webuser_53515471566

What shall I do with this fireplace?

Rachel B
5 months ago

I've inherited this fireplace in the house we bought recently. I'll be honest, I loathe everything about it. Whilst I do really like period features, I'm a much bigger fan of the clean lined slate fire surrounds of the same era, and find the bows and swags of this just too girly for my aesthetic. Plus the mantel is just too high which makes it hard to hang anything over it. But money is tight after doing an extension and loft conversion, and we have more pressing things to spend it on, so for the forseeable future I'm going to have to live with it.

The thing I think can change most easily (and probably the bit I hate the most) is the hearth. Realistically, I'm going to just have to retile, as whilst I'd like a slate hearth, its an awkward shape that would mean custom templating and it doesn't seem sensible to spend the cash on an expensive hearth that we may then have to remove in 3 or 4 years if we get rid of the fireplace. So I'm trying to work out what to do with the hearth tiles. All the lovely modern geometric patterned quarry tiles I like don't won't go with the insert tiles and I can't replace the insert tiles without pulling out the entire surround. Any ideas?

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.