shirleytakeahike

Hoping to enhance curb appeal.

I'm looking for ideas to improve the exterior and landscaping. Home is on cul de sac - small front yard, large back yard. Deck and porch across back which I need to stain or paint.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Lisa McKnight
    10 years ago
    Employ a landscape designer
    Shirley Curtis-Klein thanked Lisa McKnight
  • PRO
    Tabernacle Homes
    10 years ago
    Maybe a new house color would help your house pop! Right now it kind of blends in with your trim color. You could even change the color of the front door to make it stand out more. Hope this helps, good luck with everything!
    Shirley Curtis-Klein thanked Tabernacle Homes
  • RosemaryR
    10 years ago
    Your house appears split in two, light on the left-dark on the right and except for walkway to front door it is all hard angles. I would suggest a landscape designer who can help you come up with a plan to bring more cohesiveness and to soften angles. It's a lovely house.
    Shirley Curtis-Klein thanked RosemaryR
  • Shirley Curtis-Klein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Your comments have helped clarify areas I was uncomfortable with and have given me new ideas and reinforced others. No wonder people speak so highly of this website. I hope to send a "before and after" down the road. Thanks again.
  • twbsg526g
    10 years ago
    Beautiful house! Maybe repaint that lighter brige color. It reminds me of a make up foundation color. And whatever color you use, bring it to the other side of the house like on the front door.

I can't see the door area...it looks pretty dark on mobile. Is that a front porch? Are the trees too tall and covering it up?
    Shirley Curtis-Klein thanked twbsg526g
  • twbsg526g
    10 years ago
    See how the dark brick house in pic #1 is lightened by the white accents and shorter plants?
  • twbsg526g
    10 years ago
    Ok last thing. If you can't afford a landscaper I would suggest hiring someone to remove all those dark heavy evergreens and replace them with ornamental grass and hostas or something. You have a nice home with beautiful windows!

Can we see the back and give ideas there?
  • Christine Schneller
    10 years ago
    a nice curvy bed along your driveway with bright flowers and maybe a Jap maple (short bright shrub?) would make it pop! and I agree about the evergreens - especially the ones by your front door.
    Shirley Curtis-Klein thanked Christine Schneller
  • PRO
    Mitchell Channon Design
    10 years ago
    What I see as an issue is that the very light paint color on the garage door and above seems to make the house choppy looking. I would definitely paint the house in a darker taupe/gray tone that has less contrast with the brick. It will give more cohesion to the house.
    Shirley Curtis-Klein thanked Mitchell Channon Design
  • twbsg526g
    10 years ago
    A less contrasting color is good but in order to lighten the overall loo, you need a lot more white accents. White front door, white shutters, white front porch maybe, then evergreens out and add a lot of light bright short plants.
  • Shirley Curtis-Klein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love you guys!
  • Shirley Curtis-Klein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks again for the ideas.
    Update: we have employed a landscaper, removed evergreen, relandscaped including curved flowerbed along the driveway with shorter bright plantings.
    We have house changes planned - from window over garage to painting change from very light yellow to taupe/gray. Thinking white trim and change to color on now-white door. Could you share thoughts on door color?
  • PRO
    Pebble Stone Coatings
    10 years ago
    A great option is Pebble Stone Coatings! With their all natural stone concrete overlay, any concrete surface can be brought to life. With a variety of colors and designs, they tailor a design that works best for you. At only $6.99 per sq/ft it is completely worth it. You most definitely get what you pay for! Visit the website at www.pebblestonecoatings.cm for more information!!
    Shirley Curtis-Klein thanked Pebble Stone Coatings
  • Shirley Curtis-Klein
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I’m back and hoping for more help these 10 years later.

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

What do you need help with? Starting a new Dilemma will get you more attention since your “posted date” will be this year. Not 2013.

• hbeing
    9 months ago

how can you improve on that pooch? ;)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 months ago

OP, what changes did you finally make? Pictures, please!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.