_megan_

Thoughts on furniture arrangement and advice for a new rug needed

Hi guys.... Curious to get your opinion on this arrangement with the chair and couch and was wondering if you had any suggestions on a different color rug. One that perhaps is a bit lighter, to not show all my dogs hair! :). Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

My other thought was to put the chair square to the ottoman, but not sure because of spacing how it is when you walk in door

Comments (46)

• PRO
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Agree with Warner Decor that the rug should go lighter. Some taupe and blue ideas:
    Surya Zuna ZUN-1043 5' x 8' Light Blue, Cream Rug · More Info

Surya Athena ATH-5001 8' Square Pale Blue, Taupe Rug · More Info

Surya Athena ATH-5116 8' Square Ivory, Taupe Rug · More Info

Surya Modern Classics CAN-2039 5' x 8' Blue Rug · More Info
  • Related Discussions

Need help to dress up my dining room,am thinking of cream panelling,ra

Q

Comments (33)
    If you want custom cream panelling built from scratch, it is likely to take you more than three weeks to line up a contractor, get it built and then painted. If you want to use beadboard (thin, lightweight, cheap) you can do it yourself if you are good at the small precision cuts around the wood window trim and behind the radiators. You can get a custom built wood cover with doors for your tv or use the painting over tv disguise made with hinges. I think the room is beautiful as it is. Spend some money on a truly beautiful, impressive chandelier, have it centered over the table. If you want to impress relatives at an event, the chandelier is the way to go. Clean the windows for extra sparkle. If you are in the US, try Home Decorators http://www.homedecorators.com for DVD storage cabinets that are closed. I would not get a rug for this room unless I was ready to get it cleaned frequently and I could find one that looked good with dog hair on it and did not show stains. A good quality, highly patterned wool Oriental rug will do that job nicely. Such a rug is an investment and may take longer than three weeks to find.
    ...See More

Need help with living room furniture choices

Q

Comments (39)
    Latest update! Made a few changes to the book cabinet to the left of the fireplace. Added chrome legs to match the legs on the tv cabinet and added doors to the top half to try to make it look less cluttered. The lighting in the photos isn't great but hopefully you get the idea.Am quite pleased with the result. Am still trying to decide on art for over the fireplace, keep changing my mind but considering getting this canvas (see picture).
    ...See More

New sofa style

Q

Comments (81)
    Hi Lisa, nice sofa. I had a red sofa for 10 years and loved it ( though mine was fabric) I've changed the kitchen/ living room and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I gave in and put in a grey leather sectional one and I must say it's much easier to decorate around. Are you in Ireland? Have you heard of the 1933 company, they have very nice suites. Red makes a big statement! Just my 2 cents worth, good luck!
    ...See More

Bedroom badly needs an update!!

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi. I do agree with all of what Apple pie said. If the chest of drawers or bed can't go elsewhere at minimum I'd remove the unit above and add a table lamp and vase of good faux flowers o the chest. If budget permits, move the air vent literally down a few feet where it is so it's not prominent, if not create a collage of art or decorative mirrors over that ŵall so it's less visible. The room appears quite dark (although that may be the pic!), so I'd paint the walls in savage ground by farrow and ball ( do get fabric samples first though as there are more paint colours available!). In future I would probably change the carpet (although it's nice) to a pale neutral as it's probably sucking the light. Maybe also paint the door as that looks quite dark. Using the pic posted from your Idea book I'd use that as inspiration using cream, pale bronze, antique gold etc. it's hard to tell if full length curtains will hang properly next to the wardrobe, if not, go for Roman blinds in a cream/natural floral, damask, bird toile etc. it's easy to mix any of these patterns with other florals etc for the bed. Ideally I'd hang the blind outside of the recess so as not to block light but I can't see if that would work. If you're on a budget do look at ebay for blinds or fabric, often designer guild cushions or some of the high street names will also come up. Personally I'd go for plain bed linen and add cushions and a throw mixing plain and patterns in different fabrics. I can't see what light you have but a chandelier would go well with this scheme, you could try bhs.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Distinctive Designs of Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of the ivory rug, but do you think it would blend too much with the ottoman? I'm guessing with the design on it it would help offset it.

This is with the chair moved. What position do you think looks better... I can't decide!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Try the love where you have the chair and the chair in its place.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the pics with them switched... Thoughts?
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 years ago
    Are there more pictures of the entire area. I see a fireplace in "no man's land" all alone. It appears odd to have all this seating area crammed into the front window when the room seems to be much larger.
  • User
    10 years ago
    It's really tough arranging furniture when you want to maximize the seating for television viewing. Try the 2 chairs by the window with a table and lamp between for reading. I think your ottoman is sort of like an elephant in the room, nice but too large in scale. A bright patterned rug would make a nice difference.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Put the love opposite the large sofa where you had the chair, not angled. I wouldn't angle anything here, including the rug which does need to be lightened up some, but still offer contrast to the hassock/table. Both sofas should be 18" from the hassock/table for ease of placing a glass or other item there. The chair can use the table. Try finding a rug that has the colors that are in your armless chair. If you add any tables or lamps here's a chart to help.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the entire space. If I put the two chairs by the windows I'm not sure where I can put the couch. The fireplace is in an awkward spot as it isn't really centered in the room at all. The table used to be by the windows, but it looked awkward to walk into the back of a couch. I like this way with the dining room table away from the couch as it opens up the room more.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I had originally the dining table by the windows but it made the rest of the room seem too cramped because you ended up walking into the back of the couch when people came into the door....
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the view with the love seat and chair changed... Do you think it looks too boxy with the arms of the love seat?
  • Erica Garza
    10 years ago
    What happens if you swapped the sofa w/ the big arm chair in the positions they sit now? OR putting the sofa where the side chair is on the left, big arm chair by the window? It feels off because the FP is just floating in the middle of the room.
  • User
    10 years ago
    That square back boxy chair is a bit big for the grouping. Is there anyway you could replace it with another slipper chair? Of course you don't want to forgo comfort for appearance.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    My impression from the comments is that the loveseat that matches your sofa just comes off as "boxy" when floated alone. Love's are notorious for messing with furniture arranging. However, I think the issue is the blockiness of all of your furniture pieces. How many squares or rectangles can be counted in your space? The window recess, arch, lamps, starburst mirror, rug design art over the buffet are the only relief from the blocks. Break that with some round pillows, a round tray to replace the square one, anything you can come up with the soften and break up the squarishness. Try a round rug under the dining table.
  • PRO
    Du Monde Furnishings
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Forgive me if I missed this, but is the chair necessary or used occasionally (for company perhaps). I ask because I think it is a shame to mask the beauty of the bay window with the large sofa. I would prefer to see the sofa along the wall to the left of the window, and the overstuffed chair in the bay window. I know it would drive people crazy to have the couch stick out over the wall so leaving it in front of the bay window may be the only choice. If so, I like the overstuffed chair against the smaller wall. Regardless, I think moving the other the other chair would help. I'm not sure what is to the left of the french doors, but perhaps you could float the chair in that corner? Or perhaps the corner to the right of the picture (that appears to be apart of the kitchen). I'm a minimalist by nature, so I tend to keep spaces as open as possible and with the least amount of needed furniture as possible. For example, do you need the barstools since you have a table so close to it? Do you need the little table next to the door since you seem to have two rather large buffets in the space already? By removing some of these pieces you would have more room for the design.

For the rug, definitely invest in a wool or cotton rug if you have dogs. They actually tend to attract the hair from the hardwoods and are easy to vacuum. I would go for something lighter to brighten the room a bit. I love the Eira rug I sell from a company in Finland but it's on backorder. Something similar would be a lovely addition to your space. You've done an absolutely beautiful job on your home!
    Eira Canary Yellow and Gray Chevron Rug · More Info
  • bajanrolf
    10 years ago
    Like your furniture choices and think both initial furniture pic layout and latter layout with chair facing couch work...but am confused as to why you have the rug angled. Kinda making me 'dizzy' looking at it at this angle:) ....and IMHO I'd want it at right angles and parrallel to the couch/Loveseat and TV and side walls.
  • cxg2
    10 years ago
    i would put the seating area where the dining table is--so what if they walk into the couch?put a nice console table behind it (get rid of that little table by the door) and a nice arrangement. Tv on the opposing wall. And then dining table in the bay window area. that way the dining chairs aren't competing with the bar stools and each area is well defined.
  • Annette Broaddus
    10 years ago
    I would put the sofa in front of the TV & the love seat in front of the window leave the chair where it is then I would get a rug that has lighter colors with some of the blue like in your chair. Maybe add a pop of color to the walls with some blue curtains. Or could also put sofa where the chair is then add a sofa table behind it love seat in front of TV & chair & table in front of the window. Good luck!
  • Jill Holmes
    10 years ago
    What a great space you have to work with! A couple of suggestions: get rid of the white ottoman - the scale is wrong - and use a glass coffee table - probably in chrome to go with the grey you are using; the small corner lamp also off scale; the rug needs to be either larger or smaller - as it is it contributes to the furniture looking all scrunched up; wherever you go with the dining table, that too needs an area rug.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow thank you all for your suggestions! I really would like to keep the dining area where it is, as we really felt we kept walking into the back of the couch when we came into the door and it closed off the space. I had originally thought about a glass table for the room, but we love lounging and having company and people put their feet on the ottoman for comfort. Also too it adds a place for people to sit! I rearranged some of the furniture per everyone's opinions. I wish the fireplace was centered... It really bothers me that it isn't. The reason that I had originally angled the furniture was to focus on the fireplace... I made the rug more square in the photos as well as the ottoman. Let me know your opinions of these different arrangements. I also tried the couch facing the windows as someone had suggested, and the back of the couch literally is so high, it cuts the room in two.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow thank you all for your suggestions! I really would like to keep the dining area where it is, as we really felt we kept walking into the back of the couch when we came into the door and it closed off the space. I had originally thought about a glass table for the room, but we love lounging and having company and people put their feet on the ottoman for comfort. Also too it adds a place for people to sit! I rearranged some of the furniture per everyone's opinions. I wish the fireplace was centered... It really bothers me that it isn't. The reason that I had originally angled the furniture was to focus on the fireplace... I made the rug more square in the photos as well as the ottoman. Let me know your opinions of these different arrangements. I also tried the couch facing the windows as someone had suggested, and the back of the couch literally is so high, it cuts the room in two.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hre is some other pictures with everything arranged. Not sure how I feel about the couch there, because there is about a half foot away from the wall because of the size of the couch and angle of the walls. Also I do want to add color with new drapes and rug just saving up some money right now for both
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also I am definitely not set on having the green chair...we just had it there for color and company seating. Thanks again
  • PRO
    Connie Elaine's Draperies
    10 years ago
    As I look at your lovely space, I visualize two seating areas, which I would like to add to the discussion.
    1) I would consider not angling the dining table so you can create a little more space around the fireplace.
    2) Try swapping the locations of ladder bookshelf and the tall narrow cabinet (it looks very pretty, but 'hidden' or just in a 'landing spot'
    3) I don't know the purpose of the credenza (is there another in the dining area next to the fireplace? Hard to tell from angle of photos) to the right of the door. Is it directly across from the fireplace? Try placing the loveseat there instead to eliminate the two wood pieces placed in such close proximity. You could then put the ottoman in front of the loveseat. Then flank the fireplace with two chairs of a similar scale to the one you have for extra seating. They could be somewhat easily rearranged for extra TV seating. Better yet, save your pennies for a couple of swivel chairs. One issue to consider with this arrangement is that you would be walking through rather than around one conversation (fireplace) area to get to the other (TV).
    4) It seems that the only spaces available for the sofa is under the window like you have it (which works well for watching TV). Place the armless chair where the loveseat is currently located to see if the scale works better. A smaller scale cocktail table rather than ottoman could help to keep the currently tight space less heavy and over furnished looking.
    5) Have fun moving things around to play with the perfect arrangement for the needs of you and your family:)
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    I like the very first picture, but would add a second lounge chair and a bigger lighter rug. The Surya suggestion is a good idea.
    Surya Athena ATH-5116 8' Square Ivory, Taupe Rug · More Info

Also, if you think having the dining set square is too boxy, change the table to a round one. I think the diagonal looks off.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    A bigger sofa with lounge placed more into the room (in front of both tv and fireplace) and two of those lounge chairs in the bay would look good too. But with a layout like that, you'll always have the sofa facing the opposite direction of the entry and kitchen. Psychologically, you decorate in such a way you can look at who comes in and walks by (door and windows), people tend to feel safer that way.

A second solution would involve the (round) dining table. A bigger table, comfy dining chairs. So the main sitting area will be the table. The lounge nook will be used mainly to watch tv or read a book.
  • PRO
    Red Fox Design
    10 years ago
    Megan, congratulations on all the new arrangements you tried. I like to work with space planning by using a scale drawing of the room and make custom templates (or buy them) and move the little templates around till I am happy with the space plan, You did work quite hard on this and I hope you are happy. I would also suggest a lighter patterned rug in a light olive green to compliment the colors in the side chair which has already been suggested. The Surya Athena would be very nice.
  • PRO
    Cope Closet Concepts
    10 years ago
    I like how you have it arranged. It is both cozy and open all at once. I would think it works well when you are watching a Downton Abbey marathon by yourself, or if you have friends over. I also have chosen living room furniture that matches my dog so her hair doesn't show as much!
  • merrigay
    10 years ago
    Can the ladder bookcase be moved from the dining room and the dining table and chairs moved a bit toward the kitchen? Would that free up enough space then to have two chairs at right angles to the fireplace edge (the edge nearer the dining side) and add a larger rug so that you have created a larger living space that incorporates the fireplace. Or instead of 2 chairs, a lounge that angles out at 45 degrees from the edge of the fireplace with a lamp. Nice place to put your feet up read a book.
  • Diane
    10 years ago
    Beautiful place.....gorgeous floors. If it were me, would leave love seat on short wall and square off side chair opposite couch as you did in last picture. Change out rug to sophisticated cream with pop of color (pick color from side chair accent) and coordinate a pop of that color on the couch pillows to tie in! Can also incorporate small painted stand next to side chair.
  • PRO
    Savvy Home
    10 years ago
    You can get it all at Savvy Home--we've got over 200 (CUSTOMIZABLE!) rugs, as well as thousands of customizable sofas. We also have a slew of design experts on staff to help answer any questions!
    http://www.savvyhomestore.com/select/rugs
  • quatorze
    10 years ago
    What about moving the chair into a bedroom and replacing it with two wood frame armchairs or two slipper chairs, both options being less bulky and intrusive. I think you could use a bigger rug and pull the two smaller scale chairs noted above further in front of the fireplace. It would open out the seating area. Think of the fireplace as wall art...
  • erinsean
    10 years ago
    I like the couch in the window and the loveseat facing the TV. I suggest a bigger, lighter rug for the room. How about two smaller chairs (like the green one but two of them) on either side of the fireplace...one would be angled away from the TV and the other would be angled away from the dog bed...angled out into the room. I would put your table straight (not angled) with a rug under it but not necessary. The llittle table/thingy by the door looks cluttered....can you take that away? By putting the two chairs on either side of the fireplace, you are bringing the fireplace into a focal point. You need only the couch and loveseat in the TV part of your room IMHO. If you want, your two fireplace chairs can be pulled up for company.
  • debbie_e
    10 years ago
    This might be a bit more than you are interested in doing and would require paring down the amount of furniture in the room but I'd try moving the dark credenza over to the wall just to the left of the french doors and square the dining table up with it. Move the Picture with the credenza to create a dining focal area. Then I would move the sofa over to where the credenza was but set it away from the wall. You can then hang a large piece of art on the wall behind the sofa and maybe float a counter height shelf for interest and to create quasi sofa table illusion. The counter shelf could also serve as extra seating by using low bar stools for big gatherings and as an additional space to watch TV for larger crowds. You can also use a cubed floor to ceiling shelving unit in this space if you need the storage.

I'd then place two low profile upholstered chairs without side arms floating in a bit within the bay window area and facing into the room toward the dining area. I'd place them at a slight angle to each other and perhaps low glass side tables to the outside of each. This will open up the view to the window and allow easy access to it. The space under the window could be the doggie bed location too.

I'd then place the TV above the fireplace and a light colored rug between sofa, chairs and fireplace to bring the seating area together. You can get smaller cube ottomans (perhaps with lift tops for storage) in place of the larger white ottoman that you have. That gives additional option for seating if needed or a place to prop your feet.

You've probably notice that this suggestion would mean not using the grey drawer cabinet, ladder shelving unit, white ottoman and love seat in this room. But I think this layout would really open up the space and make it seem as large as it appears to be in the photo while allowing for all the seating areas to interact with each other including the kitchen bar seating.

You may find that you gain even more options for guest seating with less furniture, as well as, allowing your family or guests to be included in the conversation no matter where they are sitting in the room.
  • Renee' Crosby
    10 years ago
    For me I would first try several different ways to place the furniture. I would move the love seat to be across from the sofa and place the chair either where the love seat was or directly across from where it was. You can also take out the love seat and place two chair directly across from the sofa and a small table in between them. You really need a pop of color in there for sure, which can be achieved from the rug and or throw pillows. I am not sure exactly what color your walls are, but they look to be a putty color. You could try pops of red, or go more tropical with corals and sea foam colors. For the rug try to find one that would compliment the pop of color you choose.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I cannot believe all the wonderful ideas on here! Thank you guys so much! A few of you asked for better pictures of the entire space which I have tried to provide here. We actually have two credenzas although they are not the same. We needed two because we didn't have enough storage for everything in our kitchen because it was tooo small! Per many people's suggestions I turned the table square instead of the angled shape it was in. I definitely swap the ladder bookcase with the square glass circle case. Also we are looking for a lighter rug for sure! I'm a bit confused on the chairs next to the fireplace.... Would they be my dining chairs? I have two more of them (8 total) or something else? For size perspective I put one of the extra chairs there in the pics. Unfortunately I can't put the TV over the fireplace because of something with the cable. (That's at least what my husband said) plus we have really high ceilings so I don't want to constantly look up at it.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Chair by fireplace....
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Oh, yes. Two angled as in first photo above. A little larger chair than your dining chairs. Maybe close to size of the green print chair. Now move the loveseat so it faces them, turn the credenza around so it backs the loveseat. You have now created two seating areas, and a walkway around the first rather than through it (the wall and front of the credenza creates a 'hall').

Love the couple of teal accents and your soft colors. What about the attached rugs? (if they attach:)
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the rug choices... The lighter the better as I have a yellow lab! One of my concerns is the love seat and ottoman and two chairs... I don't know if I'll have enough room. See the attached pics. Let me know your thoughts guys! Also do you think I should do pattern curtains?
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the rug choices... The lighter the better as I have a yellow lab! One of my concerns is the love seat and ottoman and two chairs... I don't know if I'll have enough room. See the attached pics. Let me know your thoughts guys! Also do you think I should do pattern curtains?
  • erinsean
    10 years ago
    I guess what I would like is only the couch and love seat in the TV area. Put the green chair beside the fireplace so the back of it is toward the dog bed, front would be on the right side of the fireplace). You can pull it forward for conversation with friends. Your kitchen chairs are just too small IMHO on either side of the fireplace. Love you table squared instead of turned.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Actually, I think the arrangement is rather interesting. Maybe scoot the loveseat back just a little more so it is more in line with the print chair so it does not come past the left arm of the sofa. Even your dog is walking around the area. Too cool:)

What do you think?

Your curtains actually are rather nice. If they are ready made, they are pressed, appear to be the right length, and classier than most that I see. They hang nicely and are subtle, simple, and classic. Patterns tend to trend. If you want to add color to them, consider flat braid or grosgrain ribbon stitched about 2" in from the lead edges and 4" from bottom edge.

I would put the budget toward rug and other items rather than the curtains.
  • debbie_e
    10 years ago
    I like the latest layout. The seating area feel so much more expansive and inviting. It also makes the room feel like it is all working together instead of being split into two sides. :o)
  • Shirley Marsh
    10 years ago
    I like the placing of the furniture as is; but would love to see a lighter rug. What other colour accents have you used? If none, how about introducing a soft, warm colour like coral; turquoise/cerulean blue; something to bring warmth and life into the interior.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.