saf_hass

Kitchen costs / German / Nobilia

Saf
24 days ago

I've been quoted circa £14.5k for a Nobilia kitchen, cost for the furniture only. For the same kitchen someone else was quoting me £17k.
I would need around 26 units, how much should I be expecting to pay without being ripped off lol?
Just feel it's like a game of poker buying a new kitchen lol.
Thanks

Comments (6)

• Saf
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Hi John,

Thanks for your post. I'm 100% sure both prices I received so far is on a like for like basis, both worktops and appliances I will be sourcing seperate because I can get these at a good price. I think I need two get two more quotes to make sure. One price I received for a Hacker systemat working out around £800 more.

• PRO
    Luxe Ltd
    23 days ago

Have you considered going down the route of German inspired but UK made kitchens? I use the Volpi range by ECF which gives you a German looking kitchen but is much more affordable and you actually get 18mm carcasses with 18mm back panels. (German kitchen tend to use thinner material to cut down on freight costs)

I’ve just started my own company so would be happy to price it up for you to compare as it helps me gauge where I am in the market too?

• Jonathan
    23 days ago

I am 100% sure they are not like for like quotes. They will be different products- as I said most likely different door manufacturing methods.

And unless you can get appliances with more than 20% discount you are unlikely to be able to better what a kitchen studio can do. Remember if they are not earning profit on every part of the sale they are not going to be motivated to go the extra mile.

And lastly there is a trend for English manufacturers to use 18mm carcasses while generally speaking the Germans use 16mm. However the Germans argue the board they use is denser which means it’s stronger and not necessarily lighter in weight. When I bought my Germans kitchen they made a point of dismissing 18mm carcasses as not necessarily being a benefit and were keen to point out that strength is the key measure- my kitchen pull outs are rated to hold 70kg. I’m not aware of any British manufacturer that makes that claim.

• PRO
    Luxe Ltd
    23 days ago

Absolutely, I agree with your point that it needs to be compared like for like as I do give credit to German companies that they have a huge variety which all come at different price points. I used to sell a fair bit of Rotpunkt and the doors would range from standard MFC up to sandblasted oak veneer, which was reflected in the price.

However, it is quite common to see Egger products being used throughout most manufacturers both German and UK, they are branded different but you will generally see an Egger perfect sense ultra matt door in the majority of showrooms you go in. Same with their standard ST9 MFC.

I'm not sure I'm with you on the 16mm being superior to 18mm though. They use 16mm carcasses with 8mm back panels to cut down on weight as they are shipped worldwide. An 18mm back panel will provide more rigidity and is especially noticeable when there is a socket mounted on the back as you can feel the difference when pushing a plug into 8mm vs 18mm. Don't get me wrong there is absolutely nothing wrong with 16mm carcasses and 8mm back panels but my preference would certainly be to have an 18mm carcass with an 18mm back panel, especially if it costs less too.

• Jonathan
    22 days ago

I think that when a cabinet is completely level, screwed to the cabinets either side, fixed to the wall and braced by the worktop there is no additional rigidity required and it’s rare to put a socket in the back of a cabinet.

For many people the question is what’s better 16vs 18mm but I think this is too simplistic- not all MFC is the same density and strength- personally I noticed a real difference between the cabinet weight of a U.K. made kitchen for my Mum (with 18mm sides) and I noticed how light it was compared to my German kitchen at home. I don’t know why this would be but I suspect that Egger in Northumberland use local trees and Egger in Europe use different local varieties- I’m sure there are different manufactured strength and densities available too.

Also my German kitchen has more cabinet and less plinth so there is more of it and more storage space. And my wall cabinets are 10% deeper than my Mums. And my pull outs are rated to hold a high amount but there is no such rating for my Mums.

People assume kitchens are all constructed from the same materials but there are many material and component suppliers who have much choice in their range. One example is Blum who are one of many drawer runner manufacturers. If all manufacturers used Blum then none of the many other drawer runner manufacturers would exist. Furthermore Blum has many different qualities within its range.

So it’s important not to assume that a kitchen that covers 4m of wall is the same as the next one as they can be made from different quality materials, different quality of components, and finished to different standards.

However in the case of the original poster I think they should be focusing on what the door is made from- if you prefer a dark coloured kitchen it can be more prone to show finger prints and some quality lacquers have lower light reflectivity and therefore show marks less than some acrylic finishes and laminates.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.