sonia_gonzalez868

Transom windows decisions! Please help!

Sonia Gonzalez
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, I'm helping my dad with a new home build! We are having a hard time deciding on the look and feel of the windows.

In the floor plan below, we will have transom windows above all of the windows in the open kitching/living areas (except the dining area).

1. Will it look awful if we don't put transom windows above the 3 windows in the dining area since the nook/kitchen areas will have transom windows?

2. The windows highlighted by red arrow - can't decide if:

a. the transom windows should be 15" wide or 12" wide (this goes for the rest of the transom windows as well). I've included some comparisons.

b. if the transom windows above should have grid lines to match the frame of the windows below (the windows highlighted by the red arrows are 72" wide). I've included some examples.

c. I've attached mockups of how the windows could look.

d. I've attached some mock ups of transom windows found on Houzz.

3. Does anyone happen to know what the dimensions could be of the narrower transom windows versus the wider ones in the 2cnd to the last picture? Thank you!

Please, any feedback would be appreciated! Also, if anyone knows of good software to help me mock up a wall of windows, please let me know. I'd use a consultant, but I need to decide by tomorrow! THANK YOU!

transom window B with no gridline

Transom window A with no gridline

Transom window B with a gridline (I added it via Paintbrush).

Transom windows A with gridlines (added via Paintbrush).

Wider transom windows (above pic ^) Versus narrower transoms in the previous pics.

Comments (8)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.