minnie that coffee table is great! where is it from? You're right it's not big enough, it's not much bigger than the side tables unfortunately. Jewel tones are interesting and never something i would have thought of so thank you for opening my eyes to other combinations

• minnie101
    4 years ago

HI Jess. It was a liang & Emil one on offer at furnish c£900. I know it's dear but you wouldn't need more side tables (in my defence!) I also found this the other day but didn't have time to post at the time and have now forgotten where it was from..

i will try and have a look later to see if I can find it again

• Carolina
    4 years ago

Here's a version with a walnut top coffee table (Westelm). With and without a fluffy rug (LaRedoute). Think I've made the rug a bit bigger in the pic than it's 135 x 190 size. Oh well...

jessa61 thanked Carolina
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Minnie Ouch but it's oh so lovely! Carolina, love love the fluffy rug! I like the coffee table but worry it's too small as the chesterfield is 230cm long...

• E D
    4 years ago

I’m all for informal layouts but won’t putting these coffee tables in an angle cause bruised toes and shins? :)

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

I think as the T.V is a contentious issue and that you don't want it to be a focus, and, given that you have T.V room elsewhere, i'd remove it.

The chairs as they were originally positioned made it look a little like a waiting room or focus group chat room. Therefore, you need to angle the chairs and make them face something, a fireplace, whatever.

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

I totally agree with Maths Wife. It's a lovely room, but when I look at the pictures I see the TV first. When you are not watching it, it might feel a bit strange facing a wall with just a black glass rectangle there. Solid black next to anything pale creates such a strong contrast that it dominates visually, this is why people sometimes paint a TV wall a dark colour, it then recedes. Another ploy is to make the TV part of a gallery wall so that there are other things to relate it to. I like the image above showing a long wide unit with a lamp, mirror etc. Compare the above images with the TV with the last one without and you can see how black dominates.

jessa61 thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Carolina
    4 years ago

Ooo, what do you think about 2 of these under the TV: https://www.choicefurnituresuperstore.co.uk/Baumhaus-The-Nine-Schools-Qing-Chinese-Oyster-Grey-Medium-Sideboard-p80281.html

A rectangular coffee table would then work nicely, I think.

jessa61 thanked Carolina
  • jessa61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It definitely looks better without the tv and you're right we could remove it as we do have another room for tv viewing. I suppose we left it because we had the tv anyway so seemed a shame to waste it. It does completely dominate. I'm not sure a gallery wall would work in this rooms maybe i am best to remove it. Carolina, thank you for your links so sorry i don't like either x The side board shape is lovely though.

• Carolina
    4 years ago

Okay :-) No problem.

jessa61 thanked Carolina
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.