blueblond

Hardwood floors or tile in kitchen? Help!

blueblond
10 years ago
We are building a home and our contractor suggested hardwoods for the kitchen. I love the look, and with an open floor-plan it would look amazing. My concern lies in the durability of the floor if things (bowls, jars, etc.) are dropped on it. Would tile be the smarter choice for longevity? Or does hardwood flooring seem durable in this part of the house?

Also, what do you guys put under your barstools at the kitchen island to prevent them from scraping the hardwood? We have a toddler and this is my other concern. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (41)

• PRO
    Design Freedom, inc.
    10 years ago
    we typically recommend tile, due to durability and the use of water in the kitchen. (you can still walk on tile floors in the remains of houses from Roman times.)

however, we have used white oak flooring in the attached project. there is an open plan, like your kitchen. if things are dropped on it, they won't break as easily, since the wood is softer than tile. the wood we used is a real hardwood, with no gaps, texture, or ridges (not engineered planks), and polyurethane coated to protect the floor from spills. our homeowners do not have kids, and will clean up any liquids as they happen.
    Entry and Kitchen with new raised ceiling · More Info

Kitchen for one cook with fridge near entertaining area · More Info
  • PRO
    Five Star Kitchens
    10 years ago
    There is always a questinon of durability, but if you think about it, nothing stays the same after MANY years of use. Tile can crack too, so can concrete. Hard wood floors can fade with time and get scratched, etc. I think it comes down to style and what you are willing to live with and maintain. Some don't like concrete floors however, they are poured in one session and leveled, can be stained however you please, etc. You can install heated floors too if you're worried about cold but concrete is great because it will help you maintain the same floor style all throughout any given area, which keeps thing looking collective and expansive. Tile has it's differences, so does hardward floors, which I always found to be very classy and elegent. I would focus on YOUR style and what YOU find more pleasing to the eyes and suitable to your budget. Know what you will need to do to maintain it and do your best to be careful in the kitchen. Even the most wonderful of products can break when people are careless. Just be mindful :)
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen/Dining Room - Wooden or Tile Floor

Q

Comments (4)
    100% Wood. I actually am installing for the second time wood flooring in my kitchen and dining area in fact the whole first floor. I did the second floor in Brazilian Cherry and just love it so much more than the oak that I currently have. However if I had to choose I would choose the oak floors over tile every time. They wear better look so much prettier. And like the previous poster pointed out I hate dirty grout lines.
    ...See More

Please help with kitchen flooring

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a similar kitchen although the work tops are not dark. We have a light, white/Ivory tile on the floor. Looks lovely and bright, especially for our small kitchen.
    ...See More

Kitchen Floor - Wood or Tile

Q

Comments (3)
    You mentioned 12mm laminated floor yet you are asking about 'wood'. These are often two different floors. Are you asking about an engineered HARDWOOD that is 12mm thick or are you talking about a 12mm LAMINATED floor (fibre board with a pretty picture of wood on the top)? Engineered hardwood works well in a kitchen (just like Oak & Broad points out). Laminated flooring normally DOES NOT do well in a kitchen. That means the answer to your question could be "yes" or "no"....depending on which floor you are talking about. Please clarify.
    ...See More

Need help choosing the colour of my hardwood floor

Q

Comments (3)
    Matt finish walnut will show pretty much everything...the yellow 'doodle hair will show everytime it lands. The good news is everything is so dark you will only see half of the dog hair. A ligher floor in a dark home will have the same effect as a dark floor in a well lit home. You might want to look at a floor that is stained (like white or European Oak) with a mid-tone brown (2 steps lighter than walnut) and you will have your crisp definition between wood and wall AND you will have a floor that is more forgiving with 'doodle curls. And be aware that many people find a matt finishe VERY hard to live with. It shows every hand print, paw print, nose print, "skin" print you can imagine. Skin oils are SHINIER than a matt finish = shows up every time a finger, toe, foot, dog pad hits the floor. Everytime. A satin is easier to live with.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    I've had hardwood flooring for my own kitchen for over 8 years and no issues at all with durability or water spillage.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I love wood floors and have quite a bit of walnut flooring in my house, but I use my kitchen a lot and I don't want to worry about drips on wood, so I chose tile for the kitchen and entry (the areas likely to get wet). I think the transition between the two is fine - the height is nearly identical. I had wood in a previous kitchen and it took quite a beating compared to the wood in the rest of the house. I hate the mess of refinishing wood floors, so when this house was built 9 years ago, it was kitchen tile for me. If you get tile, go for very large tiles for a more current look.
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do feel like wood floors would look better, but I don't necessarily want to fret over every time a barstool is slid on the floor. Those who have wood floors in the kitchen, what do you do to protect your floors from barstools? Felt under the feet? What stays?

Thank you all! I've never had true hardwood floors either so all I know about is what I've read, and from other's homes.
  • hparks74
    10 years ago
    I had tile in my old kitchen and hardwood throughout my entire new with the exception of master. I would say I love my hardwood far better than my tile. My house is more modern and it works. Plus if you cook a lot you will appreciate the softer side of having the wood over tile. Tile can be bad on your back.
  • bjens
    10 years ago
    We chose wood because the tile floor in our last house hurt my back to stand on all day. There are dents in the wood here and there after 12 years, but more so in the hallway than the kitchen. I don't like cleaning grout and I put throw rugs at the doors and near the sink/dishwasher to handle any moisture. I think it comes down to the look you're attracted to. The only thing I would do differently would be to get a lighter color wood. Every crumb and speck of dust shows up on a dark wood floor. DH thinks I would want to know that there's dust on the floor so I would know it needs to be cleaned! Ha! I only want to know where the dirt is when I'm READY to clean.
  • bjens
    10 years ago
    Oh, and we have used the thick felt pads on the chairs and barstools for years. They need to be replaced every once in awhile but we think they look better than rubber tips that slip on.
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    Real hardwood in kitchens works great. Yes, you don't want to leave buckets of water sitting on it, but, overall, it holds up well and can be refinished when you are ready. I renovated a kitchen in a hundred year old house where we kept the original wood floors. They have a patina but they are beautiful.
  • dkhuff1
    10 years ago
    We have had hickory floors in our kitchen for 17 years. They still look great. hickory os 50% harder than oak so it can take some abuse. Also, the new bamboo floors are twice as hard a hickory. We keep small pretty throw rugs in front of the sink, cook top and fridge-- all areas where there can be water. They look nice and add some color but also provide some protection. We have two large dogs and two kids and our floors have held up well. You do need to have them screened every 7 years or so. This freshens the finish and fills in the minor superficial scratches that we get from the dogs claws. Costs about $1 per sq ft for screening.
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was hoping people would tell me their hardwoods were not too much trouble in the kitchen. I'm mostly attracted to that look, just didn't have the knowledge to reaffirm that it would be ok. I do think it would give it an updated look. Tile still may be the safer bet though.
  • leenet13
    10 years ago
    I've had hardwood in my entry, dining and kitchen for over 25 years. I LOVE wood...but they can be work to maintain. We are doing a complete renovation of the 2nd floor of our house (it's 3 stories)...People are recommending the new vinyl plank floor....you might want to look into them before deciding...they have vinyl that look like wood and tile and from what I've been told, they are great...Karndean is mentioned on Houzz a lot and I've been introduced to a commercial grade called Matsinc/Floorworks.
    I have not decided yet, so would love to hear opinions.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    The hardwood floors (white oak) in our kitchen are 85 years old and still going strong. They were last refinished over 20 years ago and could probably use another refinishing, but it isn't urgent and they still look lovely. Our previous house also had hardwood floors in the kitchen. I much prefer wood to tile or stone.
  • PRO
    Architectural Stone Elements
    10 years ago
    the popularity vote - ie: today's "trend" - would go to hardwood floors (all over the place)! Hardwood is a current favorite.......it hasn't always been so, though, and who knows what the future will bring.

My personal preference, however, is for tile in the kitchen.......yes, it can be colder to walk on barefoot, and if you drop something, it most certainly will break............but...............You can really scrub ceramic tile to get it clean, and it won't show the wear and tear hardwood will over time, especially with high traffic areas and kitchen chairs rubbing back and forth on a regular basis.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    White oak flooring, plus 3 coats of polyurethane. The Brat (not really) was trying to bounce a solid hard ball off of it. I mean, he was really trying i think to make a lasting impression...no damage occurred to my amazement.
  • PRO
    Upside Development
    10 years ago
    Tiles definately more durable for water etc... however many people choose hardwood because it makes stylistic sense. If the space is on the smaller side splitting into tiles in a small section may look awkward. And for your stools use the felt stickers. Hope this helps.
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's the floor plan. I'm thinking hardwood in the main areas apart from tile in the sunroom.
  • B
    10 years ago
    Our kitchen formed a part of our large open living space and it made sense to continue with the hardwood flooring throughout. We love it! However, I have dropped a knife a couple of times and there are now a couple of small dents in the floor. Noone other than me can find or see them though :)
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    We're currently putting in a tile floor in our kitchen, dining room and entryway, but I'm hoping to put hardwood in the living room this summer so I've been researching it. Lumber Liquidators sells one brand of hardwood floors that have a 100 year warranty that is tranferable to future owners. You might check out their sight as part of your research. I think the brand is Bella.
  • B
    10 years ago
    @hayleydaniels - what does the 100 year warranty cover/doesn't cover? Does it cover wear and tear, and accidental damage?
  • PRO
    Linkstar Industry Co., Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Tiles should be more safer & harder. It's easy to clean. That is a part reason why many peoples use natural granite to make counter top, vanity top. Oil, juice or some other wont affect its surface too much. It will take you some time & effort to clean for you use wood.
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    I am wondering about the value of a 100 year warranty? Doesn't that presume that the manufacturer is still in existence?
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    Haha @ HERE Design and Architecture : My start up fanasty company shall warrant its product for 30 years...but i don't suspect that i will live that long. Is the warranty still valid after my demise ?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Plates are less likely to break on linoleum than tile floors.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    I really hated the kitchen I had with tile floor. Not quite as much as the one I rented that had carpet tiles (ew) but I found it really hard on my joints and feet to stand on the tile for any length of time. I do have arthritis so that makes me more prone to ouchiness than most, but it was just not a comfortable floor. I prefer hardwood or laminate for comfort. (With hardwood I would just pick a finish that doesn't need to be totally perfect to look good - some finishes and colors definitely age more gracefully than others, and almost any floor material will show wear and tear eventually.)
  • Christina
    10 years ago
    I have hardwood in my kitchen and I haven't had any issues in the 5 years I've been in my home. I have hardwood throughout the entire first floor of my home except for tile in the sunroom and half bath. I have an open floor plan and I like the continuity of having hardwood throughout. Like others have stated I put down throw rugs by my sink, refrigerator, and range. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • sjhomes
    10 years ago
    Dings and scratches in wood give it charm but are also easy to fix. Cracked tile is ugly can cut you and no so easy to fix. Tile is cold Wood is warm both are hard. Real wood can be sanded and refinished. Tile has to be replaced. Usually they cost about the same. Use the one you like the best and love it.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    All wood will give a nice continuous look, but tile and wood marry quite nicely too and I like the contrast. So, appearance wise, either will look great.
    [houzz=
    Foyer · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Buckhead · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Best Builders ltd · More Info
    ]
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    B, I'm not sure what the 100 year warranty covers--I just saw it mentioned on a video about the product on Lumber Liquidators' website.

I was very impressed with the thickness of their real hardwood floors [approx 3/4"] vs the hardwood laminate you get at the big box stores.
  • missable
    10 years ago
    I haven't read all the postings, but have you considered tile with a hardwood look? Not sure how you give credit for where a picture came from so I am including thus link. http://www.southcypress.com/Theme/Wood-Tile#.UqQ8uee9KSM
  • PRO
    Vassallo Tile & Stone
    10 years ago
    You can have the best of both worlds with the durability of tile and the look of wood. Check out Arizona Tile's selection.
    http://www.arizonatile.com/WATERFALL-SERIES-P1210.aspx
  • missable
    10 years ago
    Two more quick comments. I would also take into consideration of where you live. Unless heated, tile can be cold underfoot especially if used on the first floor with an un heated basement underneath. We recently put bamboo in the kitchen. I love it! It is so hard the installed per drilled holes in it to secure the planks. As for water....bamboo grows in water in nature. Because of this, it's more water tolerant than something like oak. It does have a more contemporary look though.
  • mcq6
    10 years ago
    I have had both tile and hardwoods in my kitchen. I much prefer the hardwoods, I have never had any issues with water. For your barstools and kitchen chairs, just use felt pads.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    Definitely go with the felt pads...i'm getting lazy about picking up chair(s) to move them...i rather drag them
  • PRO
    Viribus
    10 years ago
    I've had hardwood floors in my kitchen for 18 years and find no issues. I put 4 coats of polyurethane just to be sure when I installed it.
  • mfhayes
    10 years ago
    I've had hardwood in 3 different kitchens since 1984. I chose it deliberately for warmth, ease on legs while standing (I cook a lot), and especially looks, as in all 3 home the wood continued into adjacent rooms. #1 was heart pine, which got pretty beat up. We were ok with that look. #2 was red oak and stayed pretty perfect over 11 years, even in high traffic, as the route in from the garage was through the kitchen. No refinishing needed. In our latest home, built on a concrete slab, I chose high quality floating hardwood (the only kind we could use) in a deep brown finish and also installed under floor heating in the kitchen to make it warmer. The darker color makes it do easy to maintain. We've never had an issue with water. Go for it!
    Also, we put felt pads on legs of heavy iron bars stools and never had a problem.
  • Kari D
    10 years ago
    The walnut flooring in our kitchen is 100 years old and just wonderful. Then again it came from strong mature trees.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    When we address fears or concerns about product "longevity" or "durability", in relation to floors, you'll be deciding between a quality porcelain based tile or refinishable hardwood floor. Porcelain is our strongest and least porous material, but if ever damaged would need to be replaced. Good luck damaging a quality porcelain tile properly set, though possible with an iron skillet from 3ft. Stay away from light colored grouts in high traffic zones. A quality solid hardwood floor can stand the test of time due to being a product easily refinished several times. Though, as in a recent project of ours, a water leak under the sink floor caused cupping and warping to about 15 sqft of sold oak strip, triggering replacement. There are quality engineered hardwood floors with a finish layer that can handle at least one refinishing, providing you a more stable substrate in any event of a water incident. If scuffing, scratching, and gouging are something that'll keep you up at night (I have two little boy animals trying to destroy my home ; ) then go porcelain in the kitchen.
  • Susanne D.
    10 years ago
    I have travertine stone tile in my kitchen and it has so many holes and scratches that now 9 years later it needs to be replaced. I will not put that type of stone in my kitchen again. I have hand scraped solid oak hardwood floors throughout the rest of my home that despite the abuse of two large dogs and three active boys, who have played ball, spilled drinks, dribbled pool water, dropped toys, driven remote controlled cars and even rollerbladed on the wood still look great today. I love the aged, lived-in look of hand-scraped wood and would highly recommend it or porcelain tile with 1/8-1/16"grout lines for a kitchen. Several of my neighbors that have wood in their kitchen absolutely love it and have no regrets! And people that I know who have porcelain tile feel the same as well. I guess it really depends on the look you're after!
  • PRO
    Architectural Stone Elements
    10 years ago
    hello
    I am really feeling grateful to post a nice comment here,so that other people might be benefited from it.In case of durability i think wood floor is best for me,because it absorbs water and no effect on its shape,it remain constant in its position,sometime it is scratching but it will not affect on its position.If we consider about tile it may be breakable and some times it is scratch.so my view one should use hardwood in kitchen instead of tile .Thank you
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.