webuser893

Mixing antique brass and polished chrome in the dining room & kitchen

Robert O'Connor
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Hey guys, usually I'm pretty confident with this sort of thing and as a rule, everywhere besides the bathroom, I have stuck with replacing all of the plastic outlets, switches and hardware in general with antique brass. The home has an old world feel to it but with a slightly modern edge in terms of appliances and utilities in the bathroom etc. I am on the last room of the house now - the dining room and kitchen (it's open plan) - and I have seen a chandelier I really like as well as large lamps for sideboard at a good price but the problem is I am not sure if the fact they have chrome trim will be a disaster with the antique brass/old world feel. The kitchen is going to be solid mahogany with some sort of granite or similar tops (possibly in a cream/gold), and the furniture is all mahogany, the walls are currently beige but going to be papered with a sort of duckegg colour pattern print. So my question - will the chrome and antique brass look amateur and wrong? Also - all the appliances are stainless steel (FF, dishwasher, oven/hob) and the cabinet handles would be antique brass. One additional question - would you guys recommend me continuing the mahogany parquet floor from the hall, or installing a cream tile or similar? I wanted the wood for warmth and to blend in with next room but I'm not sure if it'll be too dark/matchy-matchy and high maintenance in kitchen area. Other option is parquet in dining end and in the smaller galley kitchen have some sort of small decorative victorian type tile similar to my porch. PHEW! All help appreciated. PS - those canvases will be gone with new, better art replacing, just FYI!

Comments (16)

• Robert O'Connor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Actually - here is the lighting:
  • fos5
    9 years ago
    Please post room pictures with different angles.
  • Robert O'Connor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Don't have those at the moment - kitchen is the old fit-out and will be done from scratch, that is the entire dining space, bar the doors, which will be changed from PVC to hardwood.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I never understand why people want switch covers to standout so you lost me with the first paragraph.
  • fos5
    9 years ago
    Agree Patricial Colwell. If it is the antique brass you like, use it on a decorative frame on a painting , not a light switch. Move the monitor off your buffet and hang the two paintings over it. The 2 glass candle holders need candles in them a big cut glass bowl with a floral arrangement and a crystal chandelier. Move the odd ball chair out of the dining room. Room appears in the picture cramped for space???? Can you post a different angle of this room??
  • Robert O'Connor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The chair needs to be in the room - it was purchased for there for the opposite side of the room. The switches were to be this way because of the fact that plastic is tacky and they should be uniform throughout the house much like doorknobs, which are also antique brass.
  • Robert O'Connor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The candles are coming (thanks!) and the paintings are leaving altogether. Will post different angle later.
  • fos5
    9 years ago
    Thank you Robert.
  • Robert O'Connor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    What I'm actually wondering though is about mixing the metals - so having the chandelier and lamps with the touch of silver - or would I be better to source antique brass lamps like I have in some other rooms in the house - I kind of wanted to feature quite a bit of glass, and generally the glass comes with chrome, but I'm not sure if it's too modern for the sideboard etc, and mores worried about the clash of metals, but something tells me it might be ok in this instance! I have chrome taps and rainfall shower head in new bathroom and kept with antique brass for the light fittings and door/press knobs. Also yes the room is small but that's not an issue - it is what it is and I'm fine with it!
  • fos5
    9 years ago
    You can buy chandeliers in gold or burnished gold. Doesn't sound like you used reproduction taps????
  • Robert O'Connor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yeah I know but I've just saw this one that was good size for good price and thought would be an option, the silver is not that obvious on it I guess. A lot of what's available is smaller and less prolific. I didn't use reproduction taps, I used some from the Blade range that match the shower head as I didn't want it mismatched in the space, it's the same as toilet flush also.
  • Robert O'Connor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Barbara that's the kind of approach I took with bathroom - just wanted some of your thoughts. Sounds good, thank you!
  • bubbogubbo
    9 years ago
    Mix metals it's definitely more interesting
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    The chandelier is fine but the lamps look too contemporary.
  • Robert O'Connor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not worried about lamps now I like how they look.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.