theliquidators

Re-purposing armoires

The Liquidators
11 years ago
I have a lot of armoires from The Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas and am looking for ideas to re-purpose them. I have already made one into a "bar" and have a idea for using them as hairdressing stations, but would like some more ideas. I am also running a contest for the coolest idea. Someone could win a armoire to make into their own fabulous idea. I will attach a pic of the armoire "naked" for your wonderful brains to work on!

Comments (130)

• anne dee
    11 years ago
    what about removing the doors and re-purposing them as a fancyish headboard on an appropriate size bed?
    what to do with the rest of the cabinet....I'll have to think about that :)
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    Monpere décor, now I know for sure I bought the wrong armoire!! I am certain though, that I will convert mine into a bar of sorts. that one looks great!
  • Related Discussions

Q

Comments (3)
    I would recommend a TVCoverup unit to hide the television behind a piece of your art. They're about half the price of the "roll up" hidden TV's or one way mirrors. TVCoverups.com
    ...See More

Need help with sofa choice for living room

Q

Comments (37)
    Hi, thanks for your comment. I totally agree - I actually have a large art print on order (vertical/ portrait orientation) and that will be replacing the mirror when it arrives. From previous comments I received everyone seems have different opinions on sofa choices but I think I'm pretty happy with the L shape one I've gone with - it fits the space a lot better (I think!) than the 3 & 2 seaters I previously had. I contemplated going with a different lighter sofa colour but practicality won in the end!
    ...See More

To put hob on kitchen island or not to put hob on kitchen island?

Q

Comments (28)
    Hi amfork, I went ahead & put the hob on my island & am delighted I did. I find it really is so much nicer looking out at the kids/my husband & being able to chat to them while I prepare meals as opposed to facing the wall with my back turned on everyone. I put a 4 ring induction hob on the island & put a 5 ring gas hob on counter facing wall. I did this as I have a large extended family & we frequently have get togethers. It’s great for catering for big events. However, I use the 4 ring induction hob on a daily basis. Hope this helps! Best of luck with your project, Claire
    ...See More

Whole house re-decor , for sale purposes

Q

Comments (33)
    Hello Duncan, They are good and I am biased as I don't use companies that don't provide trade discount... as I usually like to help my clients out... Here's a few images and an edging on a runner can be lovely too... I have also included one of a painted stair... So you have an option all of which are rather striking.... : )) x http://www.naturalrugstore.co.uk/coir-rugs.asp?gclid=Cj0KEQjwiKS3BRCU-7XQ75Te3NoBEiQAA2t_xPmcwAZ3TS0Qhq1t1hzYsP-r8oFgdC385qXO88eXioYaAjCE8P8HAQ The painted one... I would include the banister in this scenario..
    ...See More
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    How about making it into a graceful, rustic potting shed?
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    ...or a "kitty condo"
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    @Susan Jacobs Kitty condo that is very funny I laughed out loud. Good One. It should be #1 for the top choice!!
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    I was kind of kidding, but also serious... I have thought of getting one of those for my cats, but they are just too unattractive.
  • Susan Jacobs
    11 years ago
    By the way, can I win an armoire if I contribute an idea for the name of your product: BARMOIRE
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    I got it! After reading Susan Jacobs post of re purposing the armoire as a kitty condo what comes to mind when a kitty is mentioned. Birds of course.
    A large bird cage would fit in nicely and instead of covering the cage at night all you need to do is close the front doors. Opening at the back allows for the birdies to breathe :)
  • pgeis
    11 years ago
    @Susan Jacobs: Brilliant!
  • Torjie Sweeten
    11 years ago
    This Texan suggests a customized gun cabinet. Theres plenty of room for guns and accessories.
  • beautywithin
    11 years ago
    Hi everyone,

I haven't read through all the ideas but here are some of mine:

1)
    This can easily be converted into a discrete BABY CHANGE STATION suitable for any room of the house. Add padding onto the top 'shelf' for a baby change table. Store baby wipes, ointments, creams, etc. in the drawers, and stack diapers on the lower level with extra clothing changes. Hang mobiles from interior 'ceiling' so that baby can observe them while being changed.

2)
    Add little hooks onto the tops of the shelves for a LINGERIE CLOSET: hanging and folded lingerie will be stored in here for the luxurious lady's sexy collection. Hang a mini chandelier from the centre of the top. Add 2-3 boxed in spaces for 'bedroom slippers' (aka indoor heels and whatnot). Store delicates and unmentionables in the drawers, along with, perhaps, decorative 'little black book'. Very sassy.

3) JEWELERRY HANGING STATION featuring a locked exterior and/or a coded drawer (for more cherished items) while the others can be on display.

For 2&3, tiny lights can be added to the upper shelves (facing downward onto the items) for a showcase effect.

4) I also see this as a music cabinet and/or entertainment cabinet. Door can cue music when opened.

Let me know what you think!

Incidentally I loveee the Venetian and am excited to see one of their pieces outside of the venue. Enjoy!!
  • Karin S.
    11 years ago
    So cool! How sad I can not participate the contest for two reasons: all the good ideas are allready mentioned, and we do live in Switzerland... To ship the armoire would cost a fortune!
  • Scoti Clayton
    11 years ago
    I think if you laid the armoire down flat on its back, it could make a very interesting Bed!
  • pgeis
    11 years ago
    @Scoti -- Hmm -- or maybe a coffin?
  • PRO
    The Liquidators
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    ok!!!! A coffin????? LOL
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    A coffin? okay as a mass burial of small critters!
  • Kendra Sewell
    11 years ago
    You should checkout WAR DOG SAFE Company. They make a low profile, high end safe (biometric) where you can store valuables, guns, jewelry, etc. This would be a great location if they fit.
  • Paulina V.
    11 years ago
    Here are two examples of how others have constructed a kitchenette, or a pantry in "armoire"-format. TV armoires are currently cheap at recycling centers and flea markets, sometimes even left on the curb, so I've been looking for some kind of inspiration for what to use these for. I might consider converting them into closets for kids, with a bar for hanging clothes and drawers. And they seem to have that "Narnia" look to them. Or even make the top portion into a "stage" and add toys and dolls and props into the lower portions of this dresser for a complete playset to a kids' room. My most likely approach might end up being a craft cabinet, with things I want to be able to hide out of sight when guests come by.

Culshaw Bell, Complete Kitchenette · More Info

Showroom Display · More Info

(I honestly don't know what exactly I'd do with one of these before I have a house of my own to put it in. Heck, if I get really "gaga" about these, and get my hands on a less fancy armoire, I might have the doors partially replaced with chicken wire and made into a chicken coop...)
  • gypsyrose17
    11 years ago
    Create a secret room...Cut the front off and the cut back part in half, re-attach front to back at front sides with hinges...put latch on middle back of it...install as the door to anywhere...when you open it will look like a closet...whatever, but you will be able to unlatch the back and go through to your secret room.
  • PRO
    L Star Murals
    11 years ago
    @gypsyrose17- This idea is briliiant!
  • PRO
    Designer Kitchens & Baths Inc.
    11 years ago
    We remodeled ours by placing a mirror over the hole in the back, having a piece of granite cut for the shelf, adding a wine glass holder and puck lights. It makes a fantastic bar. The bottom shelves can store additional glasses or other bar accessories. Will post a picture when I go home tonight.
  • PRO
    The Liquidators
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    First of all, let me Thank all of you so much for your wonderful ideas.
    We certainly were impressed with the feed back from this great HOUZZ community!

Secondly, the judges were stumped with 3 choices for first place so they decided to give away 3 armoires.
    And finally, we are pleased to announce the winners of our Re-Purposing Armoires Contest......in no particular order!

Drum roll please........

:) "KB" from the USA
    K B Not cool or original but useful--Modify your bar idea and it would make for a great kitchenette in a master bedroom. Add a keurig and a microwave in addition to existing minifridge and stock accordingly.

:) "DIAspoton" from the USA
    DIAspoton a PET ctr for food,treats,toys,leashes,training books,show schedules,awards,extra beds

:) "Barnhart Gallery" from Massachusetts, USA
    Barnhart Gallery Baby changing station! I always hated that thing someone gave me that you put the poopie diapers in so that they don't smell, because I have an aversion to anything plastic or that looks mass produced. (It can be, it just can't look like it was.)

So, the fridge section hides that thing, drawers contain all of the supplies, and the tv opening is either mirrored, covered with an upholstered board, or has art/wallpaper. Once out of diapers, it becomes a toddler wardrobe, with a bar across the top section.

The exterior can be any multitude of colors and treatments to fit a child's room. It's already halfway there for a princess room, and could become stately argyle for a preppy boys room...

Honorable mentions:

Susan Jacobs How about making it into a graceful, rustic potting shed?
    Stephanie Ouyoumjian a pupet show theater
    The Rusted Nail how about a custom fish aquarium. Tank is "L" shaped and fits into the TV and Fridge spots

A couple of notes for you. As we received a lot of "doubles" for ideas, we took the first person to post the idea as the winner of that idea.
    Contest winners receive one armoire (VEN107) from The Liquidators. Shipping is not included. (But who doesn't need a reason to come to Las Vegas!)
    Winners please contact us at 702-207-6448 or via email at theliquidators@hllinc.com to claim your prize.
  • PRO
    The Liquidators
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We will be puttng some of these ideas to use at The Liquidators. I will post photos when they are done!
  • gypsyrose17
    11 years ago
    Dear Liquidators...this was a fun challenge...really enjoyed reading the creativity and vision from all the "houzzers".
  • PRO
    The Liquidators
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I couldn't agree more gyspyrose17. Thank you for your input as well!
  • 14janet
    11 years ago
    I think it would make an awesome jewelry / scarf/ accessory cabinet.....You could add flat tie racks for necklaces,Decorative hooks for scarves...etc. Have Fun with it.
  • littlegeneral21
    11 years ago
    There is one idea I didn't see.

A compact home GYM. I don't have the luxury of a room dedicated to a home gym, but an armoire custom fit to hold all the gear would be ideal. Weights, yoga mats, blocks, rubber tubing, towels, water bottles & tuck a bosu ball on the bottom & your set. Once your workouts done, close the doors & relax!
  • shawng63
    11 years ago
    @littlegeneral21 -I suggested that idea. Check out shawng63 on 4/7. There is even a link to a cool compact gym.
  • coto893
    11 years ago
    I would make it a gift wrap heaven. I would add a pull out shelf to make wrapping packages easier. The gift wrap paper roll holders would be affixed on the back of the Armoire. I'd attach peg shelves to the inside of the doors to one to hold ribbon the other to hold assorted gift bags. One peg would hold a small tin bucket or mason jar to hold scissors and pens. The drawers can house the tissue paper and gift tags and another for bows and embellishments. Tape would sit on the shelf that would pull out. Gifts could be stored inside until party time. Let me make one and I promise you'll want to become a professional gift wrapper.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    Thank you Liquidators!

I've contacted NV child services to see if there's a deserving local foster family who can put it to great use. Will keep you in the loop. If they can't use it, the local chapter of the House Rabbit Society is looking for a rabbitat -- wouldn't they love this!

You have some nice items on your site for anyone looking to upcycle. Especially the beds and tables from the Venetian.
    http://www.theoriginalhotelliquidators.com/page4.php
    Cheers!
  • PRO
    The Liquidators
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow Barnhart Gallery, THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH for donating this piece to either a family who could use it or for your really great idea of a rabitat. It is much appreciated. The Liquidators
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    A Bunny Hutch!! AWW!
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    years ago at the beginning of this thread :) I suggested that I would convert my old armoire into a liquor cabinet, which might still happen if and when the current TV is kaput. But now I am considering the idea of another armoire (but unfort. I did not win :)) for clothing..yes, clothing. because my closets need to be restored and I don't the funds. My closets were redone by former owners and they are really awful. A nice armoire would work very well. sigh sigh :)
  • suzanne_m
    11 years ago
    I love the idea of a coffee station in the bedroom. Imagine waking up to the smell of coffee instead of the alarm clock :)
  • K B
    11 years ago
    Wow! Just saw my idea was one of the three selected as a winner. Finally I can justify all the time I spend on HOUZZ to my husband. Thanks Liquidators you made my day:)
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    Congrats K B!!!!!! good for you!!!!!! now you have something you can use for the next 50 years!!! :)
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Shut the front door. This is fabulous!
    The Liquidators thanked purehome
  • PRO
    The Liquidators
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yup, and they are only $95!
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    I love the ideas to use it as a jewelry chest. I'd put a safe in the lower corner and line the drawers with velvet. A strip of hooks on the inside door for long necklaces and I love the mirror on the back idea. What a beautiful piece and your transformation The Liquidators is beautiful. Well done.
    The Liquidators thanked Maguire
  • PRO
    The Liquidators
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That would be one amazing jewelry chest!
  • PRO
    Monkig--Custom Jewelry/Watch Drawer Insert
    9 years ago
    We make velvet lining jewelry drawer inserts if you still need them.
  • PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just fantastic!

• Beckicu Cuellar-Han
    8 years ago

Install an ironing center & have storage for laundry/dry cleaning and shoes....

Better yet make the whole thing into a shoe closet!

• PRO
    Creative Home Engineering
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We don't actually recommend retrofitting an existing armoire for this purpose (because of stability) but we have made some really interesting Armoire Secret Passageways.

• PRO
    Vibrant Vision
    8 years ago

Gorgeous and fun!

• Boomers775
    8 years ago
    Fancy meeting you here Creative Home. Old post but you made it current. Lol
  • PRO
    Creative Home Engineering
    8 years ago

Haha yeah haven't been on for a few years and was catching up. Realized I posted on a few older ones though :-D

• lsemartha
    8 years ago
    A great opportunity to turn into a 'guest breakfast bar'. Mini fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee pot. Guests will love you for it!
  • Barbara Ward
    6 years ago

Two ideas #1. convert to a Murphy bed and #2. make it a Sewing Center with a pull out shelf for the sewing machine or a drop-down table for the sewing machine. I would love this myself but unable to created on my own

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.