sara_jar

Front garden planters, plants and hedging

Sara Jar
7 years ago
I desperately need help picking some plants to place in some wooden planters i'm going to get made. The idea is to put the planters on the wall surrounding our front garden/driveway, so i'm limited by how big the planters can be, and hence what can go in them.

On the left side we want tall plants or hedging to a height of 0.8-1m, on the right side small plants, like maybe snowdrifts, lavender, some evergreens.

The biggest issue is finding the right thing for the privacy on the left side, i was set on bay laurel but i'm starting to think the planters are too small. Then i thought maybe a horsetail, fatsia japonica, or a hebe if there is a species that can get tall enough?

The actual wall is 22cm on the left and 26 on the right. The measurements i've drafted for the planters are: 30cm wide, 40cm high
The total length is around 1500cm, so i thought maybe split into 4 planters, 2 on each side around 350cm each. Or is it better to make smaller ones? Since the walls aren't very wide, they have to overhang inwards and be fixed by some screws or something like that.

I've attached a photo of my drawing for the plans, and some photos of the front, we're currently digging up to lay reclaimed york stone so the view is a little restricted. Also attached the sort of style planters i would like.

Any advice would be thoroughly appreciated!

Comments (23)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.