crinell

Help! I have a volcano in my living room.

crinell
10 years ago
My husband and I bought a 70's house a few months ago and are in the process of remodeling the entire home. The only original "character" left in the house now is the massive volcanic rock fireplace. The fireplace is so sturdy and well built, but the rock is over powering. The room is 19'x26' and the ceiling goes from 8' to 12'. What should I do with the fireplace?

Comments (44)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Do you like it at all? Do you want to keep it? I would either get rid of it or work with it. Perhaps have shelving on the sides that incorporate some of the color in the rock. As well as painting the walls a color to more closely coordinate with the color of the fireplace.
    Actually I looked at your pictures and I'm confused. Do you have windows to the side of the fireplace now or not?
  • PRO
    Monpere Decor
    10 years ago
    Anytime something is differentiated by a pronounced contrast, it will become much more overbearing.The fireplace becomes even more overpowering because of the contrast between the color of the stone and the whiteness in the rest of the room. If you paint the walls in a color that match the fireplace, it would do wonders to make it blend. Although this would be the cheapest and fastest solution, there will still exist the contrast created by the contradiction of an organic stone fireplace and the flat surfaces in the rest of the space. To blend the 'natural' look of the stone, you have to add more 'natural' or earthy elements such as a wooden floor or wooden accent pieces. Although a more lengthy and difficult process, creating an organic/earthy ambiance, will not only create a synthesis with the fireplace, but will create a wonderful effect, specially when the fire is on.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with my living room

Q

Comments (19)
    That wall paper doesn't go at all.. and you don't need wallpapers.. how about a cream shade on the fireplace part of wall with oxblood coloured (from your curtain flowers) horizontal band below mantel, while the rest of the walls be lilac? Ever considered stoenwork similar to your fireplace on that wall? Also lower the hung photographs.. should be at least four inches below the windows' top edge.. Your sofas are quite dark. they seem aubergine.. is there any way you can at least place one of the sofas across from a window so that light falls on it? right now it is in the shadows backed against the windows, therefore more dark (does it seem so when you're in the room too?) The mirror (though nice) is too solid and thick for the mantel. can it go on a clearer stretch of some wall? fourth wall? What is the fourth wall like? idk how the fourth wall is like but how about angling large sofa at 90 degrees to the window with the single seater also angled in the corner where the lamp is.. and place the side table with lamp infront of the window (i-e at the corner of the 'L' made by t he sofas).. If possible get lighter lamp shades (cream).. Love the cushions.. place two of these cushions on the single seater to relieve the large sofa.. Please turn the rug lengthwise along the length of the sofa.. get a glass/metal table (if tots allow) or cream ottomon as center table.. The TV is too large for the rack, no? The vase is being wasted under the tv.. Florals and stripes can be mixed depending on print.. but if you bring anymore florals in this room, it would be best to match the flower shape to those in the curtains. I find the curtains too short...
    ...See More

Need help for my living room colour scheme!

Q

Comments (9)
    Is the chandelier thing seeming a bit small for the room or is it just me? Given that your walls are plain, the sofa is plain how about a patterned rug? Do you like Persian rugs? I find that dark green wainscotting too heavy and would paint it a lighter color. Given you have just moved in I assume you are planning to be there a while. If you like traditional style do you want a fairly safe color scheme re walls and curtains, keeping future resale in mind. Or are u happy to decorate according to your tastes? The mirror seems a bit small to me.
    ...See More

Help with my living room

Q

Comments (49)
    I think it is a matter of who likes apples and who likes oranges. I am in Margo's corner on this one....but it is JM humble O. The purple tones of the grass mat wall paper nice, more modern, the gray tones, a little more traditional. So either will achieve a nice look, it's a matter of taste.
    ...See More

I need help with paint colour for my living room and kitchen walls

Q

Comments (15)
    We just painted a color called "Latte" over the dark red walls in our place and we keep thinking that someone left the light on! It adds that much light to the place as the red was just sucking out any light in the place. Find a color you like more for that wall and repaint...and/or maybe add a ceramic tile backsplash? It will make it feel brighter in there immediately as you will get a lot of light reflection. I love the idea of sage green with your cabinets.
    ...See More
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I should have said gray from grout.
  • crinell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My dilemma is whether to work with it or replace the rock, but then I have to justify spending more money. If I decide to keep the fireplace rock, I like your idea to paint the walls to coordinate with fireplace color. The window on the right side of the fireplace is new. My husband loves the view from it.
  • tennischik
    10 years ago
    Actually I don't hate the fireplace either. I posted a similar post and was surprised that most responders loved the stone. I would add custom built in cabinetry on each side to off set the huge fireplace (or do it yourself with IKEA Billy bookcases. I would do them in white with a grey background. White would give it an Aspen/coastal calming feel. Good Luck!
  • crinell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Monpere Decor... I do plan on installing a wood floor and after reading your comments, I'm thinking it should be a wire brushed floor to go with the rough texture of the rock. Sound good? Thanks for your comments. Now I am warming up to keeping the fireplace the way it is.
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    I agree, removing all of that rock would be a massive undertaking, and expensive. Until you know what you really want to do, I agree, painting the flanking walls with a deep saturated color will cause the scale of the large rocks to diminish visually. Consider a lighter complimentary color for the other three walls (but not too light a color or the fireplace wall will leap back out, as it is now). Good Luck.
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    If you decide you love your rock fireplace, consider accenting the center beam with ribs (they make faux beams that are fantastic!), and painting the ceiling in light, soft, warm color that compliments the flanking walls and three other walls). You'll get a wonderful, cozy, rustic woodsy feel to your room. I like the bookcase built-in idea, but at this juncture, only if you plan to keep the rock fireplace for now.
  • Jordan
    10 years ago
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the huge stone fireplace! Beautiful! And, good judgement on putting in the new window. I would add a wooden mantel to match the wood beam on the ceiling and change out the fireplace screen. I would suggest a tri-fold, freestanding decorative screen accoridng to your style.
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    Oops! I didn't mean "now" at the end of my last sentence above! Also, on the color for the flanking walls, I'd suggest a deep saturated brown that has a grey base--not an orange base. If you go with an orange based brown the orange in the rocks will take over. Using a chocolate will make the fewer rocks that are more orange simply accent the overall appearance.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    On floors I like and use a lot a reclaimed wood look. Color vary but are usually some gray. Which would tie in with rock and wall color. Make sure you get paint samples to try on wall space before buying. Love the window, I'm sure it lights up the room. Also get samples of wood to try in yr space.
  • Sharon Bunker
    10 years ago
    I love this fireplace. Paint the walls a darker color to match some of the stones and use Mean Green to remove the soot stains.
  • crinell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, all these responses are so wonderful. Thank you. I've decided to keep the rock! Now to add a mantel and check into faux beams for the ceiling. I'm in CA. I've heard of Volterra in AZ, but wondering if there is a place in CA that manufactures faux wood beams. Are there any suggestions on which nice soft, warm paint color to use?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Here's a paint color that goes well with stone, BM HC 111 Nantucket gray, I've used it on my stone house and it looks wonderful
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    More
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    A few more
  • getting1
    10 years ago
    Can you put a mantel above the firebox? A thick rustic one would look nice. Did you keep the rustic wood beam on the ceiling or was it painted? If not, I'd match the wood for a mantel.

A shelf on the right side won't work because of the window. I like the idea of adding more natural light. I bet you noticed how the fireplace lightened up because of the window. I can see the difference in the before and after photos. I also like your idea of putting in a light above the window for nighttime use.

I don't know about a wire brushed wood floor - I'm thinking of the upkeep and are you in a suburban setting or a country setting? I live in between the two and I know how dirt gets tracked in. Maybe instead of the texture on the floors, perhaps a slight texture on the walls. There are paints that can do this.

What's on the left side now - is there a space where a bookcase would work, or are you planning on another window to put in there? A linen shade, verticals or other natural fabric drapes or wood blinds on the window would like great but only if needed. Some people are lucky enough not to need window coverings.
  • getting1
    10 years ago
    You might want to try a hand held steam cleaner for the soot stains. Put down a thick layer of newspapers first. This way, the soap residue won't attract future staining as much. I've found this works great.
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    I don't trust how color comes across the internet. I like the color of your kitchen cabinets, and think I would begin with paint swatches in that shade of chocolate, and move ut of saturation into the grey-based warm brown, perhaps warm taupes, but taupe can go too grey and can be yellow-based and green-based. I prefer green based greys, but I think too much color might make the orange in the rocks pop too much, which is why I'd steer you in the direction of shades of browns. Do an internet search for faux beam distributors, and make some phone calls for free consultations where you can see samples. Have Fun!
  • crisanderson
    10 years ago
    Around the fireplace add shelves and cabinetry it will pull those walls forward into the room. The windowed alcove would be perfect for a reading nook. Add lots of bright pillows on either side and sitting cushions. Tone the walls down with a warm moderately deep shade - gray brown or go towards terracotta for some fun. Yes, on wood floors! Wide board medium tone but don't do rough - you will regret it. Think the space as sophisticated cabin. Good luck
  • crinell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the advice on the wood floors. I am in a country setting and the grooves in the wire brushed wood were a concern because they would trap dirt, so I will go smooth on the wood and add texture elsewhere. I am so glad that I finally posted this on houzz.com. All the comments are appreciated and it's helping me make decisions so I can keep my project movin'! Love the color suggestions! Thanks.
  • crinell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What a great color (BM HC 111 Nantucket gray) "mforr". I'm going to get a small can of it and try it out. Thanks!
    All your pictures were really helpful.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Happy to help, good luck, hope you love it as much as I do :)
  • jillandbob
    10 years ago
    I have an entire exposed stone wall in my cottage. It was extremely overpowering so I painted it with the same paint colour as the other plain walls, a soft matt white. I love it now.
  • Vivian
    10 years ago
    I think you will be amazed what a deep cleaning will do. Then poly (try in a inconspicuous spot) with a high gloss to make the natural colors pop like granite. It will help reflect light. And definitely paint and floating shelves to match the mantle.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I like getting1's suggestion above regarding steam cleaning. I'll bet the grout and stone will both come out a totally different color. Would advise doing this first and then deciding on paint color, etc.
  • Madeline
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous fireplace and that was a super smart move to install the large window next to it. Please do not even consider anything to do with getting rid of it! FYI I checked "faux wood beams" in the FIND LOCAL PROS (Using my old zip code) here on houzz. and there was a company listed called Raul's Finishing & Faux Finishing (a faux painter in L.A.) that might do them in addition to their advertised work of faux painting; and another company listed and located in Rocklin Ca. (California Architectural Traditions) I don't recall now their zip code so I can't say where exactly they're located. I'm certain there are other companies throughout the great Golden State and wow, I envy you your task! Good luck and have fun.
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    If heat isnt an issue a nice art piece can cover some of the stones for less business.
  • catalina2013
    10 years ago
    It's quite overbearing but if the ledge was a flat stonework it would give a different dimension to the room. A flat stone just in front of the fireplace with bookcases/shelves on each side of the rock fireplace would "clean it up" so it's not so rocky. I think the beauty of the rock will come through on the fireplace with the rock gone from across the bottom
  • paintsheets
    10 years ago
    Drywall the whole fireplace and use wood to cover the hearth. It is the cheapest thing to do and will give the whole room a fresh new look without pounding out all that stone.
  • PRO
    LaDuke Construction LLC
    10 years ago
    Have you thought about adding a wood ceiling and possibility adding two more beams at each end of the fireplace? I would also add a large mantel and remove the picture. Just some thoughts.
  • Anne Arjani
    10 years ago
    What is old is now new......To soften the look how about some cushions under the window seat?
  • PRO
    RL Morton & Associates, PC
    10 years ago
    One thing I always do with stone is to light it - place (2) down lights (preferably low voltage) approx. 6" from the face of the stone - the light will graze the stone and bring out character and interest you never new you had.
  • Amor Wanda Campbell
    10 years ago
    I strongly agree with tennischik, adding custom built in cabinetry in both side will be very good idea. Also consider adding two beams in both side to take away the church like feeling living room and install one big gigantic chandelier..
  • housemamma
    10 years ago
    I have to agree with others and say that I love the fireplace and the window addition is wonderful. I believe the ceiling beam is the only out of place item and I would paint it the same color as the ceiling. I would not put up a painting but since you are in a country setting I would decorate with seasonal items such as vintage boat oars, snow shoes, skis, maybe an old or reproduction sign that has meaning. My husband is a pilot and we have an antique propeller hanging on our rock fireplace.
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    Your natural stone fireplace is gorgeous. Steam cleaning is a good idea. You can also use a wirebrush to clean and brighten the stone. Keep the stone in its natural flat finish; no gloss. Since the fireplace is centered below the peaked ceiling, windows would be great on both sides. If you are adding a window only on one side, you could add wood shelves on the opposite or hang a large piece of art. Adding additional ceiling beams will help tie the fireplace into the rest of the room. A mantle is optional. If you do add a mantle and shelving, go with dark wood to coordinate with the ceiling beam(s), as well as your beautiful kitchen cabinets. You could add a neutral color wreath to break up the stone, with or without a mantle. Before choosing a wall paint color, consider your furnishings. A beige/taupe might look better than gray since the overall tone of the stones is a warm golden brown. If you are planning to use the same wood flooring in this room and in the kitchen, a lighter wood would add contrast. When you get to the decorating stage, arrange your furniture on opposite sides of the fireplace facing each other, with a coffee table in the middle. Make the fireplace the focal point of the room and enjoy its natural beauty. Out of curiosity, is the same stone used on the exterior of your house?
  • crinell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There is no stone on the outside. We plan to add stone pathways and patios and may add some to the exterior walls as well. I'm glad you mentioned to consider my furnishings when choosing paint colors because it's easy to get caught up in the house itself and forget about the other things I will bring into the house. Lots to think about!
  • goldenwiley
    10 years ago
    I had a stone fireplace similar to yours in a previous house. That house had a wooden tongue and groove ceiling in a walnut color. I disliked the fireplace and the ceiling but soon got used to both. I think when you get your furniture in it will seem less like the "elephant in the room". I agree that painting the walls taupe or another shade from the fireplace will help it blend in better.
  • crinell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It sounds like your home had a very nice 70's style! I guess mine will have a substantial reminder of the time in which it was built and I think you are right "goldenwiley"; I will adjust and hopefully make the most of it. Thanks for your comment.
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    Search on the Houzz website for "rock fireplace" and you will find a variety of ideas to make the fireplace fit any decor from rustic, to contemporary, to traditional.
  • tkjs68
    10 years ago
    Love the fireplace. I' m envious! Its authentic. Beautiful stone, nothing fake or insignificant here. Needs natural wood mantle, a few simple treasures on it, art above, bookcase to the left and feature vase/pots under window.
  • PRO
    The Victorian Fireplace
    10 years ago
    just adding a full mantel would do wonders for that wall-like this perhaps
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.