Looking for paint colors ideas for my dark Great Room

Becky
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

becky_forcht's ideas · More Info

Multiple additions/renovations to this "new to us" home have left the great room with limited natural light. We are remodeling this space and I need some help! Room dimension is 30x30 with 8 foot ceilings; fireplace on the north wall has large windows on each side. Only light on the east wall is a glass door and sidelight. South wall leads to other parts of the home. On the west wall there is 4'x4' opening (former window) in the kitchen area and a 15' opening to an enclosed deck/sunroom that provides lots of bright light later in the day but diffused light earlier in the day. I'm having difficulty coming up with wall colors for the fireplace wall and the east wall. The south and west wall space is minimal so will be easy to finish out with my other color choices. Hardwood floor is a brighter mid-tone brown with golden highlights. Kitchen cabinets are a mid-darker brown tone to blend with window trim. Fireplace is a stacked travertine. Large kitchen island is Black Fusion; other countertops are Magma; backsplash is travertine planking. Planning on white baseboards, doors, and plantation shutters; oil-rubbed bronze hardware. I like neutral colors with spots of color. Inspiration piece for accent colors is a picture we'll hang over the fireplace that has dulled orange, dark olive greens, black, frame is black with filets in gold. Any ideas?

Comments (21)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.