michelleg2k

Help with colours

michelleg2k
9 years ago
Help with choosing scatter cushions and blinds to go with sunroom. I want to give the sunroom a pop of colour and also bring in some neutral Roman blinds. I am not mad about the brown leather on sofa but don't want to change it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (53)

• Darzy
    9 years ago
    I love this rug for your space. I'd go with window shades the color of your wall so you don't have a row of vertical stripes above the sectional.
    Transitional Animal Print Pattern Blue Wool/Silk Tufted Rug - CH01, 8x11 · More Info
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    okay, the setting in the ref pic is formal but the pillow selection would look nice in yr sunroom
    Shabby-chic Style Dining Room · More Info
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I'd leave the sofa cushions neutral and just add a throw with one of your colors. Select the rug first, then that will determine other design ideas...
  • PRO
    Dawson & Clinton
    9 years ago
    I'd use the blue and yellows from the wall art in accent pieces. A large single colored rug could do the trick, possibly circular to provide a bit of a contrast to the hard lines in the sofa, tile and other elements.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Don't forget a fun round coffee table;)
    Natural Split Rattan Coffee Table · More Info
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. It has certainly given me a lot to choose from. X
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    Bring in all colors in the art piece for your pillows
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Please lower the art, and use those colors as suggested.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    i think curtains here would look better than roman blinds. try handing the rod as high as u can and fill walls with curtains
    as for the colors i like those on the painting (yellow and greenish)
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What about this guys?
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is another. Fabric closest to window would be the romans or curtains
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Margo ....where did that great leopard rug come from?...WOW...
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Michele ...it is obvious you have good taste and an elegant flair...but color seems to be a challenge for you...lots of people are like this and end up wanting a bit of color but are unable to find a color theme they are comfortable with...usually I suggest starting with your favorite color if you have one that is not a neutral...also a search in Houzz photos to see tons of colorful rooms will lead you to a theme that you are drawn to ...you can also draw from nature...( the views from your windows) green...from trees....blue...from skies....golden from a sunny day...all of these will look right and expand your space to include the outdoors...but really it has to come from you or you will resist it...
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    The only indicator we have is the art and it suggests very bright colors...but maybe solids...not prints will be easier to incorporate the bright colors in the pillows...less busy but definitely mood elevating
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi guys! I Actually am still working on this room which is off my kitchen. I made some changes but now am in the middle of looking for a paint colour for the walls. I have also ordered a bib deep buttoned footstool the same fabric as the blueish cushions.

• michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have already painted a sample either side of the painting if you can see. It's strong white by Farrow and ball but it's a little cold. Maybe one shade warmer

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    The changes you have made are great...definitely seem more reflective of your taste...and a perfect complement with where you are going with the kitchen...but the most exciting change to me is the the little infusion of light blue...love that choice
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh thank you! I am now not sure if should play it safe with lighter colours or go a bit darker with wall colour. There is also a footstool in the same fabric as cushions going in next week.

• michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    If one of those colors is close to the blue pillows I would definitely go darker....the little peek of the drapes look very cool , this color theme would carry over nicely to the kitchen as well..very nice mix of neutrals with the bluish accents
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes there are 3 that are near the colour in the cushions.

One is on a card at the bottom which is hard to make out. Another is the one up from that. It has a greenish/blue but still goes and the other is the one which is painted more on the wall. It's slightly lighter than the cushion. They all need a second coat so I might pop another picture up later or tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    All that being said all those colors may just be gray on site...in the pics the blue is evident...go figure..
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You are totally right! I am having a very hard time in choosing a colour. I have bought so many samples and am seeing blue/green everywhere I go. The colour cards in the shop look nothing like the actual colours when painted on the wall. Yes I know what you mean by the light. I love how it looks a different colour at different times of the day. I guess going with something that is the colour of cushion might be best and not to be afraid of it being a little dark. Below is a picture of the cushion and some samples I bought. Believe it of not the F&B colour which looks quite bright compared to the cushion is actually very close in colour when painted on the wall.

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    You are on the right track...you got this..
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Not every one appreciates the importance of color...we are kindred spirits on this ...it is so worth it to get it right...no matter how frustrating...
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Finally! Someone who agrees. I have bought so many samples that my husband is now saying I can just paint the sunroom with the samples and be done but he doesn't understand. As you said it's worth getting it right. One of the above colours will work but it's just about deciding which one. I'm back in the paint shop today to grab one more sample from that colour card and then I think I will make a decision over the weekend. I will pop one more picture up of new sample over the weekend before I put up the finished room. Painter is coming next week and footstool the week after. Exciting times

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    The pleasure of getting color right doesn't always occur to most people ...but everyone is aware of the rightness when they enter the room...Another thing to do in testing your samples is to paint one swatch on a wall opposite the Windows..and another on wall with the Windows...this will give a clear idea of color in direct and indirect light...
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good idea! I also painted the two I narrowed it down to. Ok three . On paint cards on two cards each with two coats to stick them up together in different parts of the room so that might help. Here is two already either side of the photo at different times of the day.

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    I like the one in the middle as the color seems more distinctive ...the one on the left ..a close second as it has some life as well...the dark one does seem to match the pillow,too...but does not capture the spirit of the color and looks a little drab...
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The one on the left is designer grey. The one in the middle is Terrazzo. A shade up from it. The other is Cromarty by F&B. It's nice in the flesh but could be more green than blue.

• michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok final decision guys. Can't buy anymore samples. I'm driving myself MAD.

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Made any decisions yet?... I still like the middle one... Just a little stretch from the understated neutrals
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok! So I'm thinking this. I'm not brave enough to go for the darker one (green) and I do like the one in the middle too. As the one in the middle and the lighter one are both colourtrend and one is a shade up. Colourtrend said they can get something that's right in the middle that might work the best. That's the good thing about colourtrend. They can play with pigments. What to you think?

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    I like the middle one ...don't think it needs to be tweaked...the colors are so close they will be perfect together
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Are you painting the ceiling?...this would be a great spot for the lighter one on the left
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Also keep in mind the light has a big influence on the color in this room..it will be many colors during the day...
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Suppose I could paint the ceiling. Yes the colours look totally different in different parts of the room depending on the light.

• michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I got a sample of the colour in between. Not much in the difference to be honest. It's the one on far right

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    What is it you are trying for?
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not as dark as the darkest bottom one and something in between like the new sample on the right.

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    In the new pic the swatch top right seems to match the pillows perfectly..
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes it's a mix. A colour right in the middle between Designer grey and Terrazzo. I think we might have a winner???

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    I agree
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the help! X

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Of course...hope to see a pic when painter is done and room is finished...
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey there! So room was painted and back to the drawing board. It didn't turn out the way I thought. I am going for fabric a similar but darker colour in the blue/green cushions so I'm afraid the colour takes over the room. Back to the drawing board. Think I need a soft/warm grey instead in order to make the cushions and footstool pop. It actually looks better in the pictures than in the flesh. I think the cushions are lost and so will the footstool when it goes in

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    May want to give it a chance to grow on you..any change from our comfort zone takes time to overcome the new direction..I am going thru this with my recently painted aqua master bath...we just had the first dreary weather as winter is kicking in and I was thrilled with the mood the aqua created.. give it a chance...
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    In the pics the color looks dreamy and the color of the window treatments ties in the taupe in the kitchen with the sunroom ...as well...hope you can figure this out as I totally relate to how important color is and most importantly how it makes you feel
  • michelleg2k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks a mil! That's the thing about new colour. It does take some getting used to. However I had my babies room, a spare room and the inside of my front door painted at the same time last week and love all of the colours chosen but this one I just can't look at. It turned out to be more of a minty green than the colour samples on the wall. One of the fabrics below are being make up in a footstool and I think it may be overkill with too much colour. I wanted the coushions and footstool to pop as those are the things you spend the most amount of money on rather than the paint. In saying that. The cost of the paint was expensive and also paying someone to do it. Now to do it all over again is not ideal.:(.

i took the cushions and fabric into one of my other rooms to see what it looked like against a more neutral background and felt it looked a little better. See pics below. Any other paint suggestions are much appreciated.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.