joelcoqui

How to refresh this old kitchen.

joelcoqui
7 years ago
I do plan on changing all the cabinet hardware. But how do I refresh this kitchen. Can't afford to do the whole thing over again. I have Rosa beta granite in the center island which has the sink. I cook a lot. the outer cabinetry has white Corian countertops which is basically for display purposes, no abuse on them. It's a 24 x 24 size. Eat in kitchen.

Comments (72)

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for all your help. Photos make my kitchen look good. It is used and abused. It's is at 23 years old.
  • er612
    7 years ago

• Related Discussions

Mixing antique brass and polished chrome in the dining room & kitchen

Q

Comments (16)
    What I'm actually wondering though is about mixing the metals - so having the chandelier and lamps with the touch of silver - or would I be better to source antique brass lamps like I have in some other rooms in the house - I kind of wanted to feature quite a bit of glass, and generally the glass comes with chrome, but I'm not sure if it's too modern for the sideboard etc, and mores worried about the clash of metals, but something tells me it might be ok in this instance! I have chrome taps and rainfall shower head in new bathroom and kept with antique brass for the light fittings and door/press knobs. Also yes the room is small but that's not an issue - it is what it is and I'm fine with it!
    ...See More

Please help me to update my old antique pine kitchen

Q

Comments (10)
    I agree, I think the kitchen units are quite charming. The tiles date it, the top of the dresser and the piece over the window. Agree, would paint the ceiling a soft chalky white. I know they're becoming a little overdone but metro tiles would suit but handmade ones in a soft white unless you just remove the tiles altogether and have a splashback by the oven. Can you afford to update the floor? The dresser offers good storage space, have you considered either just removing the top half or updating the top so changing the architrave and glass panes? The fire itself looks lovely, do you need the heater in front? I also like the brick but the recesses are dating it. I definitely wouldn't paint the brick, if you were to do anything I think it would need plastering over to cover the niches unless you are able to match the brick. Do you have a better pic of the firep? If you are set on painting the kitchen units, I would look at the really dark greys and inky Blues for the base units, as I think they'd suit the style well, with brass cup handles with a very pale grey for ŵall units. Or if you want the same colour units, look at a mid tone grey.
    ...See More

Before and After kitchen renovation on a very tight budget.

Q

Comments (15)
    It is fair comment on not so pretty tiles and unfortunately you can't do much with the floor here because it covers too large area. On a picture you can see only lounge area, which is actually part of the kitchen. Tiles cover floor in the kitchen, lounge area and dining room. Extra large rug wouldn't make it better. This project has two tough points: tight budget and timing.
    ...See More

kitchen refresh needed- new wall and cabinet paint

Q

Comments (8)
    I painted my kitchen three years ago, and I love it. It's hard work and can take some weeks to do. You need to take doors off, remove the hinges and handles. Remember you need to prime and paint two coats on each side, so for a door that equates to six coats of paint and letting each coat dry. I used Mylands of London paint, I'm just hooked on this paint as the eggshell is dead flat with only 8 percent sheen, you wont get another paint any flatter. And if the paints good enough for Downtown Abbey, then it's good enough for us. I would hold back on painting wall tiles, as they are white and look fine , paint the cupboards first and see what it looks like. I choose Myalnds paint and had the colour mixed in a farrow and ball blue green. See photos. Good luck Yvonne
    ...See More
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I see, but you are making it completely modern. I do not like modern. I also need storage and that is taking away alot of it. The tressle table isnt bad actually

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How much in ballpark should semi custom cabinets cost me in middle of the road quality? I have approx 60 doors and drawers in total.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

15-25K for an average sized kitchen, depending on the choices you make staying middle of the road rather than going nuts with stacked cabinets and glass and a bunch of frou frau.

Except, I just checked your kitchen size. It's enormous. Not average. Double that estimate.

• thinkdesignlive
    7 years ago
    Darker tile floors to match the tone of your adjacent wood floors would go a long way.
  • shelleyuk
    7 years ago

Hi

In my view your dining furniture is dated and needs to be replaced.

I would then also remove the run of furniture in that dining area. Its too much with all the other cabinetry. Replace with something which is freestanding.

In terms of the kitchen area, the piece of wood above your island is odd and I'd take that out. I would also replace the handles on your cabinets. Potentially I'd replace the curved worktops to update them but I would imagine that's a fairly big cost. Then I'd run the flooring from your living area all the way through since I don't think that floor is doing the space any favours.

Other than that I'd declutter and re accessorise. Its a shame about the oven and microwave. I think if your oven was stainless steel it would have looked more up to date and wouldn't have jarred with the microwave. But it's not the end of the world and you can make it work.

joelcoqui thanked shelleyuk
  • shelleyuk
    7 years ago

To be honest, as soon as you remove the dining furniture you'll have made a massive improvement.

joelcoqui thanked shelleyuk
  • northface99
    7 years ago

I think your kitchen looks great as is. Agree that needs a little contrast...would start w/a new tile back splash - do you have any brighter colors in the living room like medium blue or orange or olive green? Am not a fan of graphic floors, so as a matter of personal taste and unlimited budget I would put in wood to match the LR, but I don't think that would change the feel of the kitchen as you want. With plain floors you could get some oriental runners to liven things up - something with big blocks of color, not little flowers. I would leave the cabinets alone and definitely not rip any out. Agree on new HW and new appliances if you wish, all matching.

joelcoqui thanked northface99
  • Jan
    7 years ago
    I don't you need any major changes. Look at the pictures you took. What hits you the most....
    Put away all those bottles, if you have to keep a few on a tray.
    Mount tv on wall and put some prints around that empty wall. Take off those square things.
    Get a new dining set, that one is definitely too modern and outdated. Declutter the counters. Renew your mantle decorations.
    Sometimes you live with something for so long you become blind to it.
    Once in a while I take everything off the counters and return only some of it. Certain things you use all the time like coffee pot or toaster should be left.
    joelcoqui thanked Jan
  • eageree
    7 years ago

Are you ready for more opinions and advice? :) I'd start with the dining table - it is the most dated item. If the light fixture over the table is more your style (it seems to go with other traditional items in the rooms shown) keep that. Maybe an area rug under the new table will anchor that area and break up all the white floor. I don't see anything wrong with your floor and kinda like your cabinets. Is that clear plastic on the handles - as someone else mentioned, dark handles would tie in with the other traditional items/dark light fixture. I know you said the handles would be the last thing you'd do, but it doesn't cost anything to purchase a few samples, try them out for ideas and then return them. These are things to start with that don't cost tens of thousands nor cause a lot of dust and disruption of life.

joelcoqui thanked eageree
  • jt7abcz
    7 years ago

Looking through your Ideabook, you've added a lot of photos with notes about millwork and it seems like your style preference leans traditional. Your living room is styled that way. Your kitchen fireplace and light fixture are both in your Ideabooks and are definitely traditional. As many others have said, your table and chairs are dated and used to be modern and the kitchen cabinets are more sleek.

I wonder whether building up traditional elements on the cabinetry with a very light touch would make the kitchen feel better to you? For example, adding crown moulding at the top of the uppers in a style similar to the bookcases in your living room. Maybe a very simple furniture leg added to the kitchen counter seating area. If they're wood cabinets, perhaps the existing doors and drawers can be routered to add depth if you don't care for the smooth finish.

Also, there was a suggestion to add artwork which you didn't seem keen on because it was modern. Please consider artwork with traditional references instead to warm up the space.

Even if you don't do any of those things, you have a beautiful kitchen.

joelcoqui thanked jt7abcz
  • er612
    7 years ago

What if you expand the upper cabinets in the dining area to hold the TV?

• carladr
    7 years ago

The first thing I noticed when I took a quick look at your photos was the floor. If there is a possibility of updating the flooring, I think that would go a long way towards creating a refreshed look. But, all in all, the kitchen is very nice.

• Paddy
    7 years ago

Like most others here, I think changing your table and chairs is imperative. However, I think some people are ignoring some issues that are not going to be easily overcome:

1. The cabinetry and counters have big rounded corners. You can't just go slapping some crown molding on it (which would look completely out of place) and expect it to look anything but wrong. This is a modern look - not a traditional look. You'll either have to accept that, or change them, which won't be cheap.

2. The floor...is dated. Your best option there is to continue the wood flooring in your living room into the kitchen, but decide what you're going to do with the cabinetry first.

3. Replace the dishwasher - it looks ancient and detracts from the kitchen. And yes, I'd replace the wall oven too (you can recoup some of your investment if you sell it on Kijiji) - replace all with stainless. If you do that, then at least the kitchen will be more cohesive.

4. As others have noted - remove everything from your countertops and the tops of the cabinets. You have oodles of storage, so should be able to do this without too much pain. Often, taking pictures of our spaces allows us to see them with new eyes - we too easily become blind to our environment.

5. Don't waste money refinishing/painting the cabinets if you don't actually LIKE them. And what are they anyway? They look like natural oak to me, but the photos aren't clear enough to tell. Do they have solid wood doors? Are the shelves and insides of the cabinets in good condition (ie: no sagging shelves etc.)? Are the boxes plywood or MDF? While switching out the hardware might make things look better, if the cabinets are worn and tired and you don't like them, you're just putting lipstick on a pig. If, on the other hand, they are good quality cabinets that just need a little TLC, and you can live with them, then go for it, but do some of these other things first (table, decluttering).

6. Replace the light colored countertops, which look like laminate to me (are they?) with the same granite you've used on the island, if you decide to keep the cabinets.

I think that you have to decide what you want to spend here - and how badly you dislike your cabinets. The table and decluttering are relatively inexpensive fixes as a start. And don't go buying something that's "trendy" now or it will look out of date in very short order, IMHO. Keep lines simple if you're keeping your cabinets - not fussy. You've got a traditional fireplace and mantle and adjoining room, so you need something that's going to blend well with that and the modern cabinets.

joelcoqui thanked Paddy
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, What color dinette set to get? black? I know that has to be replaced. as for the floor, its to gorgeous to get rid of and in perfect shape... besides its 750 sq feet... a project alone to take up. I dont like modern.

• Paddy
    7 years ago

I'd keep the table simple and a wood tone to complement the cabinetry, assuming you're keeping it. Something like this? https://www.houzz.com/products/arts-and-crafts-7-piece-dining-set-cottage-oak-prvw-vr~28644847 or this: https://www.wayfair.ca/Norfolk-7-Piece-Dining-Set-NOFK7-EWFR1493.html

• jdtm1
    7 years ago
    Colour of new dining furniture? My choice - similar to the colour of the floor in the living room. I believe more of that gorgeous dark colour would really create a "flow" from one room to the next. And I would add other pieces as well - me bar stools, perhaps mats/rugs with some of that colour, maybe frames or items in artwork, even hardware on your cupboards. Let's see what others think ....
  • eageree
    7 years ago

You like the floor so keep it. Don't change something you like just because houzz posters say to do so - it is still YOUR home. I agree with jdtm - a dining table that matches the living room floor - rich and warm. Go shopping for dining sets and see what appeals to you...and has comfortable chairs.

• lisa0527
    7 years ago
    - Replace the table and chairs with something like the dark trestle table someone posted above. I'd go with something leaning towards traditional, but very simple given the more modern feel of the cabinets.

- Change the dishwasher and wall oven to stainless.

- Remove the upper cabinets above the "buffet" and use the space to hang a large piece of art

-Replace the perimeter countertops with a light quartz with a crisp, straight edge

- A rug under the table will break up the expanse of white floors. Again, I'd go with a very simple traditional leaning rug.
  • janedoe2012
    7 years ago
    I would not spend money in this kitchen, other than replacing the furniture and the chandelier.

It is a somewhat dated, but very nice transitional, borderline modern kitchen. Trying to make it traditional will make it LESS attractive than it is now. There is nothing traditional about the kitchen, especially the floor.

If you liked the kitchen, and were willing to go with the existing style, it might be worth updating. But that doesn't appear to be the case. I think you should just enjoy a lovely kitchen that many people would love to have!
  • shelleyuk
    7 years ago

Putting a dark table next to those light cabinets will look out of place. Definitely not black.

• Kassondra Danae
    7 years ago

Looks nicer than my kitchen LOL!

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    The first thing I noticed in the kitchen were the dated floor, the wall of cabinets with counters that don't match the kitchen (what is the purpose of those cabinets?), the fixture which seems out of place with your modern cabinets and the cabinet hardware. I would replace your appliances when they need replacing and go with stainless. You have a lovely kitchen, I would address those issues and then reassess.
  • shelleyuk
    7 years ago

I think one of the issues is that you keep saying over and over OP that you don't like modern but your kitchen isn't traditional. Its actually "modern" from 20 years or so ago (which makes sense since that's roughly when you put it in).

I still think it could be very successful but you need to update it in the ways suggested above. The table and chairs and the hardware are an easy fix.

• km kane
    7 years ago
    Change the floor! Paint the walls a more intriguing color. Get rid of the tv from the counter. Get a black microwave to march the wall oven. The table and chairs look dated. A new light fixture would work wonders. Do change the floor, it's giving me a headache ;)
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    ...and what exactly is there to reconfigure on the fireplace mantle? What am I missing?
  • Paddy
    7 years ago

I think people were just suggesting that you should declutter/rethink what's on the mantle (not actually do anything to the mantle itself, which does match both the support column surround and woodwork in your living area). BTW - you still haven't told us exactly what those cabinets are made of (see my previous post) - everyone's advice would be a little more relevant there if we knew what quality/construction they are. Also, you mentioned potentially removing the half round lower cabinet, and this might look better, but you have to see whether that's possible. The end of the taller section may not be finished all the way down - depending on how your cabinets are constructed.

• PRO
    Monaco Custom Interiors
    7 years ago

I would definitely paint the cabinetry and change the counters so they all match, add some new handles and hardware (and appliances if there's budget) and you basically have a new kitchen for half the price or less of replacing it.

• jt7abcz
    7 years ago

Let's recap: You cook a lot, say the kitchen is 23 yrs old, used and abused, and the photographs make it look better than it is. You can't afford to re-do it all again. The outer Corian counters are in good shape, your oven and microwave are new. The walls have recently been painted a soft color. You want new glides, hinges and pulls and cannot hang pendant lights because of the I beam. You asked about possibly adding molding to the cabinet doors, chalk painting, possible colors and whether the floor is regarded as dated. You don't like modern.

Someone estimated $30-$50k for new semi-custom cabinets for your large kitchen. You have 750 sq ft in flooring - just picking a number out of the air - $8 sq/ft is $6k plus demo.

I would prioritize the parts that you say are abused, presumably the cabinets. You're open to painting - go for it! If you do it yourself, just go slow and do it properly.

My opinion stands about adding crown molding to the cabinets. Your traditional I beam column and fireplace mantle are 4-6' away from your sink. Crown will help make your spaces cohesive and can also be done by DIYers. Google it. Bullnose mitered cuts are trickier and can be used for the few rounded corners. Ceiling crowns can also be added.

Your cabinet glass looks dark in the photos, maybe consider changing to clear or bubbled glass. Also, consider removing the floating shelves with the metal pipe and moving those lights to the ceiling.

If you keep the floor and countertops, I think a warm brown or gray on the outer cabinets with the white Corian and white for the island.

Here's the view from your sink:

Serene Family Home · More Info

Contemporary Shaker Kitchen · More Info

Transitional white kitchen · More Info
    Note column and soffit crown

• shelleyuk
    7 years ago

What are your thoughts OP? It can feel a bit hurtful when people point out the issues with your home. You seem as though you might be a bit put out by some of the comments?

• Momof5x
    7 years ago

Your kitchen is fine, I would probably give it a new coat of paint colour, maybe change the chandelier to a lighter one, add new kitchen decors, like a big vase of flowers or jar of lemons next to sink counter, and other decors like a table center piece.

You could just add a table cloth and chair covers to add a fresh look. Just these changes will make your kitchen feel like new. Consider adding 2-3 stools near kitchen bar/sink area.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago

jtabtx thanks for paying attention to my wants and needs. Where would I put crown moulding above cabs.? They do not go to the ceiling. I had a pro come in and they said painting the cabs up wont change the style of them and painting em with chalk paint or regular paint can not upstand kitchen abuse. Can buy a new dinette set until I have a new color for the cabs in mind. Not changing light fixture ist a few years old and I love it and so does everyone else who walks into my home. I will try to post a close up photo of the cabs for folks who do not know true condition and style. They are a veneer and solid oak.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Look
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Look at condition of wood.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nothing lines up and all the hinges are loose

• acm
    7 years ago

Your original question was about the rounded piece of cabinet -- I think it adds character, and removing it would likely cause a crisis in repairing the flooring.

If your cabinets are falling apart, that's a big difference from just wanting to give it a facelift -- paint won't help with crappy structure. It might be worth seeing if a half day visit by a cabinet specialist could tune up all your hinges and make it feel decent again, in which case paint might give you the feel of a new kitchen, But otherwise you're looking at tens of thousands of dollars for all new cabinetry, so you have to assess your own budget and needs.

• shelleyuk
    7 years ago

OK, I'm not entirely sure what you want because you don't seem happy with some of the comments.

However, in your position with those cabinets of that age but unable to afford a new kitchen I would:

remove all doors and trim

remove rounded units and worktops

replace doors and hardware and add new trim and worktops (or possibly have them recut to take off the rounded corners).

add new flooring throughout

replace table and chairs

Your kitchen light fitting doesn't go wth your kitchen at present but you clearly love it and so by replacing the doors and trim you can get a style of kitchen more in keeping.

We did our large utility room by replacing the doors and worktop. It made an enormous difference for only a fraction of the cost of ripping the entire thing out and starting again.

• Paddy
    7 years ago

As I said before - adding crown moulding to these cabinets will look ridiculous; they are modern cabinets. Plus there is nowhere (existing) to properly attach the moulding. As for painting them, the pro you had in was mostly right - the paint will not stand up as well to the abuse a kitchen typically takes. Chalk paint will chip easily, and from what you've said you want your cabinets to look good, not worn/shabby chic. See: http://www.addicted2decorating.com/why-i-dont-use-chalk-paint.html 

If you still want to paint them, I'd recommend a water-borne alkyd, like Benjamin Moore's Advance. However, you'll have to do lots of prep - everything needs to be meticulously cleaned and then sanded, then primed and then painted with at least two coats. That's going to be a really time-consuming task. As to color, should you decide to undertake this, a light color is going to be best, but you'll have to take paint samples (and ultimately, I'd do large boards once you've narrowed things down) home and look at them in comparison to your tile, your woodwork, your walls and your appliances. WE can't tell you here, based on photographs, because the color balance and lighting of a photo drastically changes how all those elements look.

Also...back to the question you still haven't answered: what is the composition of these cabinets? Are they good quality plywood box/mdf box with solid wood doors and drawer front in good condition (ie: interior shelves aren't sagging, drawer boxes are not falling apart etc.? The fact that doors are sagging doesn't give me confidence - I don't know if the hinges need adjustment/replacement or if the hinge itself has slipped/grown loose in its moorings as sometimes happens with MDF. Replacing hinges and drawer slides is only worth the effort and the cost IF the cabinets themselves are worth it - and you like them well enough to keep them - painted or not.

The other thing you could do, far more inexpensively and with somewhat less work and better overall results, is refinish the cabinets with a couple of coats of poly. You could darken the color during this exercise, as stain can be added to the finish (and there are some finishes that are both stain and finish combined). This would still require sanding, but it would be far easier than painting them. Assuming that the inside of the cabinet doors is the same as the outside, you can take a couple of them and fool around on the inside - see what you like and what works.

• jt7abcz
    7 years ago

Just to clarify: you're saying the cabinets are veneer and solid oak. So the boxes are solid oak and the doors/drawer fronts are veneer?

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago

the horizontal strips are solid and the rest you see as vertical grain is a veneer.

• acm
    7 years ago

Also remember that when/if you paint or refinish your cabinets, you're going to need new panels for your fridge, if still available. Just factor that in.

You might want to look into refacing.

• jt7abcz
    7 years ago

What are the cabinets made of? (not the doors or drawers)

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wood. What do you mean?
  • shelleyuk
    7 years ago

The doors look like they have some sort of varnish or lacquer on them. That will make painting a difficult job.

What look do you actually *want* OP?

• jt7abcz
    7 years ago

The cabinet boxes can be made out of different materials, solid wood or engineered wood products like MDF, particle board, plywood. Solid wood can be sanded/stripped to completely remove paint and stain and are generally more sturdy. The engineered woods are compressed, fused mixtures.

Even if your cabinet boxes were sold as all wood doesn't mean they are solid wood. Look at chipped areas on the cabinet boxes (not the doors or drawers), Is it solid wood or do you see layers? Do the sides inside the cabinet boxes (not the shelves) have any blisters where they may have come in contact with liquids? Do you have any interior veneers that are loose? Can you take a picture of the inside of a worn cabinet near the hinges.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I believe the insides are a pressboard. Cheap stuff.
  • Paddy
    7 years ago

If the cabinets are indeed lower-end, then you really have to decide whether it's worth trying to do anything with them, other than giving them a good cleaning, adjusting the hinges if you can, and perhaps putting on new hardware as a stopgap. (and don't spend a lot on that!) You might want to try something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rejuvenate-16-oz-Cabinet-and-Furniture-Restorer-and-Protectant-RJ16CCLAM/100281460 - it's inexpensive and might help things look a little less tired. There is no point in putting on new doors/refacing if the cabinet boxes are cheaply made/not in good condition. If the drawer fronts and door fronts are veneer, with only the top rail solid oak, then this is very definitely lower quality cabinetry. As to the other things - a new kitchen table and chairs would definitely help. If you have the budget to replace the dishwasher with a stainless model and swap out the wall oven (sell the black one) for stainless, then all of those things can be reused when and if you have the budget to actually replace the kitchen cabinets with cabinets you like, and will help your kitchen look better now.

• jt7abcz
    7 years ago

If I'm understanding your wants and needs correctly, you're interested in changing the style of your cabinets. As your painter pointed out, repainting alone isn't going to change the style and you're now questioning your materials.

Instead of guessing at possibilities and costs, let professionals give you in-home estimates for different scenarios so you can make informed decisions. Shoot for the stars, get prices for new cabinets, then various combinations down from there and the pros and cons of each: new doors, existing boxes; crown molding (I know, I'm a diehard); new glass, hardware, etc. Use their expertise, ask whether your existing cabinets can/should be rehabbed and whether they can be painted, stained or resurfaced. Research their recommendations. Ask them what they would do personally if they were working on a tight budget. Based on their feedback, consider whether there are components that you can confidently handle yourself and save some money.

Once you see actual figures and the trade offs with each scenario, it will help you make decisions. You may surprise yourself and decide it's actually better to let professionals take care of some of it, put the whole thing to rest for the time being, or something in between.

Does that seem like a reasonable approach for you?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.