oliviakwardatuivaga

Hallway Help!

Blank canvas new house - we need ideas for our entry/hallway!

Comments (18)

• User
    9 years ago
    Hi Olivia, why hasn't anyone tried to help you yet? Love your floors and nice to have a new home to work on isnt it? Art is the first thing i think of. The next thing is, do you want any carpet runners to soften footsteps? It will be helpful if you show a photo of the entryway area.
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked User
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    9 years ago
    Well... I'm NOT an interior designer, but as many others, I play one on Houzz.
    Great looking hall and the floors are the centerpiece... all I can see doing is tossing some artwork at the walls... something tasteful & complimentary to the other colors.
    Photos, portraits, landscapes... dogs playing poker... you're in charge.
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked Select Hardwood Floor Co.
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Ok, I'll give it a try! I agree with art. You could do it as a gallery wall (lots of smaller pieces) until the space widens out to the room at the end or opposite that first doorway where you can then hang a big piece (big art is wasted if you can't stand back and admire it from afar as well as up close).

I wouldn't have any furniture except for a thin console table with a mirror above it near the front door, before the steps. To the left of the front door from the hall is preferable, so you can see it as you open the front door (and you can quickly look in the mirror before you open the door :). But from the angle of the photos it looks like it'll be too squashed - you don't want to be rammed against furniture when you are trying to get in and out.
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked boundsgreener
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Here is one idea with a contemporary look.

J Design Group Interior Designers Miami - Bal Harbour · More Info
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked Dytecture
  • PRO
    Crown Construction Contracting
    9 years ago
    I agree with artwork. Don't do anything to block the view of that gorgeous front door!
  • PRO
    Capel Rugs
    9 years ago
    As suggested by ideaplace222, a runner can help to make your entranceway welcoming and soften the ground underfoot. We have many options in our collection, and here are a few ideas in a gray/blue color palette:

Ombre rug in Sky · More Info

Arabesque rug in Pigeon · More Info

Zanzibar rug in Midnight · More Info

Our website is easily searchable by shape if you would like to look for more runners ( http://www.capelrugs.com).

Best of luck,

Capel Rugs
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked Capel Rugs
  • PRO
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you everyone! Great ideas and inspirations! So helpful.
    Art work is definitely my first priority. Those walls are dying for some colour!I love the narrow console table but I don't think I'll have enough space for one...
  • PRO
    Hardin Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    The directive is to visually shorten the hall! We have successfully achieved that by breaking long runs up with low profile structure. The use of +/-3" projected Pilaster columns at an appropriate with works well, (trim top and bottom of pilaster) ideally placing them on top of the stair before the existing hall door. Secondly, I would change the color of the entry way a few shades darker to help rich en the foyer and stained wood entry door, rugs always help that area also. Hope that helps.
    -Hardin Builders Inc. 847.668.9020.
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked Hardin Builders, Inc.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    9 years ago
    I'd be careful not to "junk it up" with a bunch of tiny photos and groupings with evry colour under the rainbw...no family porraits and stuff. (no offense anyone). I love the look that the evenly sized, black and white photos/art done as in the first inspiration photo by ispoildogs. Your door suggests you like a nod to the modern, minimalist, clean style. I think that is a great look! Good job ispoildogs!
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    You can't miss with one or two runner rugs. They can add color, texture, pattern and you can use black and white photos on the walls - large enough to carry their weight against the rug(s)
    Western Run-hall to master suite · More Info

Bar Chart Bliss Rug · More Info

Hall · More Info

highland park · More Info
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Plan Architecture
    9 years ago
    Art is difficult to appreciate in a hall. Consider some wall sconces (lights) and modern pilasters of a different color/material
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked Plan Architecture
  • mslucytoo
    9 years ago
    You could put rails to hold art which could be changed as often as you want.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hallways are great places for family photos - try bigger, blown up contemporary ones, or even sepia toned antique old-fashioned scenes and people.
    DUMICAN MOSEY Architects - Fillmore Street · More Info

Scenic · More Info

Lakeview Residence Living Room · More Info

Focal point wall in new living room · More Info
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would add impactful art...make it a gallery to be enjoyed as you move down the hallway. [houzz=
    Contemporary Art Gallery Hallway · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    High End Residence turns Boutique Hotel Design · More Info
    ]; houzz=
    Columbia Street Residence · More Info
    ]
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Stairworks
    9 years ago
    I think Maureen's idea is pretty interesting! I certainly did thing the space looked gallery-esque when I first saw it, with those beautiful hardwood floors and light walls. It would be a great way to show off your style!
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked Stairworks
  • harrycage
    9 years ago
    I'm not a fan of runners on stairs & floors so I wouldn't suggest them. Hanging nice pieces of artworks would be a great solution.
  • Michael Ugalino
    9 years ago
    well for me if you want to so. the potrait technique. ill rather advice to kill the ceiling light and replace it be wall light to emphasize the potrait and to add silluete and shadow.but for me a big big aquarium willl look nicer to this.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.