dave_rkg

How to fix botched pain job

dave_rkg
5 months ago

Hi everyone

I rented my house out, as I went away for just over a year. Before I went away, I decided to paint the banister as it looked a bit tired. I started doing it myself but found the sanding difficult due to being busy before the year away/lack of good sanding equipment. So I decided to get a professional to do it. This painter had good reviews, and a friend used them and said they were good. Unfortunately, he sent another guy round to do the job who he had never had work for him before (I didn't know this). He painted the banister without sanding anything and the edges were awful. He didn't protect the floor at all and got paint everywhere. After a day or so I messaged the guy with pictures and told him the job was unacceptable. He came back to fix the edges and clean the paint off the floor, but the banister job was still done without sanding.

I got back after just over a year and the pain has peeled off in multiple places, I assume due to it not being sanded properly.

I have a couple of questions.

- how do I fix this? Can I just clean the banister and paint over one more time and hope most of the paint sticks? Or do I have to sand the paint down to the wood and repaint?

- Do you think it is reasonable to message the painter and tell them to re-do the job? It has been over a year (around 15 months) since his job.

I have attached photos.

Comments (3)

• dave_rkg
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks Sarah. Do I sand the whole banister or just where the paint has peeled off?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.