naomi6988

Dunno how to design for 14 year old bedroom

naomi6988
Do anyone have any ideas how to design I have 14 year girl's bedroom everything I mentioned to do she didn't like . She says she wants it cool and different to her friend's bedrooms

ASVInteriors
    last modified: 7 years ago
    Been there and done it. In the end we opted for something quite dramatic. I painted the teen's walls in panels of dark chocolate brown with white panels. She has a square room, and this effectively divided the two walls into three zones. (the outer wall are windows) and the other wall I filled with an IKEA sliding cupboard in chocolate brown and mirror to bring in the light and negate the dark chocolate.

This machiavellan scheme allowed me to bring in all the elements that go with deep chocolate but that change according to the girl's whims (we began with a deep to vivid fuschia colour on the bed spread, shades and accents - achieved by a bit of creative spray painting, and sheets in the sales section of a store). Sure enough a year later, she was tired, so we changed the accents to vivid green. (Picture below is unfinished first stage - fuschia)
    Next on the list I have planned is a lovely sea blue.

The point is that the usual white is boring but the dark chocolate provides panels of drama (and zones on which to hang posters/frames etc). Her bedhead was also made in cream with removable buttons that can be changed according to whim!
  • naomi6988
    Thanks very much
    Dytecture
    I would ask her to gather some ideas to show you. At least pick 1 or 2 colors that she would like to be used in the bedroom.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/5-teen-and-tween-girls-rooms-with-fresh-faced-style-stsetivw-vs~5144694
    M B Wilson Interior Design
    Check out Pottery Barn Teens, and Restoration Hardware for ideas. Often you can take their ideas and adapt them to work in your home. At 14 she is going to want something that will last through the rest of High School. So lean more towards adult patterns rather than kid stuff.