david997

hardwood floors - direction of boards

dave s
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help.

We are renovating a condo for my parents. I have attached the floorplan. The designated areas on the graphic are where we are putting hardwood floors. They are nice long (6') engineered boards in a relatively light wood colour.

The issue is which way to run the boards. I have outlined three options and posted images here:

Here are the floorplans and options (you can view the pdf or the images online - I have tried to make this easy).

Option A is what is usually advised, but my mother worries that the short boards in the halls will not be attractive.

Option B runs the boards across the main living/dining room, and the installer and contractor feel that will shrink the room.

Option C changes direction in an attempt to get the best of both worlds, but a change in direction might look odd.

And what do we do with the bedrooms?

Thanks! Feeling a little helpless because we need to decide asap!!

Dave

Comments (5)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.