marnieanne

Continued tile concerns!

marnieanne
7 years ago
45,000 dollar tiny bathroom remodel. Does this alignment seem ok for high end remodel?

Comments (178)

• Wendy
    7 years ago
    Well done Island Stone.
    marnieanne thanked Wendy
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Island stone has been very responsive throughout this experience. I appreciate their input and their willingness to speak to me. Their offer is incredibly generous. As stated throughout, their tile is gorgeous and the tile itself has never been an issue. Thank you!

• Related Discussions

Tile/border help!

Q

Comments (1)
    If you want the look in the showroom photo, you need to do all tile in the same direction. If you started with vertical, you need to stick with vertical. It might be a blessing in disguise since it will make your ceilings appear taller. On the floor, make the long end of the tile run with your longest wall.
    ...See More

need help with new wet room tiles

Q

Comments (12)
    http://houzz.com/photos/3642990 This link kind of demonstrates the use of mosaics and the mirror idea I thought may be cool. Obviously they are vertical but I think it would work either way. Any pics of your tiles? I have seen your other post and know your suite is 'traditional' but another thing to consider I guess is the cost of the mosaics. £££ using lots may mean a big dent in your budget.
    ...See More

Handmade cement bejmat tiles not sealed or impregnated & chipping

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi guys, I need some help. I bought handmade cement bejmat Moroccan tiles for both bathroom and kitchen walls. They were installed the other day and grouted however the tiler forgot to impregnate them or seal them. Some of them have also chipped meaning water can get on the cement part of these chipped tiles. Can I seal and impregnate these tiles now that they are already installed? And have you any idea on how I'd prevent more chipping? And repair the ones that are chipped already? My main concern on the chipping is that water will get in and start to erode other tiles etc and who knows where they problem will stop tbh. Plus they don't look as they should too so it's not as aesthetically pleasing unfortunately. Here's a photo of one of the walls where you will see the small chips in some of them! Thank you in advance, Katie :)
    ...See More

Are Victorian Tiles suitable for a shower?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I want to use Original Style Victorian tiles in my ensuite. The area is small, so I want to run the tiles into the shower. Floor is slightly sloped to one side within the shower area, where there is a long drain, therefore the tiler said there will be no problem with laying the tiles. However, he questioned their suitability for a shower floor. I am happy with the slip rating, but concerned that water and soap, etc. may damage the tiles. Has anyone any experience with using them on a shower floor?
    ...See More
  • greenyogini
    7 years ago

Great pros to the rescue! (@Island Stone) One of the reasons I come to Houzz first! Looking forward to seeing an update soon that shows the glorious re-do! :D You picked a gorgeous tile!

marnieanne thanked greenyogini
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@greenyogini I am going to use a different tile. Under the circumstances, I need a change, as when it's completed I don't ever want to have to think about this again! I am presently getting a bid and the tile layer walked in and gave a big sigh. Then put his glasses on and said, "I'm sorry I put my glasses on!", noting that the more he looked the more problems he saw. So I am in the process of picking a new tile. Even with island stones generous offer of a subsidy, I think I am going to steer clear of glass.

I am still in some weird state of limbo with the GC's. They sent us that contract which would release us from a very small final payment in exchange for never talking about this, even in private etc... I sent a counter offer on October 8th and haven't heard back from them.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is going on with them!

• wantsideas
    7 years ago

"marnleanne" They continue to show you and tell you who they are. That time gap is just them running out the clock on any fake warranty. They are hoping you just go away and live with an expensive bathroom that is not professional looking and probably not functional or meets code. Get it fixed properly and then decide your course of action. Document everything. Thank you for the updates and I'm sorry..this must be very stressful.

marnieanne thanked wantsideas
  • shiningautumn888
    7 years ago
    They probably aren't going to do anything unless a court orders them too. You can send a letter saying you are following up on your letter of xx date, and please respond to you by such and such date.
    marnieanne thanked shiningautumn888
  • cineus
    7 years ago
    Need to stick with the issue, not the cost. This tile install is hideous. It is unacceptable. I hope you haven't paid for this.
    Don't accept the job
    marnieanne thanked cineus
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh I paid alrighty!

• User
    7 years ago
    I am continually dumbfounded by what your dealing with. I do not understand how anyone can treat someone like this. I had a part timer at Ace go out of her way to find me a $1.70 item and call me to let me know she found it in the back and wouldn't need to special order. If she can do that then why can't anyone...I have to stop here or I will descend into obscenities. I hope this works out, the stress has to be crazy. Great job on recording things.
  • godoggoone
    7 years ago
    Marnieann I cannot believe the GC has done this to you. Confidentiality statement? Oh hella no! They took your money, and left you with a job you will have to pay for again. Not to mention the continued trauma. If they do not refund the total tile and labor cost, well, it'd be on like donkey kong. I could not keep my mouth shut. And I'd tell people ....."and to think our first experience was wonderful! .....I know, right, bless their hearts, insanity must run in their family! "
    Continued sympathy to you and righteous indignation to your GC
    marnieanne thanked godoggoone
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I finally have a second bid for redo which comes in at around $10,000. Sadly, the bid doesn't include demo as this tile company is concerned that removal of the glass tile, mirror and cabinet is going to cause damage; "I am concerned that the vanity cabinet or the bathroom floor, or the mirror, or the finished
    walls, etc. will be damaged in spite of thorough protection and care."

My last communication with GC included this "
    "_________ agrees to provide (me) with all manufacturer's
    information, including warranties and purchase receipts, related to any
    and all materials used in the remodel including, but not limited to,
    fixtures, cabinets, and mirror. __________ further agrees to
    cooperate with (me) in making any necessary warranty claims
    against a manufacturer.”

They have not responded so i don't even have warranties for the mirror which was broken during installation. Or anything for that matter. I have not said anything publicly yet and there are pictures of my bathroom posted on Houzz. I would like to comment with some of the pictures of the work but have not.

Anyway, It seems as if I need to find a good demo company for starters. This is all so stressful! It's tempting to just complete what exists and live with a horrible tile job.The bathroom is not completed. I have a pony wall half tiled. The grout is a mess. This is such a horrible experience.

Any suggestions about demo?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

I just got this call again. Lady is very unhappy with her tile work that's taken 3 months. I've been helping her, for free, address her concerns with her contractor. She emailed me a copy of the letter she sent them, I edited it, and we're awaiting their response.

The time before when I got this call, I redid the whole shower, time and material. The time before that, the "contractor" was stupid enough to do plumbing in Florida without a license and took all the money up front. He was charged with fraud and unlicensed contracting. I'd like to say my customer got all her money back, but she didn't pay me anything either so she's not my customer, although she did get all her money back.

• marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@josephcorlett,llc. I'm not sure what you are advising me to do?

• sunnydrew
    7 years ago
    Joseph Cornett, what call is "this call" can you please post your comment so we can understand your context? You make it sound like you are the contractor trying to help the original poster and it seems misleading.
    I do not understand your point either.
  • jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    NO!!!!!
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Because "this call" is not from me. And I am not that "lady". Mystified!

• sunnydrew
    7 years ago
    Jbtanyderi, you are not helping much either.
    Marnianne, it seems that you just have to work hard to pull the helpful info out of all these posts. I think most people are sincerely feeling you pain during this project.
    I hope it all works out for you,
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

I am always sorry when I'm not clear and for that I apologize. I was trying to make the point that "this call" is quite common, particularly with tile work. Tile setting used to be a job that a man could do and support a family in a middle class lifestyle. The lack of need to speak English to lay tile and the constant "Always get three bids" mantra has laid the minefield that the OP finds herself in. There is no middle class lifestyle at $2.00 per square foot.

If marnieanne has used a licensed contractor, she may have some leverage by making a formal complaint with the state against his license, but I doubt it. The state rarely indulges esthetic complaints, if at all.

• jjwriter_99
    7 years ago

Marnieanne: It sounds like you used the same GC I used! SIMILAR ISSUES & BEHAVIOR. Still ongoing. Can you say what city/state this occurred? I wonder if they are the same.

marnieanne thanked jjwriter_99
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am in Seattle Washington. I am moving forward and have found a demo company willing to do the work. The demo is going to cost $5000 and I have a feeling by the time all this is done all the work will be closer to $20k. This has been ongoing for a year now! The original GC's have not responded to my counter claim in OCTOBER! (see above) in which i asked for warranties and purchase receipts for all materials. I need to send them a letter so they have in writing what their botched tile job is costing me. I know I will not get reimbursed, I am just trying to protect myself from them in case of a law suit because, according to them, I owe them slightly less than $4000. What bothers me the most is that, even with the obviously botched job, second opinion and photo documentation they have not even apologized and are so bold as to advertise my bathroom on this website as "spa style".

• wantsideas
    7 years ago

Thank you marnleanne for keeping us updated. I wish you the best and hope that you get a honest and qualified contractor to finish this project for you. Ouch that they are so bold as to advertise your bathroom in that condition. I can't even imagine such losers.

marnieanne thanked wantsideas
  • KK Johnson
    7 years ago
    Please tell us that you have retained a lawyer and will be suing the stuffing out of them?!
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The thought of suing someone is so daunting! I understand now why people don't come forward sometimes. I can't stand the thought of seeing these people again!

• KK Johnson
    7 years ago
    Well if you haven't signed their disclosure documents or paid them the remaining 4K then you may be headed to court either way.
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That is true! In which case it would be a jury trial!

• Diane
    7 years ago
    marnieanne,

Lawsuits are rarely the positive solution that they may appear to be on tv. Having been involved in three in my life time the dollar and emotional cost erases any victory. In addition any monies won is often offset by legal costs. I would only consider legal action if your case is perfect and you have the time and money to fight. I wish you the best of luck and am so sorry to hear your joy at updating your space is now such a source of stress.
  • User
    7 years ago

Just did a search for waveline, pretty sure i went thru all glass tile bathrooms in seatle. After an hour of searching could not find youre bathroom. so maybe youre posting's had them remove it.

• marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Diane. I'm doing everything I can to avoid a lawsuit. It is not what I want and as I said I don't want to ever see these people again.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

marnieanne:

Most of your strength will come from the leverage the internet provides, instead of that of a lawyer. When people are searching for contractors, they don't necessarily dismiss contractors who have complaints, but are interested in how the contractor handled the complaint. You must arm their potential customers with incredibly awkward sales-costing questions to ask them. They are going to try the eye-roll, shoulder shrug, "Hey everyone gets a nutball now and then" defense, so you must appear as reasonable as possible.

When enough salesmen gripe to the Sales Manager that you're a sales-costing objection they can't overcome, you may get the come-to-Jesus settlement you're looking for.

• marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So, the demo has been done and the new tile guy is here. No surprise to find that the shims were done only halfway down the wall and that the niche was placed directly over electrical cables which leaves the cables dangerously tight in places. I know somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that they would be worried about the work that couldn't be seen and they were absolutely right! The poor workmanship is behind the scenes as well.

• marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh. And there's more. The faucet for the bath was put in improperly which is why the cuts around the faucet showed and created a situation where it had to be be grossly over-caulked.

• printesa
    7 years ago

I hope you will be able to get some money back..in a way, this was a good thing in the sens that you didn't end up with mold, crumbling structures and who knows what else..I always wonder how some of these people who act and proceed the way your contractor did can sleep at night..

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Glad you found this out now, even thought it is a royal pita!! But now hopefully, you have the knowledge and support to get it done properly so you don't have even bigger problems down the road.

• marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Actually so relieved. The current contractor said the work was so poorly done that we would've ended up more serious problems in the future.
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I do not however see money back in my future!
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    7 years ago

Well you are finally on your way to the bath you wanted. Glad it's turned the corner. Sad it had to happen the way it did.

• jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    That's just plain sloppy.
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Teaser: this is what I picked for new tile! When it's done I'll post pics and link to before photos which are posted on houzz by so far anonymous GC's.
  • printesa
    7 years ago

That is a beautiful tile

• greenyogini
    7 years ago

Marnieanne, that's gorgeous! My stomach still turns for you in your situation, though. I cannot believe contractors can get away with that - and it's the reason I'm always so conflicted about finding someone to do work around my house!

• marnieanne
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    My new tile is finally in! What a nightmare with horrible general contractors who absolutely refused to accept responsibility for shoddy workmanship. This time I used a tile company and hired a demo and remodeling company that the tile company recommended. I'm happy with the outcome but, wow, I hope I learned something?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Lovely. So sad you had such a trial. But all is well. Love your floating shelves too.
    marnieanne thanked Flo Mangan
  • printesa
    6 years ago

The bathroom looks lovely! It's unfortunate that you had to go through all that nightmare. Those people need to pay one way or another

• PRO
    GannonCo
    6 years ago

Looks great!! Horrible way to get to an end product.

I still stand by my comment in regards to glass decorative tile used for entire walls is the wrong way to go in a shower. It takes experience with the product and skill which most day laborers don't have. Even skilled labor will caution against it. You see these installs in high end homes where remodels are done more frequent so the product does not need to hold up. Large grout lines not intended for a shower but are necessary for installation equals a bad end install.

Glad you are happy but I would still seek the advise of an attorney as depending on how that contract was written and who was hired out for those installs you might still be on the hook for additional payments. Most attys offer free initial consult.

• marnieanne
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm still hammering out my response to gc's. One thing in the contract they last sent was remaining fees would be waived if I never talked about them. Obviously, I already have here though not by name. I am out quite a bit of money in comparison to what I owe them. I think if it went to court I have a good case but that is not how I want to spend my next couple years involved in some stupid legal battle. I'm too old.
  • PRO
    415 design+build
    6 years ago

As a firm that does both high and lower end products, no. Not for any of our clients.

• marnieanne
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not sure what you are referring to?

415 Design+Build
    6:49 PM
    As a firm that does both high and lower end products, no. Not for any of our clients.
  • PRO
    415 design+build
    6 years ago

in re: to your header, is this acceptable for a high end remodel

marnieanne thanked 415 design+build
  • marnieanne
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you!! So nice to get confirmation that the work is unacceptable! The GC's never did accept responsibility or acknowledge their shoddy workmanship.
  • User
    6 years ago
    Tell them to fix it or you will review them by name with photos from Houzz to Yelp and make sure everyone knows to stay away.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.