andrew_smallwood0

Island vs 'open' galley

Andrew Smallwood
3 months ago

We currently have a galley style kitchen and we're about to undergo a renovation.

We are lucky enough that the main wall (3 in pic) is just a partition and non load bearing. We will have to keep an element of the supporting wall (2 in pic) so my idea is to create an island/peninsular off of this structure. We plan on blocking up the current kitchen door to give more countertop space (1 in pic)

My plan is to create an island with a walkthrough but my wife thinks there's not enough counter top space so effectively wants to have cabinets and countertop space all the way down, retaining the galley style albeit with no wall in place.

I think this is a very strange idea, to the point that I don't even know what to search in google to view other layouts like this. In my opinion, it will feel like a school canteen . You would also need to walk through 2 door ways just to get something from the kitchen (admittedly, we do now).

Any thoughts on the two options? Am I mad or justified to think that a galley style with no wall is a valid layout?

Comments (21)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.