idesignnick

GREAT! how did you set each corten plumb and to follow accurate curve?

Cor-Ten Cattails Sculptural Fence · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Archer & Buchanan Architecture, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your interest! Roughly 300 individual COR-TEN steel blades, set 8 inches apart, stretch from the corner of the house to the edge of the property. Each stanchion stands 8’ above grade, 2’ below, weighs 80-90 lbs, and is 5/8” thick. The profile of the stanchions is an irregular trapezoid that abstractly relates to forms taken from the house. No stanchion is parallel with any other except at the gate, and full scale templates were made to help the contractor set each one individually in concrete at its own angle. There are no horizontal connections or supports between stanchions in the fence. The gate has only two horizontal bars to help span the driveway, and each leaf weighs 1200 lbs. Fence stanchions were cut with a plasma cutter from sheets of COR-TEN steel and gate stanchions were cut and then welded to solid machined steel bars.
  • PRO
    Raji RM
    9 years ago
    Just reading about all the work that went into it is so fascinating. Fantastic planning and precision!
  • PRO
    Nick Wall Design + Build
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Archer & Buchanan Architecture, Ltd.
    Many thanks - I wondered if a template was used to help speed up and guide to fitters (bear in mind they still had to ensure each was plumb as well as following the designed curve. The template obviously has to be made to a high standard (probably laser cut I would guess) to follow such shapely Sine Wave form and was no doubt costly considering its single bespoke use. Great to see such attention to detail. Unfortunately in my experience it's rare to find budgets big enough to stretch to this standard however well appreciated the design is! Keep up the fine work! Nick Wall
  • PRO
    Archer & Buchanan Architecture, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Thank you very much for all the kind feedback!
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.