resh_likes_renovating_stuff

Victorian House inspiration please!

Resh
6 years ago
Very excited. Crazily having just finished our 1930s renovation that we thought we would be in for years, we yesterday exchanged on our dream house - this 1896 detached wreck in our street in London. We never thought it would come up for sale so have done everything we could to make it happen - and by some miracle it did!

I would love stories or pics of inspiration. Gorgeous old thing, but needs some love...

Comments (229)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

What a great property... I love how it's coming together!

• Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So we had to make decisions on colour: and this is why you need to speak to your spouse! I had visions of dark, strong, tones everywhere and my wife had sort-of agreed…until she didn’t! Turns out that she felt that more industrial stuff, and, which I am not a fan of. We decided on a compromise style which is very different - a delicate, New England tone in some bits of the house. and some industrial touches in some of the rooms like the kitchen (lampshades etc) So there will be some mixes of style around the place (which is fairly normal for us).

So we have redesigned the house colour scheme and compromised, and I hope it all hangs together! The house will progressively lighten and visibly change mood as you go up floors. Ground floor has that dark green kitchen, dark stone tiles and oiled wood floors. The first floor has some darker tones, like that green bedroom and our dressing room, but also some pastels: F&B Light Blue blue guest bedroom and our period peach tone master. You will also start seeing light painted wood floors in bathrooms, which is more in line with that American look.

The top of the house and things really lighten up for the smallest rooms – Farrow & Ball’s Pale Powder, white painted wood floors throughout, greys and whites with pale pink tiling in the top bathroom, for a very feminine look. It sounds (and looks on the mood board) lovely and calming actually, and is a real contrast from that dark green and gold kitchen at the bottom of the house. Together, with our slightly different tastes, I hope that we succeed in making the house not only hang together but feel like a bit of a journey from rich and bold to light and airy as you ascend.

We’ll see!

• Related Discussions

Need understair shelving ideas please

Q

Comments (20)
    It seems that 2 story houses are becoming much more the norm here. At least in the metro areas. People are wanting bigger houses and builders can get more house on less land. Mattresses, box springs and dressers have to be the WORST things to get up stairs ;-) I love the look of staircases and love the view a 2nd story provides. I'll tell ya though - we're not elderly (YET!) but I love not carrying laundry and other items up and down stairs ;-)
    ...See More

Mixing antique brass and polished chrome in the dining room & kitchen

Q

Comments (16)
    What I'm actually wondering though is about mixing the metals - so having the chandelier and lamps with the touch of silver - or would I be better to source antique brass lamps like I have in some other rooms in the house - I kind of wanted to feature quite a bit of glass, and generally the glass comes with chrome, but I'm not sure if it's too modern for the sideboard etc, and mores worried about the clash of metals, but something tells me it might be ok in this instance! I have chrome taps and rainfall shower head in new bathroom and kept with antique brass for the light fittings and door/press knobs. Also yes the room is small but that's not an issue - it is what it is and I'm fine with it!
    ...See More

Flooring with dogs

Q

Comments (6)
    Wood Essence Amber is a great product, comes in just few sizes but also in a non slip tile. The tiles in general could be lay on floor boards, not directly. I would lay first a 9-10 mm plywood otherwise the existing boards might move too much creating cracks in the grout, also use flexible tile adhesive specific for wood, I think MAPEI has the best tile adhesive, but that is because I am Italian, sorry. I know KERAKOLL is getting more and more popular as DUNLOP. Best advise ever, do not go for plywood less than 9mm, please! ( I have been convinced by a client, I will never do it again its not worth it ) You might find some fibre cement boards to use specific for this porpoises, there are quite few types around you just need to ask your closest building merchant.
    ...See More

Win a design consultation at The permanent tsb Ideal Home Show!

Q

Comments (74)
    Hello Houzz Ireland, We are currently renovating a 1960's build - so as you know, there is a lot of decisions to be made!! So it would be nice to get some gems of advice from the experts to help us through this daunting task. Areas where we would really like some inspiration for - small bathroom downstairs. I would really like to do something fun with this room and although small, I think it could work really well with some funky wallpaper or possibly tiles?! I'm just not sure what to do with it. Also - pulling a whole house together?! Where do we start? We have the bigger pieces of furniture but how do I know what nest of tables goes best with a suite? Or what accessories will bring a room together? I'm due a second baby in 2 weeks time so any help at this stage would be so amazing - to guide me on the right interior design path for our new house. Thanks, Laurie
    ...See More
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also, can't wait to start hanging art and pictures on those walls. I'm getting a bit impatient now. One month in, one month to go (at least)...

• Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And to add to the craziness, I'm trying to arrange to see some cocker spaniel pups this weekend: this house needs a hound.

Oh well, if life isn't busy enough, create chaos, eh?

• olivia38
    6 years ago
    I can't believe what brilliant progress you are making, Resh. You and your house (and wife!) are super inspiring! Thank you for sharing your house with us.
    Resh thanked olivia38
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Farrow & Ball Light Blue in the small guest bed. Looks a bit grey here but a lovely colour in real life - pale blue without being too pastel, nicely heritage. Inspiration for this colour came from Houzz - a living room in a Georgian house in Edinburgh.

Fireplace to be restored...
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    It’s lovely!
    Resh thanked Carolina
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have had lots of requests for my spreadsheets, so I really hope you guys are finding them useful. Good way of tracking and managing costs, but please excuse my really basic Excel spreadsheet formula skills. That kind of thing is really my wife's forte, not mine...so if you adapt it, be sure to check the running totals etc are still tallying to the correct cells etc.

Please don't get a nasty shock because my sheet didn't add everything up properly for you...there are enough surprises in renovation projects without adding to the stress!

• wendy Anderson
    6 years ago
    How were the pups?
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Had to cancel that appointment- too much going on! I probably should have worked this out earlier...:-)
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kitchen going in. There's a lot of it and it still looks a total dusty mess. I know from experience that these come together at the end once trims etc are done. It's a really good space at 9m x 4m, divided into two distinct areas by an archway, which leads from the original house to the extension.

It looks more imposing in photos than it is in the flesh - when standing in it, you get the benefit of the 3 metre ceilings. It has a cooking/island area, and a dining area where people can get cutlery, drinks from fridge, wine and stuff from larder without having to encroach into the cooking area and bother me when I'm burning stuff :)

Island. It will house double belfast sink with waste disposal, dishwasher and cook's fridge, and seating for four on the other side. It's 3m long by 1m wide.

Views from garden end and dining area end

Big storage larders surrounding the fridge and freezer space, and view from garden end along island.

Double oven cabinet, plus cabinet housing toaster, kettle etc. All the
    spurs/switches for ovens etc are hidden in the tall cabinet. Wine fridge
    will go under the counter next to the cutlery drawers, space between
    the wall cabs will house a wine rack.

One of the cabinet runs in the cooking area. No wall cabinets, to keep this area, which gets much better light, airy, counterbalancing those big, heavy-looking larders.

• Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Some colours. Master bedroom is a peach-pink-grey colour. To avoid tweeness, things like lamps will be black, with some brass accents to glam things up. In winter, cosy with layered and textured fabrics, in summer light with paler linens etc. One of the very few rooms that will have a fitted carpet.

Small guest bed in that F&B Light Blue. I love this room with its little fireplace - and it has a lovely en-suite bathroom too...lucky guests!

• Karen
    6 years ago
    Wow! it's really coming together now!
  • wendy Anderson
    6 years ago
    Perfect colour for a guest room. Lucky guests indeed! And I'm fascinated to see how the master looks when fully finished - in all honesty I would run a mile from anything peach normally, but how you've described It, it could work!! I shall remain open-minded, as I've very recently used some light pink with grey undertones in my house and I'm a convert!
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The peach/pink is definitely a bit of an experiment, but having seen some beautiful pink rooms on Houzz, we thought we'd give it a go. It's very calming in the bedroom. What will be more interesting is the rose pink-grey living room...let's see how that goes!

Unusually for a bloke, I like the colour pink as a heritage colour (as did the Georgians and Victorians - it only really became a colour associated with femininity in the 20th century). I think it can have really great effect in a room with period features. The problem with the bedroom above is that it is new, and a bit featureless. When the skirtings go in (and a picture rail) it should work better.

I thought the one thing I could really play around here is wall colour. They guys are preparing the walls immaculately before painting, so re-painting should something not work is a really easy task.

Here's a peachy-pink bedroom on Houzz that I rather liked...

And a rose pink bathroom. One of ours (the new one in the lift shaft) has some pink and black Moroccan pattern encaustic tiles from the previous owner going in, so the walls will actually be charcoal, to avoid everything being too bubblegum...

• Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen - I wish it were coming together! It looks a lot better than it is - still looks and feels like a building site. We are at least a month away from it being a functional house. But now, we should start finishing some rooms, which is always satisfying...the kitchen will start looking better once worktops, appliances, trims and cabinet knobs are installed.

• Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm starting to think furniture. Where is my favourite lime green reading chair and footstool going to go? Here is is in our old house...I spend more time in it than I should, and wish that to continue!

That lime colour *should* go pretty well with the greyish-pink and oiled original floorboards chosen for the main living room...I hope.

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Going to be beautiful!

• Karen
    6 years ago
    It feels like significant progress in a short space of time... at least compared to ours!

PS.. love the peach look!
  • Joe Foster
    6 years ago
    I’d definitely paint the living room in Hague Blue... lovely colour that ;)
  • shazadi
    6 years ago
    Resh - you’re old house looks amazing and you’re new house looks amazing. I’m not sure one person should have so much amazing ness in their life!!! Love getting the updates you post. I also love you’re old parquet floor. Did you install it and if so where did you get it. Looks like wood rather than tile? More of the same in the new place?
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks - the parquet was French point pattern engineered parquet from Floor Monster, who are on here. A great company to deal with. Our builders installed it. Looked great with F&B's Hague Blue...
  • Karen
    6 years ago
    I see you also had the skirting boards and coving painted in the same colour... I love the finished look, but when considered the same for our house, I wondered about the practicality of repainting these when you choose to redecorate. Especially if you do doors, door frames and windows?
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Karen, to me it Depends on ceiling height and how ornate the room is. Our old place was a 1930's house, so painting the room from skirting to coving worked as the rooms were standard height - gave the illusion of height, and have interest to a room with few real period features. In an ornate 3m tall room like those in the new house, the woodwork will be painted more traditionally - contrasted to the walls.
  • Karen
    6 years ago
    Yes that makes sense. Coming to think of it, all our rooms have picture rails anyway!
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Can anyone tell that I'm basically a frustrated interior designer nerd? My real job doesn't allow much playing with colour...
  • climcc
    6 years ago
    Hi Resh who did you get to paint the kitchen door? You mentioned the cabinets were from solid kitchen company did they provide the doors and painted it?
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    They paint to any F&B colour if you pay a bit extra for bespoke painting. It's a good finish too - feels like a proper industrial two-pack and tough, or a properly cured exterior grade paint, rather than just a sprayed-on water based interior eggshell.
  • shazadi
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the info. You are definitely in the wrong job! Become an interior designer, use photos of your own houses and the commissions will come flooding in. In the meantime you giving your advice for free on here is all good by me ;-)
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have also spent much of the weekend buying appliances. Hunting for graded ones (ex demo, slightly marked in places you won't see when they are installed) has saved a lot of money.

Plenty available, too, if you look around online. Most of the kit is Siemens or Bosch, all with full warranties, but bought for the price of cheaper brands.

I bought lower quality appliances for my first flat, and most of them had issues. Learned not to make that mistake again. And you have to look at these things every day - worth picking ones that look good!
  • nmlondon
    6 years ago
    Hi Resh, a question is related to your 30’s house. Was there the void/suspended floor boards? Did you insulate underneath and then laid the parquet over the original floorboards? Thanks
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There was indeed a void under the floorboards. We took the boards up, insulated with rock wool held up by a mesh stapled to the bottom of the joists, so that ventilation could still prevent damp in the joists, and then boarded the floor to fit the parquet. We were careful not to block the airbricks.

I have seen plenty of period houses where inappropriate insulation materials have been used. These houses have to breathe to prevent damp. Sticking insulation boards and insulated plasterboard everywhere without paying attention to airflow (default solution for most builders as it's easy) is a sure way to problems...

• nmlondon
    6 years ago
    Thank you, appreciate your quick reply. A guess a job for my husband, unless he outsources, when we are back in two years.
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Awful job to do. So. Many. Spiders. Some the size of mice.

Arachnids aren't really my strong suit. I paid someone else to go down there.

• wendy Anderson
    6 years ago
    I'm laughing at the spiders comment. Bedroom pic looks more pink than peach to me, so no further convincing needed here! It looks great accesorised with black - I used copper with mine which I also love
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

En-suite shower room being painted. Inky blue to go with the blue and white tiles.

• yvonne oliver
    6 years ago
    Hi Resh any recommendations on where to buy the kitchen graded appliance from? We’re looking to do the same
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    eBay - look for well rated sellers, especially those who have their own non-eBay websites.
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So first hiccup caused by me - I didn't order enough of the tongue and groove trim panels for the kitchen. Bespoke painted oak so fiendishly expensive, as well as with a 3 week order time.

Means we have nothing for under the island. I am going to have the builder paint some high grade plywood instead. Won't be tongue and groove, but will show a wood grain and be hidden behind bar stools anyway. And save about £500.

Had I thought this through properly, this is actually how I should have trimmed the whole kitchen. T&G is nice, but so is a good wood grain: a great finish for end panels (which is also what the oak cabinet doors show, actually), and high grade 18mm or thicker marine-grade ply is tough, stable, and will take a tough oil paint very happily. Visible ends could be easily trimmed with any number of beads and then painted for a lovely finish.

Damn. If there's a next time, lesson learned.

• Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also, top tip, folks! If installing an island with plumbing/electrics in it, make sure you have an access panel somewhere to get to them - especially for the plumbing. I speak from bitter experience in the last house. This is a particular problem with Belfast sinks mounted, you guessed it, under a stone worktop, meaning you can't easily take the sink out.

I had this in my old house - learned my lesson the hard way, A bad situation when your dishwasher or waste disposal unit are leaking or need replacing, and you find out that there are a load of connections you need to get to that are hidden behind the sink. Even worse if that Belfast sink has an Insinkerator waste disposal plumbed into it and the dishwasher is plumbed into that - the bits you need to get to are directly behind the unit, and not easily reachable from the space in the cabinet under that sink, even if you cut out the back panel. Very awkward.

So that stone worktop has to come off (not realistic) or you have to cut through a cabinet back or two with a jigsaw (better option by far - but you do it very carefully). Which is what I did - replacing the hacked up back panel with an access panel held in place by magnets, for the next time. Trust me, it's easier to do this at installation stage!

This island is 90cm wide, and one side is the seating area, which is behind the row of front cabinets, which include sink, fridge, dishwasher etc. The whole kickpanel in the seating area will be mounted on a stud frame which has six metal threads installed, so that the panel (plywood, as we determined above) bolts to these six screws. Need access to the plumbing and drain? Drop the panel in minutes, and everything is in front of you and easily accessed...

• Melissa S
    6 years ago

Hi Resh, reading the above comment with some interest as we're planning island with stone worktop, Belfast sink and dishwasher. Can you post a pic of the set-up you describe when you're done? Thanks!

• AMB
    6 years ago
    Finally, a sensible response to insulation and breathability!
  • Melissa S
    6 years ago

Hi Resh, reading the above comment with some interest as we're planning island with stone worktop, Belfast sink and dishwasher. Can you post a pic of the set-up you describe when you're done? Thanks!

• AMB
    6 years ago
    How about starting a new thread? It's taking a long time to get to the new comments at the bottom... :)
  • Resh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good idea. We've gone here - please follow us! I love all your input, observations and encouragement - makes me feel that my wife and I aren't doing this all on our own...

https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/victorian-renovation-in-london-part-2-dsvw-vd~4911251

• PRO
    GROHE UK
    5 years ago

We've just published a new ideabook on Victorian bathrooms. Have a look through and get inspired for your new home.

https://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/109003990/thumbs/victorian-bathroom-spring-inspiration-2018

• graceh32
    5 years ago

Hi Resh, I work for a TV production company and we're currently looking for homeowners in London and the South of England with a design dilemma to feature on a new home makeover series for a major UK broadcaster. Our renowned TV property guru is looking to work with homeowners to help you transform your space.

If you're interested in finding out more about our exciting new series please get in touch on the details below:

Email apply@outlineproductions.co.uk or call 02031502742

Many thanks!

Grace

• E D
    5 years ago

Ha, I think Resh and his wife can probably teach this TV property guru a thing or two! :)

• PRO
    Priors Period Ironmongery
    5 years ago

Don't underestimate the importance of some nice Victorian door knobs. Maybe you have some already which can be re-used. If not the beehive look would be great or for late Victorian include Porcelain and wood. Check out our range here: https://www.priorsrec.co.uk/door-knobs

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.