teresazhu

Cracked kitchen cabinet doors

teresazhu
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We had our kitchen cabinets installed about a year ago (whole house was renovated about a month before the cabinets were installed). 5 month after the cabinets were installed, we ordered another cabinet from same company(same design, same paint).

About 6 months after the first batch of cabinets were installed, we started noticed cracks on the doors on the first batch. It might happened earlier. We were busy with out door renovations, we might just missed them. Some of them are hairline cracks, but some of them are very severe. Like the crack shows in this picture, it is as wide as 2 mm and I can see the joint.

No matter the doors have big or small cracks, all the doors expended. As show in this picture, they expended more in the middle and less on the edge. There are 2 doors I can not close because they are too tight.

The second batch of the cabinets look fine until now.

We contacted the cabinet company. They said they ordered the doors from a big local company. The door company start to say it is all because the "dramatic humidity change at customer home".

We have a humidifier and the humidity was kept around 40% -45% during the winter. I renovated the whole house and all the solid wood floor, baseboard, door/window frame and doors (including those at kitchen) have no cracks or noticeable expansion. Consider the money we spent on the renovation, we definitely tried to maintain everything in a good condition.

Can any one provide any suggestion how this happened and how should I deal with the cabinet door company?

Thanks

Teresa

Comments (5)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.