jeanette4943

Our new Kitchen

jeanette4943
8 years ago
We have a 3.5m plus .5m end returns glass splash back in the Kitchen. It's quite a bright green and we feel it needs toning down. We've tried painting the wall above, but it hasn't really done the trick We'd really like to change the colour, but have been told that it's very difficult to remove the splash back. My question is, can we cover the splash back with acrylic, or tiles, or possibly brushed aluminium. I would greatly appreciate some advice on this.

Photo attached. Thanks in advance. Jeanette Taylor

Comments (27)

• dohraime
    8 years ago
    A Metaline splashback is thin and could probably be applied over the top. I'm not certain about tile but if that's possible, there are thin tiles (3mm) available. If it were my splashback, I'd be keeping it green. :)
    jeanette4943 thanked dohraime
  • bigreader
    8 years ago
    It is prob worth doing properly. Removing it is an easy DIY job. Then a plasterer to patch or resheet. Then a tiler to do new splashback or you can DIY a Bunnings glass substitute splashback.
    jeanette4943 thanked bigreader
  • Maye B
    8 years ago
    A couple of things I would do and have seen done.
    Option 1: use a piece flat sturdy piece of metal such as aluminium flat bar and slide it everywhere behind the glass and loosen the glue from the gyprock then remove .
    Option 2: paint a protective plastic paint on the glass and smash it. Cover everything around such as floor & appliances and sinks etc first.
    And Best Idea,
    Option 3: depending on what colour replacement you are looking at stick new glass over the top of existing glass.
    jeanette4943 thanked Maye B
  • denise595
    8 years ago

Maybe paint it with chalkboard paint? Not sure how this handles heat.. you could get a thin piece of stainless steel made to cover this section?

jeanette4943 thanked denise595
  • PRO
    Colour Confidence Interiors
    8 years ago

Hi Jeanette,

I love Julie's wallpaper idea.

It is counter-intuitive, but the way to overcome a colour you don't like is to cleverly bring in more of it and then hit it with pops of the opposite colour - such as bright pink. Maybe a tropical leaf pattern or a more traditional lattice?

Personally, I love the chinoiserie wallpaper.

Have fun with the green.

Michelle

jeanette4943 thanked Colour Confidence Interiors
  • jeanette4943
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you very much for all the ideas put forward to help with ideas to tone down the green glass splash back. I particularly like the idea of wallpaper above the splash back and possibly a white shelf.
  • 7weed1
    8 years ago
    I really like how it looks now. Flicking through the dilemmas it was your photo that made me stop. It was a Wow moment. Embrace it (if you can) it's really funky.
    jeanette4943 thanked 7weed1
  • jeanette4943
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, I wasn't expecting that, but thank you. It's comforting to know that the colour does appeal to some people.

• antquadebigpond
    8 years ago

I love the green splashback, but not the paint shade above - perhaps it is just the photo or the lighting. Try a different tone or a white wall and it may look a lot better.

jeanette4943 thanked antquadebigpond
  • PRO
    SG2 architects + interiors
    8 years ago

Hi Jeanette,

yours looks very similar to a kitchen I did several years ago: https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/light-house-townhouse-contemporary-kitchen-melbourne-phvw-vp~11401111

I used an off-white as a backdrop wall colour and think the combination still works well today. The green is not too strong in my opinion and gives the space a good balance overall (it also happens to be my favourite colour).

I'd personally avoid using wallpaper, bear in mind it's over a cooking space and will probably become sticky over time too if you're using gas hotplates.

Good luck with it all!

jeanette4943 thanked SG2 architects + interiors
  • KK1000
    8 years ago
    I like green just paint wall white same as your cabinets or white with a bit of gray in it. It looks so fresh and unique,get a red toaster or any colour you like it would make you smile every time you look at the kitchen.
    jeanette4943 thanked KK1000
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    I love the green, I would have it, but would paint the wall white, we had glass splash back removed after storm damage, water went in behind when debris hit out roof putting holes in it, the glass guy took no time at all to remove it, didn't even break most of it
    jeanette4943 thanked wuff
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    I think the kitchen would be a little dull without the green, embrace it, it is really cool
  • georgi02
    8 years ago

If it were me (and as changing the splashback is a lot more expensive then paint), I'd opt for a very dark colour (even a grey so dark that it's almost black) on the wall and make the green really pop - it looks as though you've got light hitting the wall so it'll work with the darker wall. Be brave.

jeanette4943 thanked georgi02
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    Georgi02, that is a even better idea than the White.
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    Kitchen colours By Linda Barbara..some great options. I hope you feel more confident with your beautiful green splash back
  • jeanette4943
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I certainly feel more confident about the colour of the splash back, with a number of people saying they really like the colour. I'm quite confident now that I can enhance the green with an off white washable paint, or wallpaper with a little green and yellow highlights. Thank you to every one who has contributed to my query.

• kooky_karen
    8 years ago

I love the green splashback. As suggested by others - paint the wall white and make the splashback a feature.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    Wallpaper won't be serviceable. Work with the green...it's individual.
  • dohraime
    8 years ago
    Could use a stencil to achieve wallpaper look... If you have the patience!
  • cloudpants
    8 years ago
    I love the idea of painting the wall charcoal, or white. Or even wide horizontal stripes in charcoal and white.
  • cloudpants
    8 years ago
    Look how well green goes with black and white...
  • cloudpants
    8 years ago
    Sorry, I'm on a roll here... Thanks for keeping me busy lol...
  • jeanette4943
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you to all those, who gave me the inspiration to keep the green glass splash back. I have toned it with green and white wallpaper and used yellow accents. We are very pleased with the end result, we hope you like it also.
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    Looks amazing...well done and brave for you:), I love it
  • juliahocking
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Jeanette

The kitchen looks great. You have achieved the look you were after in the first place, as the tone of the wallpaper is similar to the original paint, but in a subtle way.

The kitchen is a real focal point of the larger space.

It pleases me that I was able to help.

PS I also like the look of your back door!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.