webuser_154076662

Side return extension/house renovation advice please!

Tanya
11 months ago

Hello everyone!

So I have just bought a garden flat in Bristol

which has a slighlty unusual layout. It's a ground floor flat, with a front living room, bedroom (what would normally be the dining room before the house was split into flats), and a rear kitchen on ground level. Then there are stairs down to a lower ground level at the back of the house which is currently the bathroom, which leads to the garden.

Running alongside the lower ground/garden level bathroom is a lean-to shed which is pretty derelict, and I am assuming the wall between the two is load bearing (although given the fact that this lower ground bathroom is in a sort of 'step-down' in the land I dont know if there is already steel in place).

I was hoping to knock this ?load bearing wall of the large bathroom down and make a side return extension, then splitting this larger space into a bathroom and a bedroom with patio doors into the garden.

For the kitchen I am hoping to put in patio doors at the back, onto a small raised deck with stairs down into the garden which seems straight forward and most people on the street have done similar.

I'm just looking for whether anybody has any experience with side return extensions and what may be the difference in cost of just making the lean to space habitable without knocking the wall down, and just putting a door in the (?) load bearing wall vs doing the full knock down of the wall side return extension thing.

Very much open to suggestions on the whole layout really. I'm keen to fit in a bedroom and the bathroom downstairs as this would make it a 2 bed flat, but I wouldn't want the bathroom to only be accessible through the bedroom for obvious reasons so would need to divide the space cleverly if so. Alternatively I keep every room as is at the moment and just convert the side return with a door into it and make it a utility room or something.

Floor plan:

Rear currently

Proposed rear:

Any help or advice appreciated!!

Tanya :)

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.