dismukes01

Need your help on landscaping please

dismukes01
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I have never been much of a green thumb but the older I get the more interested I am in learning. I am even more eager to learn because we recently built a house in the country and I am so anxious to start planting. I just need some help getting started on what to put where and what to plant. I look forward to your response and thanking you in advance for same.
I have attached some pictures of our house, we have not long moved in and have ALLOT of landscaping to do. The pictures were taking about 8:30 in the morning as this will give you an idea of the positioning of the sun at that time of the day. :)
Thank you again.

Comments (22)

• dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ok so I am knew to this website also so bare with me. About to add the rest of the pictures.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The red chairs are going to be replaced with white rocking chairs and a swing. Again, just recently moved ine. :) Thank you again.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    oh... one more thing. SORRY.. I would like to start planting in the front first and move around so if you have limited time in your response, start with the front of the house. :)
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    Wildflower seeding for natives in your area can also be sourced through your local Native Plant Society. Native shrubs are often available in small sizes, but once established according your local watering cycle, are extremely hardy, having held their own against invaders pretty well in the darwin race. If you need landscape lighting or irrigation, and or want to terrace / redirect drainage through a grassy swale, a professional designer is invaluable.
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    All good ideas above. I will add that as you plan your design, that you include shade for your AC, to improve performance. Also, once you have pathways decided on, breaking your yard into areas of activity (entertainment, open yard for play, etc. ) first can make the process easier whether you do it yourself or hire help.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all so much. I was not at all expecting such quick responses. I have visited MANY local nursery's and sometimes seem to get a little overwhelmed, maybe because of lack of experience. I do not have the money just yet to hire someone, new house brought expenses for "wants" and wish now I would have included enough money for this type work, but we live and learn. :) This will at least get me started. I was thinking white Crepe Myrtles at each end of the house? Both me and my husband LOVE color so with shrubs, maybe fill in with color. I absolutely LOVE the pictures on this site and with me having the yard space, plan to eventually use some of the ideas. We plan to put a rustic wood fence around the acreage that is right there with the house. Again, BIG PLANS to come but for now, concentrating on the front of the house just to get me started.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Does anyone else have any ideas they would like to add? With the great advice thus far, I should get be able to get myself started with tons of work ahead of me. OH, and thank you studio for the advice on shade for the AC.
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    You have a lot of reading available to you on this subject, so get your library card ready.
    Get you pencils ready, too, and start drawing: In choosing plants, look at trees and shrubs first - I lean heavily on evergreen 'bones' in front yards as a year round surety. Your tree selections determine available sun in the yard, as well as whether underplantings are a viable option. Draw to scale their full size canopy, pay attention to the amount of sun you get a where, and use that to determine what can be used for the remaining spaces. Good luck.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much studio. I greatly appreciate your advice. I know I have allot of ground to cover/work with and one day hope to have a GORGEOUS yard. I am just trying hard to bring color to the front porch through my flower beds and will take the rest in stages. We sit on 55 acres of land so as noted above, plan to zero in on the acreage around the house by way of a rustic wood fence. EVENTUALLY. :) What do you think about the evergreen azaleas? I LOVE the color of the Blue Juniper's also? I have been reading and looking at pictures ALL DAY and instead of being overwhelmed, I am actually getting excited. The back porch, we are going to build a hut like for grilling and I plan to add a fire pit with seating. Again, thank you all so very much. You have no idea how much this has helped me so far.
  • Dawn Y
    11 years ago
    My advice would be to hire a landscape architect to drawn up plans for your "yard" the area around your home. I too was excited to get started planning and planting when we built our new home on a sizeable piece of property--but my husband helped me to be patient and I am sooooo happy I did. We hired someone to layout the placement of the walkways, patios, pergola's as well as the trees, shrubs and plants. We then purchased the plans and did all the work ourselves (minus the heavy lifting of stone steps etc). We saved thousands this way but ended up with a stunning piece of property in the end. Through the process I learned so much about which tree or shrub or plant will do well where and why that I now feel confident that I am choosing the right species for the space etc. The one thing we did do before we landscaped our yard was to plant a native prairie on the acreage that was not woods and that really helped me to be patient waiting for the rest. Believe me it was well worth it. Good luck to you and project and enjoy!!
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    THANK YOU YOUNGSY.... so nice to hear others that had to be patient with a large area to work with but to know patience paid off. That is not a bad idea a all in getting someone to lay out what needs to go where. We do not mind doing he work. I plan to call around and get some prices on just that. I am now looking up pictures of a "native prairie" which might help with my patience as well. Thank you again. I greatly appreciate your feed back.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    OK... Last call for help/advice. ANY help or advice is welcomed. I looked into the native prairie and plan to try and make that happen, feel I know the perfect place in the "yard" (acreage :) ) I have consumed this site and all the great ideas on other post. You all are great!!!!! Again, I welcome ALL thoughts and ideas. Will be on a mission this weekend with my papers, pencil and hopefully a good mapped out idea to provide to my local nursery people.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I may be posting other pictures of the inside in areas where I am "stuck" on how to decor. I just LOVE this site.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok people, I took you great advice but I have not taken pictures yet. I spent 10 hours in the yard Saturday and while was just about give out, I was so excited. I will post updated pictures soon. I planted 6 verigated pittorsporms ( I am sure I spelled that wrong:) ), an Red Jap Maple, thre Gardenia's, one hydragea, three knock out roses and two crepe myrtles. I still have one side to go and I will be DONE with the front. Moving right along. I wanted Red Holly as my anchor but went to three different places and none to be found. I settled for crepe Myrtles but plan to continue looking for my holly's and will move the crepes to the back. OH, and have my eye on several for my soon to be butterfly garden. :) I am moving right along. Thank ya'll again for your help.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    I agree to buy plans after a landscaping architect draws something up if you wish. Can't wait to see.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hey bevballew, I am not sure I understand but would love to know. Your asking to buy the plans of our landscaping if we have it drawn up by a landscaping architect?
  • Rare Bird
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If ur a novice my advice is drive around the local area and take photos of plants u like in the gardens then ur nursary will be able to advise U as to what plants compliment each other. I always treat the nursary as my garden going around with a trolly and finding a quiet area to settle plants I ve selected together ......best if u have a helper cos if u need a plant u noticed earlier u can go back to find it...Get some trees for instant impact .............Good luck and happy gardening
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Don't know what the heck I wrote! So sorry! I was trying to say you can purchase the drawing of the landscape design and do the purchase and labor yourself of the shrubbery. What a goofy message I left yesterday. Sometimes my iPad decides words I don't want typed.
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    LOL.... it's ok bevballew... for an split second, I thought I had gone from nothing to something in gardening HAHAHAHA.... then no sooner than I saw the fame signs, reality hit. lololol.... thank you for clarifying. I actually spoke with a master gardener who is a friend of a friend of mine. She was so very nice in giving me free advice by looking at my pictures. With her advice combined with the advice from all you great people, I am making progress. Rare Bird, I plan to purchase a dog wood tree soon but need to make sure I can plant anytime. I had no idea how expensive trees are until I decided to fall in love with the idea of planting my own. Thank you all again. OH, by the way, do they have AA for Houzz addiction because I am addicted no doubt. Have a great night.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    I did not mean to burst your bubble!! Lol. I have not seen your work....ya never know...I just might be asking yet! I know...this place is addictive. You have a great night! Thanks for lol!
  • dismukes01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hey guys, can I ask one more favor PLEASE. :) OK, you read the work I did last Saturday right. If you look at the picture of the front of the house, i am left with the right side where the two windows are. I cannot decide if I want to plant more gardenias. I thought about three big ones there or to change it up a little, maybe two gardenia's and a hawthorn in the middle? I had actually thought about a tree bush so to speak between the windows and maybe a gardenia on each side but with the crepe myrtles used as anchors, did not want it to look uneven. AND... I could always result to the good ole white azaleas...?.
    To give you an idea of what I put where, In the front of the long porch is where I planted the pittosporms. On the side of the house that faces the driveway is where I planted knock out roses and plan to add something with those this weekend to avoid having a long wall of just knockout roses, the gardenias on the left side(if you are looking at the picture of the carport) of the extended carport and the hydrangea is in the nook of the house that is between the long porch and the other side of the house. I need something to go with it in that nook and it cannot require allot of sunlight. Any suggestions? OH.. and forgot about the Jap Maple, planted it about 10 yards maybe further as I am not good with estimate distance, from the house almost diagonal from where the wall starts on right side of the house. I am so sorry to once again be lengthy but thought you needed to know where I planted what in order to know better on what I need to use to finish. Finish with the front for now that is. Other than my butterfly garden somewhere in the front acreage. :)
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.