kim_craig28

Kitchen sink under window or in island?

Kim Craig
6 years ago

We are gutting our kitchen taking down walls and adding an island. Our current kitchen is a galley kitchen with 36" cabinet and counter top on the left then sink and window, then dishwasher and 24" cabinet to the right and then kitchen stove, 9" spice cabinet.

We are turning the kitchen into an L shape with an island where the fridge use to be that will be where our island is facing our dinning room, family room and entry. I feel like if I put the sink in the island I will be more involved. if I leave it where it currently is then my back will again be towards everyone. BUT I want it to look right too... dilemma, dilemma... please help

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Design Details
    6 years ago

I can't quite picture your layout without a drawing but I will tell you that the "cooking show kitchen", as I call it is most successful if your prep area faces the audience. It's nice to have a prep sink at hand but a kitchen towel and a scrap bowl will suffice.

Kim Craig thanked Design Details
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen interior Design help

Q

Comments (2)
    Hey Amy, using tiles for floor and granite for countertop. The granite selection is from a local based company, McMonagle stone fireplaces in Donegal. Their selection can be viewed online. As for floors, I'v no idea...
    ...See More

To put hob on kitchen island or not to put hob on kitchen island?

Q

Comments (28)
    Hi amfork, I went ahead & put the hob on my island & am delighted I did. I find it really is so much nicer looking out at the kids/my husband & being able to chat to them while I prepare meals as opposed to facing the wall with my back turned on everyone. I put a 4 ring induction hob on the island & put a 5 ring gas hob on counter facing wall. I did this as I have a large extended family & we frequently have get togethers. It’s great for catering for big events. However, I use the 4 ring induction hob on a daily basis. Hope this helps! Best of luck with your project, Claire
    ...See More

Houzz Live Chat - Designing a Dream Kitchen, 1 pm, 15 July 2016

Q

Comments (80)
    A15) @Dara Cooke: If you can't afford a quartz or granite worktop from day one then I would recommend using a laminate worktop as a temporary solution. If you don't put tiles up as a backsplash then replacing the worktops can be relatively easy in a couple of years.
    ...See More

need help for my kitchen

Q

Comments (0)
    My kitchen (a second small one) in a Georgian house has old terracota tiles 6 inch square, which I have recently had polished and want to keep. The area is approx 12 ft square with 10 ft high ceilings. There is a large Georgian window on two of the walls, with an entrance door on the the third wall and a fireplace on the fourth wall, into which I have managed to put a cooker, with two built in cupboards either side of it. I need a sink, integrated washing machine, integrated dishwasher. The walll with the door is plumbed for water, but it could also go on the adjoining wall under the window ?? Please any ideas would help, also colour scheme. I am normally good at this but the dimension, ceiling height, tiles have thrown me a bit on this one ! Appreciate your suggestions. Thank you so much
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Keep it under the window. It works better and you'll avoid the cost of installing the plumbing for the sink.

Kim Craig thanked Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • PRO
    KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
    6 years ago

Don't need a drawing - can totally visualize what you're doing and I say go with your initial instinct - sink in the island! I always face the sink out so that you become a part of what's happening and not have your back to everyone. I use the analogy of my childhood when my Mom (Mother of 6) had time to listen to my woes only when she was preparing dinner. So I spent the majority of my growing up years talking to the back of her head :( When they built their retirement home I made sure the sink was facing into the family room where she can be apart of the entire action. Of course, we don't let her take on large parties anymore so when we get together as a family - it's a crowd - we are all able to see each other and have a conversation face to face as opposed to the back of anyone's head....

Kim Craig thanked KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
  • K Laurence
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I don’t like cooktops or sinks on the island. I designed my kitchen purposely avoiding both.

Kim Craig thanked K Laurence
  • Kim Craig
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am so torn... but you are so right! My biggest reason for wanting the sink in the island is so that my son can be talking to me, doing his reading and homework with me while still getting the necessary feeding and cooking done.

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Well, if that works better for you go ahead with the sink on the island. I’m all for practicality trumping aesthetics. It wasn’t a concern for me since my teenage son spent more time in his room, coming to the kitchen a dozen times a day grabbing something to eat & leaving :)

Kim Craig thanked K Laurence
  • Kim Craig
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well that's my son too... maybe I am dreaming that this island would help to prevent that haha

• PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    6 years ago

It's a great idea to open up the space with the island facing the next room. However, a photo or sketch would help us visualize where the sink is currently. Something to consider: WIll the island be big enough so that the sink doesn't take up most of the island? Is the sink is too large it may take away from other uses for the island. Will you have to (and be okay with) reducing the size of the sink if that's the case?

Kim Craig thanked Pearl Remodeling
  • della70
    6 years ago

With a sink in the island, where is the dishwasher? If it's opposite the sink, along the wall, then you will have a trail of water from the sink to the dishwasher when rinsing before loading. Curious to ask what you think of that angle?

Kim Craig thanked della70
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i'm too messy to have my sink in the island, i'd be endlessly having to clean it up instead of stacking things in it til (engineer) husband loads the dishwasher.

but i'll say this, you'll still want your trash and dishwasher to frame your sink or you'll be endlessly dripping across the floor. if you dont have room for all 3, leave them over where they are.

typed same time as Pam. yup, your dw and sink and trash need to be besties.

Kim Craig thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Kim Craig
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah the dishwasher, sink and trash would all be in the island. The island will be about 7' long.

My total kitchen is 14' long x 11 wide galley. The back wall holds all the cabinets, sink *with window above, looking out to a side yard, but with nice roses, but no children playing, so not keeping an eye out there. More cabinets and dishwasher then stove and a tiny 9" spice cabinet that is to close to the wall to get into. Where the island will be... sits the fridge and pantry and a tiny 9" cabinet, again to close to the wall to get into. I hope this helps, I haven't any sketches, but do appreciate the comments, thoughts and expenses!

• Kim Craig
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oops experiences..is what I meant

• PRO
    KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
    6 years ago

Another piece of advice - if you could get rid of 9" cabinets by adjusting space on either side of range that would be nice - if not - look into frameless cabinets that maximize your storage space and don't use base cabinets with roll outs but drawers. Hope you're working with a good kitchen designer - we're worth the investment.

Kim Craig thanked KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
  • mtnmom9
    6 years ago

My vote is sink under window. I love having a big island with uninterrupted counter, which is a great space for kids to spread out with homework, and me to spread out with baking stuff and packing lunches. My island is also all drawers which is awesome. We have our sink under a window, and its nice to look out while doing dishes. In addition, we're messy dishwashers, and have dirty dishes and drying dishes on a mat on either side of the sink and no way would I want all that sink clutter on my island. I find that I still spend a lot of time prepping at the island and facing the kids so I don't think I'm missing out. Not to mention In our remodel we saved a ton of money by not moving the sink/dishwasher plumbing.

Kim Craig thanked mtnmom9
  • chiflipper
    6 years ago

Had the trash / sink / DW on the island and it worked fine. Just make sure you are comfortable with the lineup. I had mine in that order...scrape, pivot in front of sink to load DW.

Kim Craig thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    6 years ago
    About 70 percent of time in kitchen is prep, so for socializing an island is a great place for prep, which will need a sink. Real issue is one sink or two. Even if you entertain a lot, guests are likely to see dirty dishes whether you have a two-level island or not. Yes a sink, DW and trash can take up 75” on an island but it is saving space on perimeter. I would do a large single basin sink in the island.
    Kim Craig thanked Hal Braswell Consulting
  • User
    6 years ago

Under window is my vote. The pile up of dishes etc on the island would bug me. One that is only seven feet especially.

Kim Craig thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

Also, all the dish soap hand soap scrubbers wash cloths and towels. That can start to take up a lot of visual space when you thrown in any dishes or pots and pans you hand wash.

Kim Craig thanked User
  • daisiesandbutterflies
    6 years ago

Sink under the window, unless you are ultra neat. I think sinks attract messes, and I'd prefer to keep the mess off the island.

Kim Craig thanked daisiesandbutterflies
  • orec3
    6 years ago
    I prefer an island with no sink or appliances, just a nice big counter that can be used for anything. A messy sink is a drag when company is gathered at the island.
    Kim Craig thanked orec3
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

I have had both over the years and my fave combo was a large sink under the kitchen window with a DW on one side and cabinets above the DW to put dishes away.....and a very small vegetable/ garbage disposal sink on one end of the island by the fridge to make salads etc. without interferring with the cook/clean area.

When I inherited the sink in the 8' by 4' island all I ever saw were the dirty dishes in the sink and all over the island.....just my personal experience, you have to decide how you work in your kitchen and act accordingly.

Kim Craig thanked Susan Davis
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

KR Kitchens, in my last home I had a 9" base cabinet that I used for trays and I'd love a 9" wall cabinet with a spice pull-out. When I remodel next, that's what I'm going to add.

Kim Craig thanked Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • Matt
    6 years ago

Sink in the island is excellent for being able to do the dishes and clean up a bit without your back to the room or family. I used to have a sink by the window, and if you're typically by yourself, it's great to be able to look outside. But now our home has it in the island, and I can watch tv or talk to whomever is sitting at the island breakfast bar while I clean up, and it's great.

Only downside is our dirty dishes have always piled up on the counter near the sink, so now that part of the island does get a little cluttered at times.

Kim Craig thanked Matt
  • Alix Sechrest
    6 years ago

I would leave the island the way it is so you can utilize all of the space and place the sink by the window.

Kim Craig thanked Alix Sechrest
  • Shelby
    6 years ago

I think sink in the island! I feel like that was your initial instinct and it would be great for you to clean up, do dishes and still be involved with your family.

Kim Craig thanked Shelby
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

How much time do you spend actually working at the sink while you're in your kitchen? If you're peeling potatoes for ten every night then you're at the sink for a long time. If you're rinsing salad before dinner then rinsing plates and loading the dishwasher after dinner you're not at the sink itself for all that long.

I too like a clear island. And I love being able to look out the window while I'm doing sink chores. Just the water+homework factor alone would make me hesitate to have the sink in the island. And when I cook, I'm flying everywhere, never giving my undivided attention to anyone. Homework help comes in short snippets of "how do you spell..." and "where's the ruler?" More interactive, intense assistance is better done with an undivided mind.

Another consideration is the actual time spent on homework every day. If you homeschool your son might be doing homework there all day, but if not his homework time is probably fairly short and not really worth planning the whole kitchen around. He can talk to the back of your head for the few minutes each day when you are coincidentally working at the sink while he is doing homework.

Bottom line for me is, if the homework factor is the only thing driving the decision to move the sink I vote to keep it by the window. Better overall in the long-term.

Kim Craig thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • picturebug
    6 years ago

A lot might depend on the size of the area where the sink might be. In our kitchen I had my main sink at the window (long wall of cabinets) and a vegetable sink in the island (island approx 5- 6' long) . Ultimate we took out the sink in the island because I liked the expanse of a clear counter both visually and to roll out dough, spread out newspapers, etc. We seldom have company and have no grandkids so facing the crowd was not an issue.

Kim Craig thanked picturebug
  • kulrn
    6 years ago

My sink is in the island but it takes up prep space though I don't have a window and my other counters are tiny. I can watch tv/ socialize while doing dishes, so that's a plus...

• Kim Craig
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Very pretty!

• petlover
    6 years ago

I've had them both ways. I currently have one facing out the window and I like it much better. I "try" to have the island as clutter free as possible. I love facing out on to our rear yard and patio with a hummingbird feeder I can watch while at the sink. I find it very peaceful. My vote goes to window.

Kim Craig thanked petlover
  • PRO
    OPPEIN Group
    6 years ago

Well, if your kitchen sink in the island may allow more prep space. and you can spend more family time there by preparing material together. That is one of the reasons island popular today.

more details: http://m.oppeinhome.com/kitchen

• PRO
    Attaway Homes
    6 years ago

There are pros and cons to each option. With it being in the island, you have to think about what it will look like when you have all the necessary items, or have a good storage option to hide them. Here is a kitchen restoration we completed recently with the sink and dishwasher installed as part of the island.

• marcjennyd
    6 years ago

I have had both & can say I prefer having my sink under a window so much more! Easy decision for me.

• Megan H.
    6 years ago

Based on how you explained the kitchen I think island would be really nice. However you have to think about how you do your dishes. If you let them pile on the counter when the sink is too full the island will be taken over. Also it's nice to have the sink next to the dishwasher so you are not just trailing water throughout the kitchen.

• HU-969339121
    3 years ago

What did you end up doing? I’m having the same dilemma. What do I put under the window if not the sink? Just more counter space? TIA

• Jill Krol
    3 years ago

Okay, so here goes. I'm presuming one of the 14' walls is coming down so you have an island facing out. I would seriously consider having a curved 42" bar top with bar stools. This allows people to converse with each other without killing themselves leaning over to see the person they're talking with. The 42" height helps conceal any clutter or dirty dishes from the living area. I vote for the sink under the window and keep the island for prep. Make sure the island has electrical outlets in it! That's less expensive than moving plumbing. Also, since your island will most likely be your prep area, you'll still be involved! Make sure you allow for 42" walk way between the counter and island at a minimum. 36" is just too little for comfort. Also allow for 12" or more overhang for the chairs at the island for knee space. Try to not have corbels because they are not so affectionately known at kneecap breakers. There are steel supports that can go on the pony wall that will support the counter top, if needed.

So many kitchen designers tout drawers instead of pull outs. While I do like having as many drawers as possible, I prefer pull out shelves. I don't want to have to label the tops of everything in order to know what they are or alternately, have to lay things on their side to see lables. That's just me.

You could place a trash cabinet across from the sink/dishwasher area and it would still be convenient.

I'm presuming the refrigerator will go on a short wall. I would consider a pantry cabinet, then the fridge and then a 36" corner Super Susan bringing you around to the cabinet wall (this also replaces the 36" existing base cabinet). Sink with window, dishwasher, and a 36" stove with a 3" spacer between it and the wall. The 9" spice cabinet is a joke.

I just noticed you originally wrote asking for help 2 years ago, so even though HOUZZ has it as recent, my comments are probably much too late. I hope you had success!

• Irene Morresey
    3 years ago

Under window, sink in island would drive me nuts, like island to be clear and uninterrupted, always looks tidier i think

• Marie Dawkins
    8 months ago

Isla under

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    8 months ago

I thought I would chime in, even though the thread is quite old. While both placements have their merits, I'd like to offer another perspective based on customer feedback and my own experience in kitchen design. Many find that the kitchen island tends to be where friends and family naturally gather. Given that the sink is one of the most frequently used appliances in the kitchen, placing it in the island could offer you the advantage of being part of conversations and social interactions while handling food prep or clean-up tasks. This setup essentially allows you to multitask without missing out on social engagement, creating a more inclusive and interactive kitchen environment. So, if social dynamics and multitasking are important to you, an island sink may be worth considering.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.