webuser_126633775

Help with 3rd party wall

Rowena Cox
last year

Hi all,

I wonder if I could get a bit of advice? Our neighbours (who we really get on well with) want to build a wrap around extension. We have no issue with this in theory.

The only problem is, we also have an extension that was build 30+ yrs ago. We renovated recently and knocked through into the extension. When this happened, the builders found some issues with the quality of the extension, in fact they had to add in some foundations to an area which they discovered had just been build on top of an external (garden) wall!!

We are now really concerned about the risk to our extension, especially with regards to subsidence (high risk area) and the value that can knock off our property if it happens?

So my question is

1. could we ask that our foundations are inspected before any building work takes place as part of the party wall agreement?
  2. what protection/ rights to we have if the worst happens and we get subsidence (or even worse a wall falls down)
  3. and if the above happens do we have any protection with regards to the value of our property? I’ve read subsidence can wipe 20-35% off the value.

Thanks so much for your help

Rowena

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.