jonathan_ekwe

These walls look too plain beside Red Brick wall, any ideas please?

Jonathan Ekwe
6 years ago
The walls on both sides of the back red brick wall look too blank, they are a slight off white, soft taupe colour. Any ideas on what to do?

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    6 years ago
    I would probably paint the brick... maybe taupe or darker. Add some art on the walls. That brick wall really could turn into a nice focal point.
    Featured Answer
  • dclostboy
    6 years ago
    You need either texture or color...a cool wall sculpture or artwork
  • Amy Cali
    6 years ago
    I'd play up the industrial feel of the brick and add some vintage warehouse type art to the plain walls. Something like an oversized clock, cogs, wheels and gears, maybe even a vintage porcelain or metal sign.
  • Amy Cali
    6 years ago
    I'd keep the wall paint neutral but would go two shades deeper than current color. I feel the wall color looks great in the first pic but too stark in the other two pics.
  • Amy Cali
    6 years ago
    Shelves like these would be perfect for behind your couch:
  • Jonathan Ekwe
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks guys for all the great suggestions.
  • chookchook2
    6 years ago
    Support a struggling artist by buying their work, or help the environment and buy vintage. Cheers
  • Alexander Makarov
    6 years ago
    I'd play with edges a bit to make transition more interesting.
  • Alexander Makarov
    6 years ago
    As for the light walls themselves, these are perfect for simple contrast art.
  • PRO
    Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
    6 years ago
    The wall that juts out to the right of the television would be cool featuring a darker paint color, covered with stacked wood slats or anything that would bring it up to the texture that the brick wall brings to the room's décor.
    You also need a taller piece of furniture such as a bookcase on the other wall. Everything else there is low. A piece with height would help.
    Hope that helps- Best wishes.
  • jenniferdietrich
    6 years ago
    I would paint the wall only behind the tv a dark charcoal or very dark putty color, leaving the other walls as is. This would help to wrap the boldness of there'd brick around the corner and depth.
  • chapstick049
    6 years ago
    Paint the walls a darker shade. There is simply not enough contrast between the wall colour and light floors. Might I suggest hc-105 (Benjamin Moore) Rockport Gray
  • chookchook2
    6 years ago
    All in all we're just another brick in the wall. Put up a framed pink floyd poster.
  • chloe169
    6 years ago
    I agree deepen the color, don't change it and yes art art art! maybe lessen the presence of the brick with the earlier suggestion of the metal cogs its and use traditional artwork pics/nature/paintings on the painted wall. I also like the idea to paint the part of the wall that juts out in a darker shade of the same color. Now you have lots to consider and lots to dismiss as well. Good luck and have fun
  • chookchook2
    6 years ago
    Especially have fun
  • jpp221
    6 years ago
    Grass cloth is a great way to add texture. It's not like the 70s stuff. There are more variations in colour and texture now.
  • libradesigneye
    6 years ago
    Since your brick has light grout and your window frames are also light I'm saying keep the wall tone. I echo the advice to could paint the bump out and sides( between the tv and shelves) in a mid-tone neutral - like chocolate and the shelving and put a terrific art focal point here - even a starburst mirror could work well.
  • jlynb
    6 years ago
    @libradesigneye, I wonder if you would take a look at my design dilemma question about siding on my cape cod style home? You should be able to find it by clicking on my name. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Newbridge Heating Centre
    4 years ago

A good quality wood burning stove against the brick wall would be a good way of adding definition. I have added a photo to give you some food for thought. Alternatively maybe a gas fie in the white wall.

• PRO
    Anna Finnegan Design
    4 years ago
    The contrast is to much, in my opinion. By painting opposing walls in darker tones will give the room an over all harmonious feel.
Ireland
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.